Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna Range Closed For Repairs Until 10/1

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Your absolutely right, But a bullet shot from a rifle at 90 degrees and a bullet shot from a rifle at 35 degrees will not do the same thing, That is why this Hunter prefers to re-sight his hunting rifles closer to the actual hunting season...
    I have heard that excuse before and it's a bunch of bull. I have tested that theory myself and it won't make that much difference.

The other excuses are: "I did not have the time", "lazy" or "I forgot that I had a problem last year". This is the time of the year that gunsmiths hate, they have all of the problem guns dumped in their lap weeks before hunting season and they need it back yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I was up there a few days before the range was closed, it was completely destroyed. Every single target stand was shot clean in half(completely broken) or in shambles, hanging down about to snap. The pistol bench was full of holes (slugs seem to be the favorite), there was trash everywhere. We looked around and even saw someone tried shooting out the cylinder block benches on the rifle range.

That's a serious shame. I saw the pics and that range looked nice, I was going to pop up there one day to check it out.

They need to hide some cameras or do a stake out to catch the people doing this damage.

(Monroe County)

Ugh.... I actually have TIME to go to range with a friend and now its closed... I hope they are back up and running buy friday/saturday, if not I might have to go to *HACK* sunset hill...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I was up there a few days before the range was closed, it was completely destroyed. Every single target stand was shot clean in half(completely broken) or in shambles, hanging down about to snap. The pistol bench was full of holes (slugs seem to be the favorite), there was trash everywhere. We looked around and even saw someone tried shooting out the cylinder block benches on the rifle range.
    yup, about what I would expect... look at what you have shooting there and look at what is in the area. Does this surprise anyone?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    yup, about what I would expect... look at what you have shooting there and look at what is in the area. Does this surprise anyone?

As do I.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Not at all...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    no, but the PCG has made no effort to penalize the idiots who break range rules. I and others i have shot with have called them to report people being idiots, only to be blown off. they would rather harass people about the 3rnd. mag limit than enforce actual safety rules (when they even bother to see what's happening on the range.)
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Northampton County)

What a shame. I was up there in the spring only months after it was opened, and back again. There was a lot of damage the first time and new damage the second time.

If I lived up there, and it was close by, and my only other option was Sunset, I would stake the place out. I would organize with others and continuously remind PGC and the cops that we are trying to find these bastards and may be calling them. If legal, I would put my own cameras on the range. People are shooting at the benches and range lines from behind the line. I would drive by in the morning on my way to work and back again on my way home. Mark up the bullet holes with a marker on wood or chalk on cinder block. And try to figure out if there is a time of day or day of the week this is going on. Now, this very well might not produce any info, but I would try it.

(Monroe County)

I'm with what Ungawa said, this is my back yard though i have never been there , but i 'm all for going proactive.

Its useless to sit back and make sly remarks

about the trailer park trash that lives in the area but do nothing about it, hey its your tax dollars too.

(Monroe County)

Still closed as of 11am Friday Oct 8

I can tell that those construction vehicles have not moved one inch since I first noticed the range closed almost 2 weeks ago. No tire tracks whatsoever.

Oh well, sit and wait or pay somewhere else.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I'm with what Ungawa said, this is my back yard though i have never been there , but i 'm all for going proactive.

Its useless to sit back and make sly remarks

about the trailer park trash that lives in the area but do nothing about it, hey its your tax dollars too.
    No it isn't. These ranges are funded 100% from the sell of hunting licenses unless something has changed
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Pike County)

I spoke to one of the guys repairing the range on Rt 6 in Pike county in September. He said they were repairing the berms and that Toby was next due to the run offs and that the posts needed to be replaced. Doesn't anyone understand that you are to shoot within the posts, not at the posts.
    He also told me their biggest expense is the costs of the back boards. They can order 1000 sheets and they are gone within a month.

I asked why they don't hire some retirees to manage the grounds and supervise (babysit) the guests. Yes, we are ALL GUESTS. They would be responsiable for opening the gates in the morning and closing at dusk. They would maintain the garbage cans and collection of the debris. They would also be the eyes and ears of the POC and State Police. A simple phone call should an issue arise, and the nearest trooper/ranger could followup. After a while, that simple phone call will calm/disperse the situation as they know who is coming. All of this will keep the boards up an additional week and the posts up for an entire season. Rowdies (wherever they may come from) will either grow up or just GO AWAY after a while.

This will have costs as the Retiree's deserve some form of payment. If they collected $2-5 per person, this of course will raise some eyebrows. But as I see it, this is my hobby/sport and everytime I go to the range I am afraid of what I will see.

Think about it, you go there for maybe two plus hours and shoot a few weapons. How many people show up during the day?
    Mon - Wed Maybe 30-40?
    Thurs - Fri? Maybe 30-60 and of course
    Sat - Sun? a Battlion or Division?
    Knowing that the place is monitored and kept orderely would allow me to really feel comfortable and concentrate on why I am there. Yea, yea I know but I am no longer in a state where you can hike for a day and see no one else. Those days are gone. Just to many people

Any thoughts on this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast