Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P228

Default Sig P228

Guys I'm in the process of trading for a Sig p228 with a KF date code, which I'm pretty excited about but I'm not that familiar with the 228. I know they are 9mm double stack and the overall dimensions are that of the 229. What can you guys tell me about them, I would like to hear from you Sig guys on this especially if you own or have owned one. I have done a little checking around about them and I know they are desirable cause they were made in Germany; which is something else I don't get what makes it better than a Sig made in Exeter,NH? Thanks in advance for your response.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig P228

The P228 is darn near the ideal SIG in 9mm. Mid size, with good capacity, especially when using 15rnd magazines. Many folks consider the P228 and Glock 19 to be the best overalll 9mm sidearms.
    Alot of P228's were completely German made and assembled, with the later ones being German made components assembled in New Hampshire. The P228 platform as a whole really hasn't had any problems, regardless of where it's final assembly was performed.
    I have noticed some trigger pull differences through the years, some have heavy triggers, while others are firm but very smooth.
    I have 4 P228's and all have been flawless for thousands of rounds. Here's a pic of my original two-tone electroless nickel German made P228, with Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips. This one has about 2k through it without any issues, using Mec-Gar 15rnd magazines, and has been my EDC for awhile now.
    Excellent choice with the P228, KF date code would be 1995 manufacture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

The 228 is a great gun with extremely good balance and a great stock trigger.

The German made 228's are of exceptional quality and value if they have a low round count.

My only complaint about SIGs are that the finishes tend to be less durable than HK and Glocks.

DA/SA without a safety, arguably one of the best semi 9mm combat guns ever made.

All of my Sigs were made in Exeter, NH. I have carried my 220 Elite Stainless as my duty weapon, my 229 Elite in 9mm as CC weapon and my P238 Gen 2 SAS as a backup or pocket holster gun. I have fired hundreds of rounds through all of my Sigs and none have yet failed. A better gun than my 229 is a tall order, I kind of have trouble believing that somehow the 228s are any better for being German made. I don't doubt that there are likely some build differences, but I don't think you can get a much better handgun than a 229. Especially a top of the line model like mine.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Chester County)

Currently I have a West German 1994 Sig 228 which I will be selling to a member here shortly. It is a very well balanced 9mm, straight shooter, 100% reliable with every type of round. Me personally, I just dont like the grip, it just doesnt fit my hand very well. It conceals better than a G19 with the right holster. I would definately suggest the siglite sights though. I had those on my P6 and they were 1000 times better than the old bar dot sights. As for being made in West Germany I have no clue what makes it any better than a NH made one.

scbaldr the main design difference is the 228 has a thinner slide the only way the 229 is better is if its in 40 and thats only because the 228 is 9mm only not downing new sigs but the German ones are worth lots more because they cannot be acquired and the newer sigs are still great guns the main reason people want the German ones are because of the value they are worth more and unless you tear them up they gain value where as newer sigs lose value for being used instead of new

The reason P228's are 9mm only is that they use a "folded" carbon steel slide. That is the slide is a fabricated piece, starting life as a piece of flat-stock, then folded and welded (and machined) to the proper configuration. The carbon slides have pinned-in breach blocks, using a roll pin. There is also a tapered flat milled into the top of the slide fprward of the ejection port.

Sig went to the monolithic (integral breach-block) milled SS slide when they chambered the gun for the higher pressure .40 S&W and .357 Sig rounds, and changed the model number to 229. Both 9mm and .45 ACP are relatively low-pressure rounds and work fine in "folded-slide" guns.

I don't think the 228's were ever officially discontinued. They still make occasional production runs of them, usually for police contracts (the NJSP carry P228's). Also occasionally, they release some for public sale as we witnessed over the last year or so.

The main advantage (to some) of the carbon slide guns is the weight difference. They are lighter and some people prefer the balance of the carbon slide guns over those of SS.

Sig standardized their line by going to SS slide on the P220. The original carbon slide guns are: P220, P225 & P228 - the latter two, when produced, still use that type. (I don't know, but I assume the P210 was also a fabricated slide - blindref can confirm or dispute that). As far as I know all newly produced P220 use the SS slide. I have a carbon slide P220 that was manufactured in 2003 - probably close to the end for that type.

HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

I see alot of relevant information has already been posted.

The only thing I wanted to add is regarding keeping your Sig well lubed. Google the phrase "Flork's Sig lubrication" for a great post on another forum on how to keep your Sig running for a long time.

I have a KF two tone 228 and I really like it. Good luck with yours.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    My only complaint about SIGs are that the finishes tend to be less durable than HK and Glocks.
    This would be regarding older Sig's correct? I've owned several HK's and a couple Sigs and I must say that Sig's Nitron finish is far superior to HK's Black Oxide. The HK finish is super super thin and shows wear far faster than a Sig with Nitron.

( I know, I know.....It's ok....take deep breaths, I didn't want to believe it at first either )

This, of course, is my own personal experience. Yours may vary. On a side note, I have located a company that can black oxide or Nitrocarburize a slide for like $85.00.

To the OP: I have heard awesome things about the 228 and one day plan on having one of my own. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; December 12th, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

(Bucks County)

HK's finish is not only the black coating, but also the protection of the bare metal. HK's finish and Glock's Tennifer are almost the same according to someone who worked at HK.

Back to the 228, yes, the 228 is lighter and feels more balanced than the 229. If you go to SIGFORUM and so a search you can really see how rabid some of the 228 fans are.

The only reason I carry my USPC9 over the 228 is because of the manual safety on the HK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast