Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default My first 1911. Charles Daly EFS. Why can't I fit 8 rounds in the mag?

Just picked up a used Charles Daly EFS.

Ambi Safety
    Extended release
    Skeleton trigger and hammer
    and extended beaver tail

So I tried to load her tonight and all is well, the mag says that it holds 8. But the eighth round is extremely hard to get in. When you finally do, the mag won't load.

Seems to be a very well machined piece. Same factory as RIA from what I gather.

Thanks guys!

(Erie County)

Default Re: My first 1911. Charles Daly EFS. Why can't I fit 8 rounds in the mag?

The stock follower may have been replaced. If it's reliable with 7 rounds, stick with that. Either way, you'll want some new mags eventually. CMC, Tripp & Wilson all make great 8 rounders.

Default Re: My first 1911. Charles Daly EFS. Why can't I fit 8 rounds in the mag?

1911 magazines are so cheap or plentiful if you want a reliable 8 shot buy a Wilson and use the CD mag with 7 shots. Like all 1911 stuff you have 100s of options from 6 shots to 15 shot mags. If that all your problem you don't have any really some 191s won't load 230 hjp.

(Franklin County)

Talking Re: My first 1911. Charles Daly EFS. Why can't I fit 8 rounds in the mag?

I don't want to hurt your feelings but, if you can't hit what your aiming at with 7 shots, throw the gun at the target.

Quote Originally Posted by r.l.cline3 View Post
    I don't want to hurt your feelings but, if you can't hit what your aiming at with 7 shots, throw the gun at the target.

Its not a matter of hitting the target , what if he has more than 7 targets or is participating in some sort of shooting competition. Speaking from experance. I would love to shoot my 1911's in some of the shoots that I go to but I can't compete against the magazine capacities of double stack pistol. I am actually going to getting some 10rd mags at York this weekend (cross fingers)
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Monroe County)

I have the same problem with my New Para ord LTC, it wont take 8 round mags not even my Wilsons that work with everything else so i donrt force the issue because i know that John Browning designed these things to work with 7 round mags. TINTS some guns wont work with 8 rounders.

Nyman

(Berks County)

Was playing around with the mag lastnight.

The mag WILL load with 8 rounds IF the slide is locked back. So I can load a mag with 8 rounds, insert into the 1911, and release the slide, It WILL load a round but I cannot drop the mag and load another round to be 8+1. Doing so would require me to rack the slide, ejecting the round in the chamber.

What would cause the 1911 to not allow a mag to be loaded without the slide locked back? I had a 9mm 3.75" model and this was not an issue.

(York County)

Are you positive it is an 8 round mag? Are there round indicators/ witness holes on it?

Most 1911's I have bought came with factory 7 round mags. I know all Springfield's and most Colts have 7 rounders, not sure about CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Was playing around with the mag lastnight.

The mag WILL load with 8 rounds IF the slide is locked back. So I can load a mag with 8 rounds, insert into the 1911, and release the slide, It WILL load a round but I cannot drop the mag and load another round to be 8+1. Doing so would require me to rack the slide, ejecting the round in the chamber.

What would cause the 1911 to not allow a mag to be loaded without the slide locked back? I had a 9mm 3.75" model and this was not an issue.
    If the follower wasn't replaced as previously mentioned, my best guess would be that the mag is a POS. You stated that it's extremely hard to get the 8th round in. For a 1911 mag to work right, the mag spring needs to give a little. In other words, the entire stack of bullets will move down a tad when the mag is inserted with a closed slide. If there is no more room for the stack to shift downwards, it's no go.

When the slide is open, nothing is pushing on the stack. When the slide is closed, the whole stack needs to move down like a 1/4 inch.
    Last edited by JP8; September 30th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by r.l.cline3 View Post
    Welcome to the forum to you too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast