Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking For An Around The House Holster

We've all heard stories of criminals breaking through doors and catching home owners off guard. I'd like to be able to stash several guns in each room, but that can of course be prohibitively expensive. I do have one on each floor, but I think I can do better.

I do a decent job trying to keep my Glock 30 on me as much as possible at home, but there are times it just isn't comfortable enough. I work from home most of the time, and I'm far more comfortable in swooshy shorts or sweat pants on. Even if I have pants on with a belt, what if I want to lie on the couch, I'll be stuck on one side, which is great for sore necks.

What's a man to do? Would a shoulder holster work better? Here's what I would like. Something comfortable that won't have bad pressure on it in while sitting or even in a laying down position. Be concealed if possible, my wife has enough things she can make fun of me for. Not attach directly to clothing. If it comes in contact with the skin, not to be irritating. Maybe something I could easily rotate on my body, but still be secure. A fast draw is not as important as what was mentioned above.

Anyone have any ideas?

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Looking For An Around The House Holster

Try looking on line for a product called Thunderwear should be what you are looking for.

Mike Mc

(Franklin County)

I agree with Swamp Yankee, but I chose 'Smart Carry' over Thunderwear because I wanted it in white instead of denim, and IMO, the responses to my pre-purchase inquiries were better handled by SmartCarry. I've actually taken a nap on my sofa while wearing the SmartCarry. It's quite comfortable.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

That doesn't look comfortable at all.

(Philadelphia County)

I use a cheap Uncle Mike's holster. They have a high velvet backing so its comfortable against your skin and a decent clip. You can't beat it for the money.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

That doesn't look comfortable at all.
    IMO, it's just like an IWB holster. You can't size your pants so they're just loose enough for you to breath, and then throw a firearm in an IWB into the mix and expect it to be comfortable.

There are some pairs of pants that I wouldn't wear in combination with my SmartCarry, and others where it's almost as if it isn't even there.

Also, IMO, the photo shows a mismatched firearm/holster size, as well as shorts that might be a bit tighter than they should be with that setup. I think it's a bit "staged" and misleading as to actual use conditions.

My holster was sized specifically for the model of firearm I intend to carry in it, and as I said, when I make a reasonable choice in wardrobe, it functions exactly as I expect it too, and in a very comfortable manner.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zak215 View Post
    I use a cheap Uncle Mike's holster. They have a high velvet backing so its comfortable against your skin and a decent clip. You can't beat it for the money.
    They are not bad, for about the first two weeks of daily carry. Then they quickly wear out and the firearms starts to get loose which is unsafe.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    We've all heard stories of criminals breaking through doors and catching home owners off guard. I'd like to be able to stash several guns in each room, but that can of course be prohibitively expensive. I do have one on each floor, but I think I can do better.

I do a decent job trying to keep my Glock 30 on me as much as possible at home, but there are times it just isn't comfortable enough. I work from home most of the time, and I'm far more comfortable in swooshy shorts or sweat pants on. Even if I have pants on with a belt, what if I want to lie on the couch, I'll be stuck on one side, which is great for sore necks.

What's a man to do? Would a shoulder holster work better? Here's what I would like. Something comfortable that won't have bad pressure on it in while sitting or even in a laying down position. Be concealed if possible, my wife has enough things she can make fun of me for. Not attach directly to clothing. If it comes in contact with the skin, not to be irritating. Maybe something I could easily rotate on my body, but still be secure. A fast draw is not as important as what was mentioned above.

Anyone have any ideas?
    For around the house I have a pocket gun that I keep in my front pocket in a pocket holster I made. It's more comfortable and convenient than the full size "compact" I carry IWB daily, and better than not having anything and having to hopefully be able to make it to the safe should anything happen...god forbid!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    They are not bad, for about the first two weeks of daily carry. Then they quickly wear out and the firearms starts to get loose which is unsafe.
    Yea I only ever wear it around the house with sweat pants or shorts on. Anytime I can wear a belt I go with K&D leather or my Tucker Leather.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    not to mention that they "sweat through" and expose your gun to the risk of rusting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast