Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Case trimming/resizing ...

Which case trimmer/resizing tools do you all use? Any trimmers out there that work well in a drill press?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Case trimming/resizing ...

The Lee works well in a drill. Guess you could use a drill press. I like my Wilson better though. It can handle a lot more of the uncommon calibers. I have a Forster but do not use it anymore. Too slow.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Dauphin County)

I use the LEE case trimmer in a hand held cordless screwdriver and sometimes a drill. I havent tried it in a press though.

(Beaver County)

I use an RCBS Manual Trim Pro with an electric drill conversion bought from them separately. The kit comes with some shell plates and some pilot shafts. Its easy to adjust and works well. If your reloading for rifles make sure to spend a cpl extra buck (like 50ish) and get the caliber specific 3 way cutter head. Chamfers, deburs, and trims all in one step. Have a sturdy table to mount it to preferably near a right corner if you use the electric drill attachment.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I use the Lee as well. I have a lyman with the different sized bits that you spin, but have found the lee that you use in a drill works best, but you have to buy each case length gage and shell holder for each caliber.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=1262
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Columbia County)

I use the Redding 2400 case trimmer. It's very sturdy (of course, it IS a Redding after all!), has micrometer adjustments (which are great if you trim multiple calibers), and the cutter head just won't dull! It's hand cranked, but I believe they make a drill attachment for it (not a drill press, but a cordless drill).

I used to have the Lyman universal trimmer. When it worked, it was good. I had a cordless drill attached to it for quicker case trimming, but it honestly didn't make it much quicker. The cutter heads dulled very quickly and the universal chuck arms kept wearing out (like every couple hundred or so rounds). Eventually, I got sick of replacing parts to keep it running, so I switched to the Redding and haven't looked back.

I have used the Lee in a drill press. It was definitely overkill, perhaps cumbersome, but convenient too. Cumbersome because you need to spin the little lock screw while it is in the drill press. Convenient because I did not have to hold the drill. (I now use a hand held drill.)

I like the Lee cutter ball because there is more meat to hold onto.

I chamfer while the brass is still in the drill bit too. Beware, it takes off brass fast while in a drill.

I have not used other trimmers to compare.

(Allegheny County)

I started cheap with the Lee Zip Trim. Nice - if you are only doing a few. But as I shot more .223 the Zip Trim became a real slow process. Then I bought the RCBS Trim Pro from Cabelas for $90 with a $10 rebate. Last night I trimmed 500 cases. I timed my self and I was trimming 10-12 per minute! Using the Lee product it was one to two per minute at best. Of course, I need to chamfer them now but that is easy. My RCBS Trim Pro is the best item I have bought so far for trimming cases. I will continue to use it as I learn to reload the 30.06 for my Garand.

If you go to YouTube you will see that a lot of folks have added electric drills. As soon as I unboxed mine I removed the handle, hooked up my cordless drill and tried it. WOW!

(Somerset County)

I have a pair of Lyman Universal trimmers with the adapter for a cordless drill. One trimmer is 30 years old and still going strong, the other is about 2 years old but hasn't seen much use yet.

Dale

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    I use the LEE case trimmer in a hand held cordless screwdriver and sometimes a drill. I havent tried it in a press though.
    This is what I've gone to...get the cutter with the wood ball. It trims pretty consistently, and is simple. Not very adjustable, but you really can't screw it up either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast