Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: kel-tec p11

(Allegheny County)

Default kel-tec p11

Peace fellow gunners. Was in the gunshop and saw a p11 for 170 bucks used. Found some127 grain +p+ ammo in my safe. Is it safe to shoot this stuff in this gun? I couldnt resist buying it. Had one some time ago and traded it.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: kel-tec p11

Quote Originally Posted by lovn-aks View Post
    Peace fellow gunners. Was in the gunshop and saw a p11 for 170 bucks used. Found some127 grain +p+ ammo in my safe. Is it safe to shoot this stuff in this gun? I couldnt resist buying it. Had one some time ago and traded it.
    Just guessing, it probably wouldn't hurt it, but DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD PRACTICE.

The P-11, as you know already, is a good gun; small, light, easily concealable, accurate, and reliable. But it is not a 105mm howitzer, and should not be fed like one. Recoil is brisk with standard ammunition, and there are no guarantees with +P+ except it should then be a good bit more than merely 'brisk".

Save that ammo for a carbine or SMG.

$170 is a good price, BTW.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Per Kel-Tec you can shoot +P ammunition but it is not recommended for continuous use. If you plan to carry +P I would do some function tests with the ammo you are going to carry, but other than that I wouldn't shoot +P out of it unless necessary.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky-gunner View Post
    Per Kel-Tec you can shoot +P ammunition but it is not recommended for continuous use. If you plan to carry +P I would do some function tests with the ammo you are going to carry, but other than that I wouldn't shoot +P out of it unless necessary.
    I just read the same thing on Keltec's website.

I'm actually in the market for a PF9 or P11 myself, and plan on carrying the same Cor-Bon +P's I shoot in my G19, so I will be doing function tests with them, then all my target shooting will be with regular/cheap FMJ ammo.

(Fayette County)

The Kel Tec website said you can shoot +P for occasional use but they don't reccomend +P+ in the P11.

(Monroe County)

I shoot them once in a while in my PF9,but to be honest with you it's not to much fun,the 9mm kel-tec's hit pretty hard as it is,and with the +p's it kinda feel's like catching a swinging claw hammer to me it's not a fun range gun but i love mine,it hides very well and it has always gone bang when i pull the trigger, i try to shoot it every couple of weeks because it's my daily carry gun.

Thats what I experience its not the best range gun because even in 9mm it recoil is fairly strong. I usually shot mines everythime I go to the range usually the 5-7 yard ballistic drill and speed drills in close double taps out to 15 yards. Which is the best i can fdo with it. It is more accurate then my 38 snub nose but not easy to shoot as any compact or full size pistol.

It is my HD and CC gun so I try to stay up on how it shoots. I use it because its so easy to carry around. In most situation I rather have my Glock 19 or 8040 but in a clinich the PT11 will do nicely.

(Monroe County)

I do not recommend +p+ in anything than a fullsize service pistol or revolver.

Your Keltec will do just fine with regular non+p ammo. It kicks like a mule with regular ammo can you imagine +p+ out of it?

Nyman.