Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Tactical Innovations 10/22 Barrel (no crown?)

I just received my Tactical Innovations 10/22 barrel (threaded, stainless steel, .920 bull, thread protector). I'm very happy with the look, finish, threading, job, and fit to the action. However I noticed that there is practially no crown on the muzzle. If you look really close, it is slightly beveled but its practically nothing. I can't speak of the accuracy because so far I've only shot it unsupported. Should I take this to a smith and have a proper crown cut? Or am I just being OCD about it?

Also my 10/22 absolutely refuses to cycle CCI subsonic ammo. It works fine with CCI standard velocity but seems to short stroke with the subs. I'm using tactical innovations 25 round mags and I don't think its a magazine issue, because its not even beginning to strip the next round from the magazine. Any thoughts on this?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Tactical Innovations 10/22 Barrel (no crown?)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Should I take this to a smith and have a proper crown cut?
    Or am I just being OCD about it?
    Leave it alone it's supposed to be that way.
    Yes you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Also my 10/22 absolutely refuses to cycle CCI subsonic ammo. It works fine with CCI standard velocity but seems to short stroke with the subs. Any thoughts on this?
    Yes I do, subs will not cycle semi 22's, well at least not Rugers. You need to use full power LR .22's with a 10-22.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Leave it alone it's supposed to be that way.
    Yes you are.

Yes I do, subs will not cycle semi 22's, well at least not Rugers. You need to use full power LR .22's with a 10-22.
    +1 to what Rosco the Iroc said. Leave the crown alone, it's perfectly fine. When you have a thread protector, things change. The "thread protector" doesn't have anything to do with the crown, the crown is on the actual barrel. Since it's threaded and smaller diameter, well there you go, not a lot of crown showing. I guess you could have the thread protector "crowned" if you wanted to, but it's not going to have any effect. As long as the barrel is crowned properly and not damaged, it'll be fine.

As Rosco said, most .22's will not cycle subsonic ammo. Lots of .22's are picky about standard loaded ammunition. On a semi auto you just can't expect it to cycle subsonic ammunition. It doesn't have enough powder to cycle the bolt all the way back, which allows extraction and feeding of the next round.

(Bucks County)

My buckmark is threaded and has a recessed crown. I know the thread protector doesn't need to be crowned, and 99% of the time I'm using a suppressor anyway. I was just asking because I know a lot of expensive barrels have recessed crowns, and my 10/22 barrel seems to be just cut straight off, and deburred. I guess its fine the way it is.

(Bucks County)

The actual part of the crown that matters is only a smidge right near the bore.

The recessed crowns are there to protect this small area from damage.