Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna Range Closed For Repairs Until 10/1

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    No it isn't. These ranges are funded 100% from the sell of hunting licenses unless something has changed
    I think these Ranges Should be restricted to those with Valid PA Hunting Licenses for this reason.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by craighmarshall View Post
    I spoke to one of the guys repairing the range on Rt 6 in Pike county in September. He said they were repairing the berms and that Toby was next due to the run offs and that the posts needed to be replaced. Doesn't anyone understand that you are to shoot within the posts, not at the posts.
    He also told me their biggest expense is the costs of the back boards. They can order 1000 sheets and they are gone within a month.

I asked why they don't hire some retirees to manage the grounds and supervise (babysit) the guests. Yes, we are ALL GUESTS. They would be responsiable for opening the gates in the morning and closing at dusk. They would maintain the garbage cans and collection of the debris. They would also be the eyes and ears of the POC and State Police. A simple phone call should an issue arise, and the nearest trooper/ranger could followup. After a while, that simple phone call will calm/disperse the situation as they know who is coming. All of this will keep the boards up an additional week and the posts up for an entire season. Rowdies (wherever they may come from) will either grow up or just GO AWAY after a while.

This will have costs as the Retiree's deserve some form of payment. If they collected $2-5 per person, this of course will raise some eyebrows. But as I see it, this is my hobby/sport and everytime I go to the range I am afraid of what I will see.

Think about it, you go there for maybe two plus hours and shoot a few weapons. How many people show up during the day?
    Mon - Wed Maybe 30-40?
    Thurs - Fri? Maybe 30-60 and of course
    Sat - Sun? a Battlion or Division?
    Knowing that the place is monitored and kept orderely would allow me to really feel comfortable and concentrate on why I am there. Yea, yea I know but I am no longer in a state where you can hike for a day and see no one else. Those days are gone. Just to many people

Any thoughts on this.
    I would love to see it policed by deputies. The ENTIRE purpose of these ranges is supposed to be for hunting rifles. Require license to use it, enforce the rules... the fines will pay for themselves

The reason the dipshits shoot the posts is because the backstop is gone, or they want to see what their gun will do to a 4x4... both issues would be resolved easily with a range master
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Not for nothing guys but you have to remember that some people just cannot shoot straight, of course you will have the occasional dipshit that will purposely shoot the posts, but i believe that most of the damage is accidental.

I know a range that has been using the same posts since about the early 1970's the posts are about a 1 1/2 " by 2 inch steel posts , its as tough as a railroad track and just as rusty looking but boy does it work , maybe the park commission should look into using these instead of wood.

Nymacv

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Not for nothing guys but you have to remember that some people just cannot shoot straight, of course you will have the occasional dipshit that will purposely shoot the posts, but i believe that most of the damage is accidental.

I know a range that has been using the same posts since about the early 1970's the posts are about a 1 1/2 " by 2 inch steel posts , its as tough as a railroad track and just as rusty looking but boy does it work , maybe the park commission should look into using these instead of wood.

Nymacv
    First issue- no it's not by accident. Years back when I was a member at BRCV the upper pistol range had a large wood frame with target holders hanging down. When the target hangers were shot apart, the undesireables would then staple their targets onto the edge of the large wood frame and procede to destroy the frame.

Second- if they used steel there is risk of richocet and probably someone would steal the steel for scrap.

(Monroe County)

Nymacv
    You been to any of the ranges? its VERY clear that they aren't accidental impacts...

plus do you have any idea how many "accidental" impacts in the same spot it takes to cut a 4x4 in half?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    You been to any of the ranges? its VERY clear that they aren't accidental impacts...

plus do you have any idea how many "accidental" impacts in the same spot it takes to cut a 4x4 in half?
    I'm guessing a little less than the amount of slugs it takes to break through cylinder block benches.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

Question Re: Tobyhanna Range Closed For Repairs Until 10/1

Nymacv
    No, I have seen the idiots put 50 cal through steel vertical uprights at 50 yards, or use the cross brace for holding jugs, pumpkins etc... I still can not understand why anyone has to have a 50 cal? Go to a range and rent one for an hour, sure. Just don't get it.

(Pike County)

Hunting licenses are not the the answer. The License fee goes into a General Fund and redistributed. The commission gets a budget every year and the upkeep of the grounds is just a portion of it.

The issue here is getting people to be considerate of the grounds and maintainance of those grounds.

It is just like grammer school. If there is no teacher or monitor, the animals take over and ruin it for the rest. In our case, law and order is to costly, so hire some monitors and charge a nominial fee. The idiots will behave themselves and the fee will cover the monitors. The post will survive and the boards will last an additional week which in turn will bring the costs down. If this is NOT done, one day you will see, "CLOSED DUE TO BUDGET CUTS" on the chain across the drive.

(Wayne County)

... I still can not understand why anyone has to have a 50 cal? Go to a range and rent one for an hour, sure. Just don't get it.

Because we live in a country that allows us to have them. I can't understand why someone would own a poodle when you can own a doberman.......

I understand and agree that ownership of such weapons carries a responsibility that not all choose to follow. I support responsible gun ownership not censorship or bans. Often when a government begins banning things they don't know where or when to stop. Personally I prefer they don't begin because although today it is not your weapon of choice that is banned, tomorrow it may be.

Nothing says love like a warm 50 bmg.

(Monroe County)

Hunting licenses are not the the answer. The License fee goes into a General Fund and redistributed. The commission gets a budget every year and the upkeep of the grounds is just a portion of it.

The issue here is getting people to be considerate of the grounds and maintainance of those grounds.

It is just like grammer school. If there is no teacher or monitor, the animals take over and ruin it for the rest. In our case, law and order is to costly, so hire some monitors and charge a nominial fee. The idiots will behave themselves and the fee will cover the monitors. The post will survive and the boards will last an additional week which in turn will bring the costs down. If this is NOT done, one day you will see, "CLOSED DUE TO BUDGET CUTS" on the chain across the drive.
    Once word gets around that unless you have a hunting license or range permit, and you get hit with a 500$ fine, people will stop showing up and ruining the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast