Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How do you train with your Battle Rifle?

I see allot of guys on this site talk about and own AR's, SKS's, AK's, and such. I was wondering how do you practice with them. Do you typically shoot from a bench? At what ranges 50/100/200/300? Do you use open sights/scope/red-dot/holo? Could you use your rifle accurately in the field off hand/prone/kneeling/sitting?

For the sake of this thread: any "battle rifle", "assault rifle", or "service rifle".

Thanks,
    Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 5th, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How do you train with your Battle Rifle?

For rifles, it's an ongoing problem: not having anyplace to practice anything with movement, barriers, etc...anything "tactical." All the ranges I can drive to comfortably are slowfire-oriented: no rapid fire, limited movement, etc. I have to say, I get more practice in training classes than at the range. At any outdoor square range, there's not much you can do except shoot through your different positions, maybe snapshoot a bit, do reloads if you're ambitious.

I wish there was a better answer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I see allot of guys on this site talk about and own AR's, SKS's, AK's, and such. I was wondering how do you practice with them. Do you typically shoot from a bench/off hand/prone/kneeling/sitting? At what ranges 50/100/200/300? Do you use open sights/scope/red-dot/holo? Could you use your BR accurately in the field?

Hawk,
    That's a very big topic and I'm pressed for time so I'll keep my answer brief:

First, "battle rifle" usually suggests something full-size (7.62x51mm)... the rifles listed above all shoot an intermediate cartridge.

Never from the bench, except for some zeroing. Getting off that bench is one of the most important things that a shooter needs to do if they want to develop a real skill set. The majority of my practice is done off-hand, but other positions should be practiced. I don't usually shoot at greater than 50 yards with my carbine and 25 yards with my pistol. 100 yards is usually time to shoot from prone or at least a braced knee. I typically use an Aimpoint red dot optic on my carbine and iron sights (with a green tritium insert on the front) on my pistol. Yes I can use my rifle accurately "in the field". Of course, "the field" can mean many different things.

(Allegheny County)

i usually run the same IPSC-style drills with my ARs that i run with my pistols...though generally from a bit farther away.

once in a while, i'll go to the rifle range and shoot my ARs at 100+ yards from the bench as well as various offhand positions, but, for the most part, i don't shoot it much beyond 40 to 50 yards (often more like 10 to 25 yards) and concentrate more on shooting while moving, quick target acquisition, engaging multiple targets, mag changes, etc. etc.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't get enough shooting practice wit my AR, but one thing I like to do is sit in a dark room and operate the functions over and over...so I get familiar with it's operation blindfolded! I do this with my pistols also! I feel that you need to know your weapon like the back of your hand before you can truly be comfortable with it.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Distances from 3 to 50 yards. Should try to incorporate traditional shooting positions at greater distances (100 to 200 yards) when time permits.

Drills for the most part consist of what we do in our carbine classes as well as our qual CoF.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I don't get enough shooting practice wit my AR, but one thing I like to do is sit in a dark room and operate the functions over and over...so I get familiar with it's operation blindfolded! I do this with my pistols also! I feel that you need to know your weapon like the back of your hand before you can truly be comfortable with it.
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this practice...I'm not nuts, LOL!
    Aside from everything already mentioned I like to shoot from the most uncomfortable position possible, ideal situations don't always occur in the real world.

(Lawrence County)

Mostly 3 gun. I shoot Tactical class (no bipods) from 5 yards out to 300 yards commonly.

Swingers at 200 are tough......

Lycanfunthoughthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

50 - 100 yards standing, kneeling with iron sights.

And that's with my AK47, AR15 and FAL.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Sitting in the dark playing with your gun...hmmmmmmm...you'll go blind.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast