Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs down I was not a Taurus basher, but...

My first experience with Taurus handguns was a very positive experience. It was some older 9mm pistol that was pretty damned accurate. Although now that I am thinking about it, I do recall it jamming a bit (the owner was discussing the jamming with the store clerk). Before we get into issues of limpwristing and what not, I should note that the owner of the gun was a railroad police chief for many years (not that being a police officer makes you proficient at operating firearms).

Anyway, very recently, I picked up a new Smith and Wesson 617 revolver. I was in the market for .22 revolvers and I was already leaning towards a S&W. However, the guy at the counter suggested I try picking up the Taurus and seeing what I thought...and with the price tag at about half of what the 617 was commanding, I decided to humor the clerk and myself.

I will say that Taurus guns look great. They offer a lot of models with expensive features for really good prices. However, this gun had quite a bit wrong with it. Firstly, the cylinder wouldn't open and close easily. I'm not sure if this was the cylinder release not being set right from the factory or if this was indicative of a more serious problem like a bent crane/yoke.

This was a turn off, but I continued to play with the revolver and found that more than one of the charge holes failed to lockup at all. Perhaps this was related to the cylinder tightness (not that it matters since it is a very serious safety concern regardless).

I demonstrated this to the clerk and he agreed that it was not right. I hope they sent it back for repair, replacement or a return.

I just don't see how they plan on staying in business (even if their customer service is top notch) when they constantly convert people who formerly had nothing bad to say about Taurus into people who see their one positive Taurus experience as a fluke.

It makes me glad I didn't buy that Taurus 1911, tracker, etc instead of living with regret.

This is just one of many instances (although the others smaller) that I have personally witnessed with regard to Taurus firearms that has changed my opinion from good gun on a budget to avoid.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I was not a Taurus basher, but...

i dont know why people continue to buy taurus. if 50 percent of them are good, thats a failure.

in fact if 9 out of 10 are good, thats still bad.

(Monroe County)

Zacho, i'm glad thast you got the Taurus instead of the Smith 617, the Smith 617 is a beautiful Gun nthat everyone should have in thier collection ,but it is known for being inaccurate. The Taurus 94 in blue steel will shoot the pants off of it.

Yes Taurus reallly really need to step up on thier qc state side they need to inspect the guns before they hit the market, the Brazilian side is busy pumping out guns by the millions without much qc, the cylinder tightness is easily adjusted by adjusting the trhe bottom screw on the sideplate, it will never break in by itself because it is a spring pressured screw that must be adjusted by hand, the factory in Brazil is fully CNC automATED not much human activity so naturally the machines tightened down the screw too much.
    I have 3 Taurus' and they are all perfect from the factory, however i lightened the hammer/return springs on the 94 and 941.

I were not willing to spend $700 plus on a .22 trail gun , the 94 is perfect for this at only about $260 with taxes and is more lighter, and accurate, try to fix it your self or send it off to Taurus before giving up on it.

Nyman

(Philadelphia County)

My buddy had a 9mm Taurus Millennium pt111 a few years ago. It was the first gun he ever bought. I was not even old enough to buy a handgun at the time!

I remember it feeling very junky and cheap. The mag would fall out while shooting it and it had a few FTE.

When I got my Glock 23, I talked him into trading it in towards a Glock. He loves his 26 now. . .

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Zacho, i'm glad thast you got the Taurus instead of the Smith 617, the Smith 617 is a beautiful Gun nthat everyone should have in thier collection ,but it is known for being inaccurate. The Taurus 94 in blue steel will shoot the pants off of it.

Yes Taurus reallly really need to step up on thier qc state side they need to inspect the guns before they hit the market, the Brazilian side is busy pumping out guns by the millions without much qc, the cylinder tightness is easily adjusted by adjusting the trhe bottom screw on the sideplate, it will never break in by itself because it is a spring pressured screw that must be adjusted by hand, the factory in Brazil is fully CNC automATED not much human activity so naturally the machines tightened down the screw too much.
    I have 3 Taurus' and they are all perfect from the factory, however i lightened the hammer/return springs on the 94 and 941.

I were not willing to spend $700 plus on a .22 trail gun , the 94 is perfect for this at only about $260 with taxes and is more lighter, and accurate, try to fix it your self or send it off to Taurus before giving up on it.

Nyman

he bought the smith and wesson, and he got what he paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post

Nyman
    The 617 is known to be inaccurate??? All I have heard is great things about them, besides the price. Now the Taurus 94, I've heard great things and terrible things. The price is definitely attractive but not sure on the quality part

(Montgomery County)

Love my Taurus 85.
    Hated my 94.
    Love my 941.
    Guy at work loves his 1911.
    A coin toss is no way to build a reputation.
    Go figure.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

My 94 was my first and is still on of the best guns I have ever owned. My last Taurus IS my last -- a POS .44 Tracker with two out-of-the-box failures that an authorized 'smith had to work on and thr gun STILL locks up after multiple parts changes and complete rebuilding, cleanings and lubricating!!!

Coulda got me killed in Alaska.

Al

(York County)

yea i think it's a 50/50 shot....i have a pt111 mill pro that is my carry weapon....i have over 1000 rounds through it with not one hiccup...might have got a good one...but i have nothing bad to say about it....

Yea had a SS Taurus 85 that was just terrible. It shot but the cylinder always got stuck and was just a pain to shoot.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast