Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: OC Encounters

(Allegheny County)

Default OC Encounters

As most of you know I've been carrying for a couple of years and when I first started I was getting grief from sheeple almost daily. About a year ago I purchased a ruger lcp and started carrying that in my pocket and did not OC. In doing this I noticed that a certain 'criminal' element of the population started giving me grief. So, I decided it was time to OC again. I haven't had any negative encounters with law enforcement or any others for that matter since I began OCing again.

I do get looks occasionally but no one bothers me. My uncle mentioned to me recently that wearing a gun on my hip makes me unapproachable.
    "You want more gun control? Use both hands."

(Berks County)

Default Re: OC Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in PA View Post
    As most of you know I've been carrying for a couple of years and when I first started I was getting grief from sheeple almost daily. About a year ago I purchased a ruger lcp and started carrying that in my pocket and did not OC. In doing this I noticed that a certain 'criminal' element of the population started giving me grief. So, I decided it was time to OC again. I haven't had any negative encounters with law enforcement or any others for that matter since I began OCing again.

I do get looks occasionally but no one bothers me. My uncle mentioned to me recently that wearing a gun on my hip makes me unapproachable.
    the way i see it, if someone is afraid to make contact with me because i'm carrying a firearm, then i have absolutely no interest in making contact with that person in the first place. if my gun scares you, then you're one of two kinds of people. 1: a criminal, who is deterred by the sight of a weapon on a potential victim or 2: an ignorant sheep.... and i'm much happier having both types of people ignore me altogether. i have no interest in being around or talking to either type of person.

we all have different reasons for carrying the way we do. i haven't noticed the same trends that you have, but we're two different people. the only thing that matters is that you've found a carry method that makes you the most comfortable.

(Allegheny County)

Great to see you around Ed!! I've noticed the same thing on this side of the creek. No visible firearm does tend to attract the undesirable crowd more of the time than it does while OCing.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Allegheny County)

I have a certifiable defense against anyone approaching me - I just start talking and they flee.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    "You want more gun control? Use both hands."

OC or not, i might also suggest the op take some martial arts classes, or partake in some other activity to build up his inner self-confidence. I can only assume that if he regularly gets bothered, he must be projecting a "victim" vibe. often that comes across in subtle body language. i can say that armed or not, i very rarely get approached by anyone acting negatively, and i'm no stranger to shit neighborhoods (i do pro bono work in some very bad places).

(Allegheny County)

I can understand the bad people bothering you if you live in Wilkinsburg. I have a couple friends that live in or just on the border with Wilkinsburg and I always OC when I visit them (I almost always OC anyways). I haven't ever had a bad encounter there but they have some stories.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown