Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Help Selecting A Wheelgun (For the wife)

OK this has probably been hashed over a few times but my search didn't turn up much.

My wife is looking for a small revolver she could carry. Initially she was looking at the new Ruger LCR. But here are the issues:

1)She has had some difficulties with a tendonitis from repetitive motion that she will likely have surgery to correct. It flares up from time to time and reduces grip strength and produces pain

2) She initially (before this started) handled and shot her XD 9mm Subcompact very well... but like many women had difficulty with the slide. My concern: in a bad situation (and probably in a good situation) she would not be able to clear a potential malfunction. (And with low grip strength limpwristing is a definite possibility)

3) She's fired light revolvers (last night a S&W 638 weighing about 15 oz) and found them very painful to shoot even with .38 Special. Although I felt the LCR was softer shooting it weighs only 13 oz and potentially has the same problem - heavy felt recoil. (There wasn't one available to shoot last night)

4) She needs to be able to shoot it enough to become and stay proficient

5) She knows damn well that if she selects a larger heavier revolver she probably won't carry it.

So it occured to me that possibly a smaller caliber would do on the theory that any gun you have is better than no gun at all, when the SHTF.

So- does anyone have experience dealing with this kind of issue, and possibly with smaller revolvers - and a suggestion to consider?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PA Traveler; September 24th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Help Selecting A Wheelgun (For the wife)

Last November my Wife decided she wanted a gun. We tried 9 different guns. She settled on a Lady Smith and Wesson in 357 Mag. Five shot it fits her hand comfortably and she shoots it real well. I started her on 38 spec and now she uses 357 mag hollow points. I picked up a couple of speed loaders and she is now set. Her holster is a leather Galco. We have no no problems with it and now with almost a thousand rounds through it is broke in and looks used. Her words ""it now looks more intimidating." Her words again. "Pink Barbie guns look silly, not scary, and you want scary" We were at the fun shop when she said that and had five guys laughing out loud after she said it. She then looked at me and said what so funny its the truth. More laughter.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Cumberland County)

A model 60 with a 3 inch barrel shooting .38s. Then you have the ability to shoot .357 if needed. 3 inch barrel gets you more weight and a longer sight radius. And it's an S&W.

You could also try a Ruger SP101. A bit heavier than an LCR or an Airweight.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

I'd still like to hear from anyone with ideas... I'd agree on the Model 60 or the SP101... her concern is she'd be disinclined to carry it if she has to add 32+ ounces of gun to her purse.

I looked (on-line) at a LadySmith model 60LS that weighs about 22 ounces empty - it would be an improvement on felt recoil.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by PA Traveler; September 24th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I hate to say the "T" word but Taurus makes a 6 shot 9mm revolver. Might be worth looking into.

(York County)

How about the new LCR 357 magnum? It is heavier(17oz I think), then the LCR .38 so it would cut down on felt recoil when shooting .38 spl. out of it.
    OR
    Not a revolver but did you ever look at the Beretta Tomcat .32 auto? it has a tip up barrel so no slide to rack. + small, light, reliable.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    I'd still like to hear from anyone with ideas... I'd agree on the Model 60 or the SP101... her concern is she'd be disinclined to carry it if she has to add 32+ ounces of gun to her purse.

I looked (on-line) at a LadySmith model 60LS that weighs about 22 ounces empty - it would be an improvement on felt recoil.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Keep 'em coming.
    As of about two weeks ago, Classic Pistol had a used Model 60 snub on sale. It's pretty much the same size as the 638 but has an exposed hammer (though that can be changed by a gunsmith). It's heavier than the 638 but lighter than the SP101.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

(If you hear an echo, it is intended).

If racking the slide of an auto is a problem (and it has become so for Mrs. Flash) the next best is a J-frame revolver. If possible, try the comparison between the airweight and the steel model, fire them both. Any choice will be a compromise on carry-weight versus percieved recoil.

38 SPL 125JHP's will do adequately, and you don't need +P (for all the more you gain from a 2" barrel wiith +P, you probably wouldn't notice any practical difference).

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Agreed. I'd like to see .38 Special as a practical minimum, but she's got herself convinced that it will hurt too much for her to shoot it effectively. Last night the first five rounds double action were OK, but the sixth "hit" her just right and she had considerable pain. Didn't touch the firearm again that night.

A gunshop guy locally (fairly knowledgeable, not your usual chain store "gun counter commado") suggested I try a revolver chambered in one of the .32 variants for her. He described it as 85% of the power of the .38 but maybe half as much felt recoil. Does this make sense to anyone? Familiar maybe with what he's referring to? (It was quite a while back - February or March I think.)

Any gun (that you have with you) is better than no gun at all.....
    Last edited by PA Traveler; September 24th, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: My crappy typing

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    ...Not a revolver but did you ever look at the Beretta Tomcat .32 auto? it has a tip up barrel so no slide to rack. + small, light, reliable.
    At first I thought this was a good idea, and then I thought about it... Sure not having to cycle the slide to load the first round is a good thing, but what happens if you get a malfunction? I thought those little Berettas didn't have extractors. You'd have to pop the barrel open and pry the round out. Bad juju.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast