Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default .410 for squirrels ?

My 7 year old grandson can participate in the mentoring program this fall. Beside being only 7, he also is not very big for his age. I don't want him to get all beat up using a 12 gauge shotgun and I don't trust him shooting into trees with a .22. I thought I would start him off with a .410.

Will a .410 kill a squirrel at 50 to 75 feet? I have killed tons of squirrels with a 12 gauge or a .22 and have absolutely no idea if a .410 will do the job. I always used to use #6 shot in a 12 gauge. What should we use in the .410?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: .410 for squirrels ?

I have shot squirrels with the .410, 20 yards is probably the max I would go with the gun. Here is one of my motto's "Real men shoot .410's". Here's a picture of my son with his first one last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Warren County)

I started out hunting with a Harrington & Richardson .410 single shot, light, handy and good to about 20, maybe 25 yards using #6 shot. Anything beyond that I wouldn't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Lynn View Post
    My 7 year old grandson can participate in the mentoring program this fall. Beside being only 7, he also is not very big for his age. I don't want him to get all beat up using a 12 gauge shotgun and I don't trust him shooting into trees with a .22. I thought I would start him off with a .410.

Will a .410 kill a squirrel at 50 to 75 feet? I have killed tons of squirrels with a 12 gauge or a .22 and have absolutely no idea if a .410 will do the job. I always used to use #6 shot in a 12 gauge. What should we use in the .410?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Mercer County)

we use a .410 for rabbits also ......nice for those head shots with the full chokes.....good little guns

(Montgomery County)

410 like what the tarus judge

(York County)

OP, I have used a Remington 870 Express in .410 on squirrels for years. Before me it was my grandfathers squirrel and rabbit gun. It's a fine squirrel gun.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Montgomery County)

28 gauge FTW.

i didn't think people actually hunted with .410s. thought it was more of a 'raccoon is in the house' type gun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    28 gauge FTW.

i didn't think people actually hunted with .410s. thought it was more of a 'raccoon is in the house' type gun.
    I think it is one of those forgotten rounds. I don't know many people that own .410's. I know I am the only one out of my friends that own one.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(York County)

What choke it is will depend on it's effectiveness. Use # 5 or 6 shot and with a full choke I have taken squirrels out to about 30 yards. (Full choke single shot).

Also like to point out that it is also what I learned to shoot clays at 9 years old with till I was about 14. Moved to a 12ga and suddenly shooting clays was as easy as shooting still targets lol
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Philadelphia County)

The .410 is a awesome round for squirrel. I bought and old H&R for my brother to learn to shoot with and most of the time I use it for Squirrel & Rabbit. It's a great little gun. Many think it's the best choice for squirrel because it's lighter and quieter.

From starting my little brother off close to that age [9/10], Here's some tips.
    #1 Use mostly 2 3/4 shells
    #2 A quality recoil pad is worth every penny.
    #3 Let him shoot to the point where he's comfortable with not voluntarily flinching all them time.

Also if your using a break action, have a break action laying around or just don't want to buy a new gun check out this adapter: http://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-...otgun-adapter/

Just remember, A 12 gauge even with a .410 adapter might be a little to much for the little guy to lug around the woods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast