Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Goose Hunting in Lancaster

I know it's an extreme longshot, but does anyone know of any good (or not even good, just legal) public spots to hunt canada goose in Lancaster County, or at least somewhere within driving distance? I've been failing miserably trying to find a place.....Thanks in advance.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Goose Hunting in Lancaster

I'm new to Lancaster County but how about the Muddy Run Dam area?

Looks like they will be stocking pheasants for the youth hunt so it's definitely public access ground.

The PGC has a map for the county, it's on their website under 'Hunting' then 'where to go' or something like that. Maybe that will help

Dale

(Lancaster County)

what about Middle Creek?

(Lancaster County)

I didn't know muddy run was public.....I'll have to check it out.

As far as middle creek, someone told me that unless you enter the drawing for the blinds and get one, you can't go there. I am new to this so I don't know if that's true or not.

(Berks County)

Middle Creek is in the 1 bird a day zone, check the game digest. Good luck starting out in Lancaster - its full of protective goose hunters. Your best bet is to get in with someone experienced.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Middle Creek is in the 1 bird a day zone, check the game digest. Good luck starting out in Lancaster - its full of protective goose hunters. Your best bet is to get in with someone experienced.
    Hey Keystoneman, you replied to my other thread about starting out hunting. Sorry I never got back to you. It would definitely be cool to learn some stuff some time if your still up for it. I took the class and have my license. I have my own shotgun, but don't have a rifle yet. I am interested in deer, but more interested in waterfowl and turkey. I do have a friend in the area that is going to teach me some stuff as well. Just wanted to get back to you and say hi since I saw your post. And I had heard that about Lancaster, that it was going to be next to impossible to find a good spot.

(Berks County)

Hey man, I'd be glad to take you out just let me know. Waterfowl is the only problem in Lancaster County - it's hard to find some good spots not already occupied. All other game should be easy enough.

ps - I'm not a big waterfowl hunter and have only went out a few times with friends but would like to get into it, just need to find an established group.

Middle creek is a draw every day hunting is open and allowed. So, you show up at 0 Dark Thirty, put in for the drawing and when you get drawn, you go to your respective government build pit blind, and do your thing.

Be advised, being public, previous occupiers of said blinds are not necessarily clean, decent, respectful of others people. ie, human excrement in the pit blinds, food, trash, etc...

If ya want to Goose hunt, seriously, go to farmers right now with standing corn and ask them if you can hunt the land when the corn is harvested. Find fields with corn, soy, and alfalpha. its not easy but it'll work. Next, try to locate Roosting locations or large ponds/lakes where the geese roost at night. Follow them to where they feed in early morning and late at night, find out who owns the land and ask permission to hunt.

hope this helps ya a little bit.

CL