Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Difference in USA Beretta and Italian made.

Difference in USA Beretta and Italian made.

I was just looking at my 92/96 & Px4 collection and I noticed that the guns made in Italy.

Its the jagged edge at the end of the slide on the USA made Berettas. The Italian made guns this area is rounded and doesn't feel like it will cut you. The Stoeger from Turkey has the same jagged edge where as the PX4 45 acp does not.

Are we just concerned with how many guns we can crank out that we can't take a minute to do it right?

I shouldn't complain I can't get them to FTF Or FTE they shoot like Berettas but they lack refinement the USA copies.

I thought about avoiding USA made Beretta here after but pending price I may not.
    Last edited by Neko456; September 27th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Difference in USA Beretta and Italian made.

The reasoning is for the M9 contract, the guns had to be made in the USA. And to get around the GCA of 1968, which smaller guns cannot be imported. Handguns have to face a point system, which things like size, barrel length, caliber, safeties, sights, and other features count up on a point scale for importation approval. If they are made here, they dont face that challenge.

Other than that, there really isn't much difference.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Its the jagged edge at the end of the slide on the USA made Berettas.
    Which edge are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Which edge are we talking about?

The bottom of rear portion of the slide near the safety, pointed section on the USA model guns. It need to be rounded off like the Italian guns.

This point is so sharp it feels like it could cut. BC the shape of the grip this part would never touch you unless you grabbed the gun really high and wrong.
    But it does exist.
    Last edited by Neko456; September 27th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

(Monroe County)

Looking from the back left or right side? I'm looking and ran my finger down the slide of the 92F and F/S and both are not knife edge.

BTW I don't know what that point system looks at B/C my wife's 84F/S is marked made in Italy.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Looking from the back left or right side? I'm looking and ran my finger down the slide of the 92F and F/S and both are not knife edge.

BTW I don't know what that point system looks at B/C my wife's 84F/S is marked made in Italy.

456 - There is no knife edge just a sharp point of back end of slide under the safety near the bottom of the rear end of the slide. My Turkey/Stoeger and USA made Centurion has the same sharp pointed slide.

(Monroe County)

NEKO, These guns are built on state of the art CNC machines, if its not in the programming the machines are not going smooth out this area, so maybe they are using a different program pack in Italy, companies dont pay semi-retirees to sit at a bench and file away anymore, its all in the programming.

I watched a video of the Taurus factory in Brazil and a video of the Para ordnance factory in Canada in operation and you could have counted the number of human beings on your fingers that were in the factories.
    THe New Italian Berreretas coming from Italy also now comes withe the plastic triggers and guide rods, a downward trend if you ask me.
    I expect my Glock to have a plastic Guide rod noy my Berreta.

(Centre County)

I have both USA and Italian made beretta(Italian 92F and US 96D) and part where Op is talki g about is exactly the same sharp edged.
    There are no difference between the two. Same materialship, same quality.
    I have heard in the past that the Italian made gun have cold forged barrel, but noone seems to be able to verify it.

About the only thing I noticed the between two is that the pins on my US made gun are much easier to knock out.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Venango County)

As far as the sharp, knife-like edge on the trailing end of the slide below the safety goes, I can't say because mine is made in Italy. Though, I'm with mrnyman on this: it may be due to the program being fed to the CNC machines. They are, after all, only as good as the program being run.

However, just to clarify: the trigger is not plastic. It's polymer coated steel, or polymer with a steel spine. I can't figure out which. Slap a magnet on it; it will stick.

Second, the polymer guide rod (not to mention some other parts) was, I believe, done for reliability. It had something to do with being more resistant to grit getting caught between the spring and rod and consequently locking the slide because of the channels along the axes (p. axis). Also, polymer is practically self-lubricating and, of course, rust-proof.

Honestly, those are some benefits I can live with for a part being plastic. But don't take my word on it; it's all about what you feel comfortable with. If you don't like it, buy a metal one. There are plenty around.

Guide Rods @ Midway
    Parts @ Brownell's
    Last edited by jm84; October 3rd, 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Small Revision, Links

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jm84 View Post
    As far as the sharp, knife-like edge on the trailing end of the slide below the safety goes, I can't say because mine is made in Italy. Though, I'm with mrnyman on this: it may be due to the program being fed to the CNC machines. They are, after all, only as good as the program being run.

However, just to clarify: the trigger is not plastic. It's polymer coated steel, or polymer with a steel spine. I can't figure out which. Slap a magnet on it; it will stick.

Second, the polymer guide rod (not to mention some other parts) was, I believe, done for reliability. It had something to do with being more resistant to grit getting caught between the spring and rod and consequently locking the slide because of the channels along the axes (p. axis). Also, polymer is practically self-lubricating and, of course, rust-proof.

Honestly, those are some benefits I can live with for a part being plastic. But don't take my word on it; it's all about what you feel comfortable with. If you don't like it, buy a metal one. There are plenty around.

Guide Rods @ Midway
    Parts @ Brownell's

Right on all accounts. Learn more at www.berettaforum.net. Basically, the fluted guide rod was introduced to help with adverse conditions. The trigger is polymer coated and actually is on most new M9s being brought out on this last contract. The gap between military m9s and retail m9/92fs pistols being sold to consumers is getting smaller. The parts are almost the same nowadays.

When the m9a1 came out, they had the non-coated triggers, but I've seen the newer ones since the current m9 contract now have them.

The difference between usa/italy are not worth mentioning. As said before, the m9 contract stipulated that a factory be built in the USA and that the m9 pistols would be built there. Some cite finish differences in the early years, but it's not really much of a difference now. I think the CNC machining and finishing is pretty much the same with italian and USA pistols now.

Gotta love the 92fs. I had to sell mine for money reasons... I miss that pistol.