Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Buying a handgun in Pittsburgh

What do I need for buying a handgun? Do I need to apply for a permit?

Also, what gun stores do you know in Pittsburgh that sell dependable and affordable handguns?

Thanks

(Venango County)

Default Re: Buying a handgun in Pittsburgh

You need a few things.

1. Not be a restricted person.
    2. Be 21 years of age.
    3. Have money.

That is it. As for places in Pittsburgh that are good, I don't know. I buy all mine about an hour north.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Philadelphia County)

Pennsylvania does not require a permit to purchase firearms. You will need a drivers license and money

As for gun stores, most sell affordable and reliable guns. Unfortunately, affordable and reliable don't always go hand in hand when it comes to guns. You can get a really good handgun in the $5-700 range.

To be a little more specific

1. Bring your PA Driver's License or PA Issued ID, plus change of address card if you have one.

2. Knowing your Social (at least last 4 digits) will help on the background. It helps to make sure that you aren't mixed up with anyone who has your same name.

3. And don't forget the MONEY, like mentioned before.

I recommend Bravermans in Wilkinsburg. They have a pretty decent inventory and the prices are pretty good. Or A&S Indoor Range in Youngwood. There are some other places out there but I've always had the best experiences with those two places.

What kind of handguns were you looking at? Any specific models? Glad to help if you need it.

(Allegheny County)

I'd suggest Ace Sporting Goods in Washington for the best selection if you want to see a bunch before you buy. Island Firearms on Neville Island is small but has some deals from time to time and the owner is great.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks a lot to all people answering my questions

Quote Originally Posted by ksig1869 View Post
    To be a little more specific
    What kind of handguns were you looking at? Any specific models? Glad to help if you need it.
    I am a newbie, I don't know too much about handguns. Just have the general idea that I want some reliable and affordable handgun. Instead of spending hours looking on the web without a clear direction, I thought it was a good idea to ask here so that I can guide my searches better.

For instance, it will be good to know what gun businesses in Pittsburgh do not have a good reputation so that I don't waste my time on those. Likewise, what handguns are better to avoid.

Obviously knowing which business and handguns are good (according to my criteria above) is much better

Thanks again

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pghguy View Post
    I am a newbie, I don't know too much about handguns. Just have the general idea that I want some reliable and affordable handgun. Instead of spending hours looking on the web without a clear direction, I thought it was a good idea to ask here so that I can guide my searches better.
    Good idea to research first. What are your plans for this gun (home defense, concealed carry, open carry, target shooting, etc.)? What is your budget? Will anyone else need to use the firearms (spouse, etc.)? Do you have anyone who can take you to a range, teach you safe firearm handling and maybe let you try out a few handguns? Have you considered taking a class followed by some range time with rental guns? The more we know, the more accurate we can be with our advice.

if you wait till the 10th of next month for the next group shoot at pitcarin monroville sportsmans club you'll have the ability to play with all kinds of hand guns...provided you bring ammo ususally, sometimes not. Get a feel for what you like/what you want to do with it. http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-43-a.html here's a week to last months

Quote Originally Posted by pghguy View Post
    Thanks a lot to all people answering my questions

For instance, it will be good to know what gun businesses in Pittsburgh do not have a good reputation so that I don't waste my time on those. Likewise, what handguns are better to avoid.

Obviously knowing which business and handguns are good (according to my criteria above) is much better

Thanks again
    No problem. There are a few places around Pittsburgh that are some great places. Ace Sporting Goods is one that I forgot to mention, huge inventory and very helpful.

I would stay away from Anthony's in West Mifflin, at least for your first purchase. They are definitely on the expensive side and can be a little arrogant. But they get a little better if they recognize you. I don't know alot of people complain about their service. But they have a decent selection.

And stay away from Gander Mountain, they are overpriced.

Now to the handgun. How much are you looking to spend? What kind are you interested in revolver or semi-auto? Is it going to be for plinking fun or self-defense?

If for just plinking at the range, I would really suggest a .22. You have a few options but the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger MKIII is a great choice. THey can usually be had for $300 and the ammo is real cheap so you can practice alot. Its a great gun to start shooting on. Then you can always buy bigger later. I bought my Buckmark as a third handgun and really wish I bought it as my first.

If for self-defense or all-around gun, a 9mm or .38 special is a great choice. They are relatively cheap to practice with and are very good self-defense calibers. A good revolver is about $500-600 and the same for a good semi. But you can also go used and cut some money out that way.

Looking on-line is a great source of info. Just make sure that you research the gun that you are leaning towards, even after people make recommendations to you. Then go to the shop feel some up and see what feels good to you.

(Allegheny County)

A few other places to check is The Shooters Bench (West Deer) and if you can take the trip up, the Sportsman's Warehouse between Butler and Saxonburg. Both of them have pretty good prices. I can't emphasize enough to stay away from the criminal prices in Gander Mt.

You may now want to carry but it is a good idea to get your License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) There is a link here http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html that you can use to get your the application if you are living in Allegheny. You need to fill out the form, put in two references (which were not called for me), attach a photo (got mine from AAA in Cranberry but there is one on McKnight in Ross), and mail it in. In about 2 weeks they send you a yellow post card and then you have to go to the courthouse downtown to pick up your LTCF. It costs $25 and takes about 2 minutes to get it while you are there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast