Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Caspian - I'm impressed

The dust cover on my favorite Colt 1911 Bullseye gun cracked a couple years ago and I couldn't find anyone willing to repair it. EGW refused the job because they had at that time made the decision to take in no work that was less than $300 worth.

Now this old Series 70 had been built by James Clark Sr. into his heavyslide configuration with Bomar rib and accuracy tuner. Over the years I had removed the rib and installed a Weigand bridge and red dot and changed a bunch of the internals including the barrel.

Some searching around led me to Caspian so I went to my local 'smith with a bag of loose parts (everything from the original heavyslide) and asked him to obtain a Caspian Stainless Steel frame and rebuild the gun, returned to its' original heavyslide configuration.

Well the Caspian frame is in and damn it's a thing of beauty! In fact it looks cleaner and slicker than the original Colt frame. No discernable machining marks, no burrs, no grit. The race for the trigger looks absolutely clean. Like I said in the title I'm impressed!

There's still a few more jobs ahead of me so it'll be a week or two before the gun is finished. Now I can't wait!
    Last edited by Brick; September 25th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: Caspian - I'm impressed

make sure to post some pictures when it's done
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    make sure to post some pictures when it's done
    OK. But you have to remember it's a new frame only. I'm not having the whole gun re-finished.

(Monroe County)

yes...pictures are needed, drool awaits!

(Susquehanna County)

Well I just brought it home.

It doesn't look "cherry" and it is now a hybrid.

The barrel is a Nowlin match barrel, sear and disconnector are Nowlin's titanium nitride coated, trigger is a Dlask short length lightweight, hammer is lightweight and firing pin and hammer strut are titanium. All were chosen as a means of decreasing lock-time and all replaced the original Colt parts before the frame cracked.

Trigger pull is set 31/2 lbs. Which is the allowed minimum for NRA Conventional.

Limited testing to date, hand cycling dummy ammo, then live ammo and function firing showed no failures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Well I just brought it home.

It doesn't look "cherry" and it is now a hybrid.

The barrel is a Nowlin match barrel, sear and disconnector are Nowlin's titanium nitride coated, trigger is a Dlask short length lightweight, hammer is lightweight and firing pin and hammer strut are titanium. All were chosen as a means of decreasing lock-time and all replaced the original Colt parts before the frame cracked.

Trigger pull is set 31/2 lbs. Which is the allowed minimum for NRA Conventional.

Limited testing to date, hand cycling dummy ammo, then live ammo and function firing showed no failures.
    Congrats on your rebuilt 1911! It looks like it has a lot of soul and history... I would work on getting a new GS fitted as that one looks like its hungry for blood.

I really like the Caspian frame that is on my Vickers Recon. It has an integral magwell and integral plunger tube that I really like.

Here is a pic:

(Westmoreland County)

Looks great! Congratulations!

They use to have a big part of the Competition world build up guns. i don't know what happened I guess STI, Wilson and Springfield beat them out. I don't hear as much about them any more. I don't mind having a Caspain pistol at a good price. I wonder how do they compare to Ed Browns?