Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Megans Law notification delivered by Police~

Quote Originally Posted by s&wpat View Post
    It's pretty obvious to me that anyone who does not have a problem with him living 2 doors down does not have kids of their own.
    Yeah, can I get LTCF for my toddlers and pre-teens??? LOL!!

(Dauphin County)

I believe the site is:

http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us

This is the definition of a Sexual Offender and a Sexually Violent Predator taken right from the site:

Who is a "Sexual Offender" under Megan's Law?
    A: A Sexual Offender is a person who has been convicted of one of the sexually violent offenses specified above. See Crimes Code link on the left navigation bar for additional information about the Megan's Law offenses.

Q: Who is a "Sexually Violent Predator" under Megan's Law?
    A: A Sexually Violent Predator is a Sexual Offender who has been determined by the Court, after evaluation by the Sexual Offenders Assessment Board (link on left navigation bar), to have a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes the person likely to engage in predatory sexually violent offenses. The term includes an individual determined to be a Sexually Violent Predator where the determination occurred in the United States or one of its territories or possessions, another state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a foreign nation or by court martial.

Not all Sexual Offenders are determined to be Sexually Violent Predators. A Sexually Violent Predator is subject to both the registration and community notification requirements of Megan's Law.

See the site for more info.......

(Philadelphia County)

"Hide yo kidz! Hide you wyf!"

Now, that dude may just be a total and complete dirt-bag, barely deserving the oxygen it sucks in.

HOWEVER, lets do keep in mind that things such as "peeing in public" (in the dark alley, behind the dumpster) and "public sexual misconduct" (two consenting adults going at it in a car with tinted windows) or heck, even an 18 year old banging his 17 year old girlfriend, or god forbid, a girl who lied about her actual age, are all things that will turn a normal citizen into a name on the sex-offender registry... for life.

Don't forget that under "one size fits all laws" we are all criminals.

Just sayin'
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Any questions??
    Last edited by sjohn26; September 27th, 2010 at 08:54 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post
    I believe the site is:

http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us

This is the definition of a Sexual Offender and a Sexually Violent Predator taken right from the site:

Who is a "Sexual Offender" under Megan's Law?
    A: A Sexual Offender is a person who has been convicted of one of the sexually violent offenses specified above. See Crimes Code link on the left navigation bar for additional information about the Megan's Law offenses.

Q: Who is a "Sexually Violent Predator" under Megan's Law?
    A: A Sexually Violent Predator is a Sexual Offender who has been determined by the Court, after evaluation by the Sexual Offenders Assessment Board (link on left navigation bar), to have a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes the person likely to engage in predatory sexually violent offenses. The term includes an individual determined to be a Sexually Violent Predator where the determination occurred in the United States or one of its territories or possessions, another state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a foreign nation or by court martial.

Not all Sexual Offenders are determined to be Sexually Violent Predators. A Sexually Violent Predator is subject to both the registration and community notification requirements of Megan's Law.

See the site for more info.......
    It would makes sense to me (and anyone with 2 brain cells) that if someone is deemed a SVP, they should be jailed for life or simply put to death. Releasing someone like that back into society is just a time bomb waiting to go off.

1) I don't believe in Megan type laws

2) I don't believe in Domestic Violence Laws

3) I don't believe in cover the whole gamit of crap and make everyone a criminal Laws.

4) I don't believe in Hate Crimes

5) I don't believe in Mandatory Sentencing, Parole, or frivilous manipulation of the Criminal Justice System based on Emotional Whoopla.

I do believe in a Grand Jury System vs the Prosecurial Subjective Descretion Standard PA has adopted.

I do believe in the immediate death of a convicted felon upon a death sentence being rendered on certain felony convictions.

I do believe more felony convictions should carry an automatic death sentence.

I do believe in The Founding Fathers and their Ideology of Freedom, repayment for crimes against Society and retribution, and the ability to make a former inmate whole, in all legal rights, , with an objective independant administrative court hearing for certain convictions, all others, immediate restoration upon release.

Now, as it pertains to the actual OP, who is to say that the VSP did not voluntarily submit to chemical castration or other off the wall ideas so he could be released. What are his conditions of "FREEDOM?"
    To many variables here to pass 100% judgement on this man at this point.

CL

(Allegheny County)

If you're worried about to, move to an area within 2,500 feet of a school. People labeled as sex offenders cannot live within that distance of a school

That being said, I don't agree with this type of law either - however the already overburdened prison system cannot handle the volume of people who are in it. Parole, Supervised Release and Shorter Sentences are the only way to handle it until we reform the law in general to remove prison sentences for petty crimes.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    If you're worried about to, move to an area within 2,500 feet of a school. People labeled as sex offenders cannot live within that distance of a school
    Hard to say, not always a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    That being said, I don't agree with this type of law either - however the already overburdened prison system cannot handle the volume of people who are in it. Parole, Supervised Release and Shorter Sentences are the only way to handle it until we reform the law in general to remove prison sentences for petty crimes.
    I agree with what you're saying. However there should be certain exceptions, such as sex offenders being sentenced to the maximum allowed in the guidelines, then serving the entire sentence, always. I would be okay if we let the 20 people out who were caught smoking a joint if it allowed us to keep sex offenders IN.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    lets do keep in mind that things such as "peeing in public" (in the dark alley, behind the dumpster) and "public sexual misconduct" (two consenting adults going at it in a car with tinted windows) or heck, even an 18 year old banging his 17 year old girlfriend, or god forbid, a girl who lied about her actual age, are all things that will turn a normal citizen into a name on the sex-offender registry... for life.

Don't forget that under "one size fits all laws" we are all criminals.

None of the things listed above will make you a Megans law offender.
    Public urination NOT A CHANCE!
    Two consenting adults have sex in a car NO WAY! Indecent exposure YES!
    Likley no!
    17 And 18 year old can have consual sex. A 16 yo may consent with a partner 4 years older than them. a 16 yo and 20 yo can consent. A 16 yo and 21 yo can not !
    The girl who lies about her age ahh and interesting one! There is defense for mistake as to age! I would cite the section in the crimes code I just dont know how to flip the info over. The best thing I can say about hooking up with a younger chick is ask to see her ID!

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    None of the things listed above will make you a Megans law offender.
    Public urination NOT A CHANCE!
    Two consenting adults have sex in a car NO WAY! Indecent exposure YES!
    Likley no!
    17 And 18 year old can have consual sex. A 16 yo may consent with a partner 4 years older than them. a 16 yo and 20 yo can consent. A 16 yo and 21 yo can not !
    The girl who lies about her age ahh and interesting one! There is defense for mistake as to age! I would cite the section in the crimes code I just dont know how to flip the info over. The best thing I can say about hooking up with a younger chick is ask to see her ID!

IANAL

Maybe not in Pennsylvania but in some states, they surely do!! The point is, Megan Laws are Bull Crap and go along with many other Emotionally Charged Legislative Actions taken to make people "FEEL" good but do nothing to actually address the issue. Bad Social Policy allowed to flow into our criminal justice system.

CL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast