Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the major difference in 70 and 80 series Colts?

What are major difference in 70 and 80 series Colts 1911s? I know the 80 series has a firing pin safety block, other then that what are the other differences? I've heard that the 80 series are more accurate. But the 70 series seem to be sought out after more by the shooters and collectors? Why?

(Elk County)

Default Re: What is the major difference in 70 and 80 series Colts?

The Series 70 (More correctly Mk IV Series 70) was introducted about 1970 and used a "colleted" bushing and slightly tapered barrel as opposed to the solid barrel bushing of the original 1911 and 1911A1. The colleted bushing has four fingers which act as both springs and "wedges" if you will to tighten up the fit between the end of the barrel and the slide, thus improving accuracy. The colleted bushing was immediately derided by 1911 fans as a huge mistake and an unwarranted departure from the purity of the breed as created by Saint John M Browning. Shooters and experts predicted collet finger breakage, and nearly immediately reports were seen in gun rag articles where someone heard of someone seeing someone's Series 70 collet missing a finger. Personally, I've owned, fired, and handled many Series 70s Colt Govt Models and have never experienced a broken collet bushing finger. Doesn't mean it cannot happen. However, the trick to taking down a Series 70 is to rack the slide back about an inch or two before rotating the colleted bushing. Trying to rotate the bushing with the slide in battery is nearly impossible even with a bushing wrench, and doing so is an invitation to break a collet finger. BTW, the Commander model never used the colleted bushing, and Colt stayed with the solid bushing for it.

The Mk IV Series 80 incorporated a firing pin block plunger in the interests of shooter safety and (as many held at the time) the desire by Colt to avoid lawsuits from victims of ADs due to negligent design. The FP block was immediately derided by 1911 fans as a huge mistake and an unwarranted departure from the purity of the breed as created by Saint John M Browning. Owners and gun rag writer alike dissed the FP block and the increase in trigger pull force it required. Some shooters removed the FP block parts, others pined for a return to the thrilling days of yesteryear and the Mk IV Series 70 Govt Model.

Nowadays, collectors are propping up the interest in the Series 70s pistols, the oldest of which are 40 yrs old. Somewhat like S&W fans talking smack in the 70s and 80s on revolvers made during the Bangor Punta / Lear Sigler ownership era, but today collectors eagerly snap up BP/LS-era blued and Ss revolvers because they don't have the despised Internal Lock. That's a different story, but it also illustrates the fickle nature of the American firearm collector.

Colt recognized the secondary market demand by collectors for Series 70s guns and a few years ago they brought out a recreated / replica Series 70 model in both blued and SS flavors. It has been a popular seller.

Hope this helps,

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; September 27th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northampton County)

Noah,

I usually like your posts, but this one was rep-worthy

You're a witty guy

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Noah,

I usually like your posts, but this one was rep-worthy

You're a witty guy
    Thenk yew! I represent that remark.

Noah

Noah that was very informative again thanks for your Knowledgeable input.

Where does the KImber classic fall is it closer to the 70 series or the 80 series?
    What about Springfields 1911? 80 or 70 series?

I can't tell my 70 series is a Commander.

(Elk County)

Neko:

The Springfield 1911s that I've either owned or handled are most similar to pre-Series 70 Colts. That is to say, they have conventional solid barrel bushings and no FP block.

As for the Kimber Classic, I am unfamiliar with the specific details of that handgun.

As for your Colt Series 70, if it has a 5" barrel it is a Government Model. Commanders have a 4.25" barrel, and a shorter slide to match it.

HTH,

Noah

(Monroe County)

Yeah Noah is a witty guy foir such a young fellow.

I have a series 70 Colt 1911 made in 1976, it has the Collet type bushing , with several thousand rounds of hot ammo through it i am stillwaiting for the collet bushing toi break .

The Gun is still match accurate. It is retired now but i need to dust it off one of these days.

Noah wrote - As for the Kimber Classic, I am unfamiliar with the specific details of that handgun.

456 - The 1st Kimber that they massed produced before they got so fancy.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    . . . The 1st Kimber that they massed produced before they got so fancy.
    Neko: Back in the day (15-18 yrs ago) when Kimber first made 1911s, they weren't known for reliability or quality of build. Teething problems, to be sure, for the first couple-few years. They have had their act together for some time now and build a good product. However, they were pricey then as they are now and I personally did not consider a Kimber 1911 a good value. I stayed away from them. I simply don't know the details of all the Kimber models.

Noah

Another difference: The majority of the original series '70s and both versions of the reissue have fixed unmarked combat sights. Not so great in anything other than sunlight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast