Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Megans Law notification delivered by Police~

So I get home from work, pull in my driveway, grab the bag of groceries off the seat and grab my Ruger SR9c from the glove box, and start to head for the house. >>>
    Then quite suddenly a local Police car pulls into my driveway in front of my car. Hmmm, I start to think Did this cop see me carrying a gun toward the house and was I about to get tackled?? LOL!

Anyway, he got out and walked toward me to ask if I was the homeowner. We exchanged pleasantries and he then handed me a "flier" notice pertaining to MEGAN'S LAW. The flier has perps address, conviction info, AND color photo!!

Get this... It turns out that just 2 house from me is a "Violent Sexual Predator" residing. Just great! I have several kids.(and wife).

I went inside to give the wife the super news. She was tickled and overjoyed by this info.

{ this was the final push that my wife needed to ask me to take her for her LTCF asap }

So, has anyone ever had this in THEIR own backyard?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Megans Law notification delivered by Police~

Never had a hand delivered notice, but we used to have quite a few within a a mile or so.

And Congrats to the wife for applying for her LTCF. Is she on the forum?

Nikki
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Delaware County)

I know of all the sex offenders in my town and surrounding towns. You can find them on the PSP website....

But 2 doors down?

I'm pretty sure that person would find some reason to spontaneously not want to live by me for "some" reason. Not saying nothing, but they would have their house up for sale within 6 months.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I know of all the sex offenders in my town and surrounding towns. You can find them on the PSP website....

But 2 doors down?

I'm pretty sure that person would find some reason to spontaneously not want to live by me for "some" reason. Not saying nothing, but they would have their house up for sale within 6 months.
    LOL. I had some parallel thoughts myself. It is interesting that on the Megan's law flier it says "This flier is intended for community safety purposes only and should not be used to threaten, intimidate, or harass".

You know, it wouldn't be nice to "disturb" a SEXUALLY VIOLENT PREDATOR.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post

You know, it wouldn't be nice to "disturb" a SEXUALLY VIOLENT PREDATOR.
    But he already served time for his crime, and if the courts deemed it suitable to reinsert him back into society, he should be rehabilitated, no? If he's still a sexually violent predator, why is he allowed back into the community? Why is it fair that murderers can serve time and be allowed to start a new life, while those who commit sexual offenses have to live with that stigma for the rest of their life?

/devils advocate
    Last edited by uniballin; September 26th, 2010 at 10:35 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

nevermind...

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by LilEMT View Post
    Never had a hand delivered notice, but we used to have quite a few within a a mile or so.

And Congrats to the wife for applying for her LTCF. Is she on the forum?

Nikki
    Not yet, but she has been reading a lot here. She is the "Subject" of another thread I posted about her LTCF being delayed by some technicalities at the court house.

I imagine she will sign on here in the near future, maybe. She has an LCP on layaway, and she likes to shoot my AK.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    But he already served time for his crime, and if the courts deemed it suitable to reinsert him back into society, he should be rehabilitated, no? If he's still a sexually violent predator, why is allowed out back into the community? Why is it fair that murderers can serve time and be allowed to start a new life, while those who commit sexual offenses have to live with that stigma for the rest of their life?

/devils advocate
    Neither is ok, both should spend life in prison, and the latter should be executed by the state (coming from someone who doesn't even support the death sentence). A close friend of mine was raped as a child, she is intelligent, beautiful, and selfless. The sad part is she feels she is a worthless piece of shit, and refuses to acknowledge any of those attributes are true(just look up the information, only a small percent go on to live a satisfying, fulfilling, happy life. Most live their lives in agony and torture). I don't want to get into the details, but children never truly recover. Raping/molesting a pure, innocent child is about the most wicked, evil thing a human can do. OFF WITH HIS HEAD! (ETA: Before the mods get something to live for, I'm not telling anyone to do anything to that piece of shit)
    Last edited by jcabin; September 26th, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Delaware County)

But he already served time for his crime, and if the courts deemed it suitable to reinsert him back into society, he should be rehabilitated, no? If he's still a sexually violent predator, why is he allowed back into the community? Why is it fair that murderers can serve time and be allowed to start a new life, while those who commit sexual offenses have to live with that stigma for the rest of their life?

/devils advocate
    I am more lenient on murderers than sex offenders.

Some murderers (not all but probably a good majority) simply were in a bad situation, bad decision, wrong environment, childhood, passion, etc. (all bad things yes). I do think murderers can be rehabilitated and they can truly be sorry for their actions (maybe 1%, but SOME at least)

But sex offenders to children? No, These people have these thoughts, feelings and the DESIRE built into their DNA. You CANT rehabilitate a sex offender. It's like trying to convince a homosexual that they are straight or a heterosexual that they are gay.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; September 26th, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

(Cambria County)

But he already served time for his crime, and if the courts deemed it suitable to reinsert him back into society, he should be rehabilitated, no? If he's still a sexually violent predator, why is allowed out back into the community? Why is it fair that murderers can serve time and be allowed to start a new life, while those who commit sexual offenses have to live with that stigma for the rest of their life?

/devils advocate
    Well, good point, I do not completely understand why we have a "Megan's Law" and not a similar kind for other crimes. Seems like you are saying we should NOT have Megan's Law at all? Not sure.

I do think it is BETTER for me to know about my neighbor than to NOT know. But I am privy to your thoughts about how "he already served time".

I have been over this in my mind a lot. I have MIXED feelings. Imagine if it were you and your family.

Isn't it true that some criminals who do time and are released will end up REPEATING the same crime and that sexual crimes are deemed more habitual than say spontaneous murder or desperate robbery??
    Just asking.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast