Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Private Individual Transfers

OK Guys..... I have a friend that lives in Pittsburgh that is wanting to purchase a pistol from me here in WV......... What requirements does PA have to legally complete this transfer if any?........ No criminal records so save your breath there......... Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Private Individual Transfers

As far as I know, interstate handgun requires a FFL on at least one end of the transaction. Long gun purchases are exempt from this requirement if bought from a dealer, but not face to face. Your best bet is to go through an FFL and pay the transfer fee while conducting the face to face. (correct me if state laws are different for WV/PA)

(Allegheny County)

It absolutely must go to his FFL, he has to pay the transfer fee and pass a PICS check.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    As far as I know, interstate handgun requires a FFL on at least one end of the transaction. Long gun purchases are exempt from this requirement if bought from a dealer, but not face to face. Your best bet is to go through an FFL and pay the transfer fee while conducting the face to face. (correct me if state laws are different for WV/PA)
    Interstate long gun transfer needs FFL transfer, but can be done in either state. Interstate hand gun transfer requires FFL in recipient's home state.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

OK, so who would you recommend do the transfer? Since he just moved there, Is there anyone along the I-79 corridor between Morgantown and Pitt. that won't charge an arm and a leg?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Interstate long gun transfer needs FFL transfer, but can be done in either state. Interstate hand gun transfer requires FFL in recipient's home state.
    I was referring to "new" from a dealer, not a face to face personal transfer.

Out of curiosity what do most dealers charge to complete this transfer? Also just for reference, if you live in state, and purchase direct from a dealer / store, do you still have to pay a transfer fee? What does it cost in PA to have a background check done? How long does that normally take?

Here in WV all we need is a NICS check and in most cases they are back with-in 30 minutes to an hour.

Damn, I am just full of questions today......... Glad it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!! Have to load mags tonight so that I can decompress tomorrow.......LOL
    Last edited by Blue Cyclone; September 24th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Cyclone View Post
    OK, so who would you recommend do the transfer? Since he just moved there, Is there anyone along the I-79 corridor between Morgantown and Pitt. that won't charge an arm and a leg?
    Have him check out Ace Firearms in Washington, PA. I don't know what they'll charge, but it's between Morgantown and PGH...
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/quipfan/pc_pics/stay_back_100_meters2-351x146.jpg

(York County)

You shouldn't have to pay a transfer fee if buying directly from a dealer. If you buy a gun online and have it sent to a dealer you will have to pay a fee to use his FFL (license) for sending or receiving firearms. The same goes for completing transfers from state to state (in your case).

In Kansas where I currently live, and many other states (I believe PA is the same way) the background check for buying firearms is free and usually no more than a phone call to state your name and purchasing information.

FFL transfers range from $10 or $15 (most places) to over $30. Many stores aren't fans of doing FFL transactions since there's not really any money in it for them, so they hike up their transfer fee.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the check part, I haven't bought a firearm in PA for a few years and I can't remember the process in-store.

(Montgomery County)

PA Pics and Tax for buying a firearm is a little over $5.. $2 for PICS and $3.xx for buying a gun.
    this is generally aside from any other fees a FFL may charge for transferring a firearm NOT from his stock, PA sales tax, etc.

also, in general, FFLs dont charge a fee to transfers of guns that they have in stock, but will charge for PICS and taxes.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast