Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Angry Why does everyone bash Hipoint????

I usually don't go on rants on here, but I've had it with the gun snobs. In reading another post in the is category, an individual had to make the usually "I guess I should by a $99 Hipoint" comment.

Yes I own a Hipoint. It's the .45. Paid a total of $163 with transfer.

Does it work? Yes

Go bang every time? Yes

Accurate? At typical defensive range, a 2 to 3 inch group. I'm still learning.

Sexy? Hell no, ugly as hell!!

Am I embarrassed by it? Yes. But mainly because of the gun snobs.
    Is it my first large bore gun? Yes but you have to start somewhere and it's all I had at the time.

Someday I will own a Kimber 1911, but it will probably be a armscor. Someday I'll own a Sig, but it will probably be a low end Taurus first.

Yeah the Hipoint is cheap, ugly as sin and heavy as hell. But it only had 1 FTE and it wasn't me shooting it and it was limp wristed. I has never not worked after 1000+ rounds.

So why does everyone bash a gun that just works????

mel

(Pike County)

Default Re: Why does everyone bash Hipoint????

If it's what you have and it works for you, go with it. I think that many would prefer a gun that is a bit better in material and finish. When I moved to Arizona in the 70's and took a job where I had to be armed the only thing that I could affort was a Taurus model 80 (their version of the S&W 10). Took a ribbing from co-workers, but it went bang every time and served me well until I could upgrade.

(Delaware County)

Dude...you need to chill a little...but I understand where you're comin from. Everyone has an opinion about this gun or that but the only thing that matters is if it works for you. Let people say what they want and then quiet them by putting a few rounds in the bull from a 'self defense' distance..say about 30 feet.
    The one thing I would say to you is to save your money and get quality in whatever you buy. Quantity will come over time. Be patient and do your homework before putting your money down.

(Montgomery County)

Because it is a Saturday night Special is why peolpe bash them,no way around that.
    I agree with the posted above,save and buy a quality firearm,
    I'm not bashing on you either I just don't understand why people don't have the patience to save up a little longer and don't take offense to my post as it's not meant to offend you personally.
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

(Centre County)

Just checked out their website and read some reviews across firearms forums online. Seems like most people agree that they are heavy, ugly, but very reliable. Most people who have them dont seem to complain. I guess for the cost, they are probably great guns for a first timer or person with little money. Who cares what other people think.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
    Because it is a Saturday night Special is why peolpe bash them,no way around that.
    I agree with the posted above,save and buy a quality firearm,
    I'm not bashing on you either I just don't understand why people don't have the patience to save up a little longer and don't take offense to my post as it's not meant to offend you personally.
    Here's the thing. Because it's a "saturday night special" when I go to the range I feel like every one thinks I'm a drug dealer because I have a cheap gun. Almost makes you not want to go.

What exactly defines quality? Price? Materials? Manufacturer?

I wish I could save the money, but at current spending to income rate it would be 8 years before I could get anything nice. I have one of those jobs with a title and at a company that you would think I make a fortune but no.

Sorry just venting. The patch must not be working.

Mel

(Montgomery County)

You can always get a used gun too,it doesn't have to be new,,Alot of us buy used guns,,why because many of us take pride in our firearms and take very good care of them.I have bought many that you would swear are new but they are not,,you can get a very good deal too.Right off the bat you can save 200 dollars or more by buying used and get that gun you always wanted.
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=melD;130501]Here's the thing. Because it's a "saturday night special" when I go to the range I feel like every one thinks I'm a drug dealer because I have a cheap gun. Almost makes you not want to go.

I am no mind reader, and most times I think I know what other people are thinking I am wrong. I have found I should concentrate on what I think of me, and if you can reliabily hit the target that should be good enough for your self esteem. I have seen people shoot much pricyer pistols and they might as well just throw it at a BG and run away for how they shoot.
    I have never shot one, so I have no opinion, but basic marketing and psycology tell us that people equate high prices with quality. Conversly they equate low prices with low quality.

(Jefferson County)

You wont catch me bashing lesser expensive firearms. I do question why some firearms cost as much as they do. I can understand one-off customs, but not production pieces.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by melD View Post
    So why does everyone bash a gun that just works????

mel
    Because no one likes to hear that their $500-$3000 gun isn't worth what they paid for it. And....people are snobbish. You know the guys....the one's who buy a Craftsman tool set that fills up half the garage......just so they can change the oil on the Honda....... They're tell you that the value is there because of the guarantee and such and then never use the tools that hard. Meanwhile you can go your whole lifetime breaking three sets of Wal Mart tools changing oil and save yourself $1000.......(kind of a bad example....I once broke a wheel stud off with a 3/8" Wal Mart ratchet and a 1" wrench as a bar......the ratchet is still good)

Here's my observations. Gun quality is not linear with gun value. A $1000 gun is not twice as good as a $500 gun in most cases. A $3000 gun is usually not 3 times as good as a $1000 gun, in my experience. It might be almost twice as good.....but real improvements start to drop off as price goes up. And, yes, I have some high dollar pieces.

Take your Hi-Point. The gun runs....good base product......unless you're going to drop it out of a plane or shoot the slide with a .22 or other such nonesense. Not that having a gun that can handle that is a bad thing.....just not necessary. Hi-Point sights are spartan to say the least. They're triggers aren't so hot. But.....they can be shot well. That does make them a value at the price.

Now...if you had to upgrade those sights and trigger and add in some other basic options by a gunsmith (if you can find one who would know how to work on it) you're going to be pushing the price of a Taurus. Add in "Extra" reliablity work and you're in Glock price range. Might as well buy a new gun.

After that, things get complicated. At the $600 mark you can get a really nice Glock......or a base 1911. 1911's just take more work to fit. Why doesn't everyone just buy a Glock? The simple answer is that many shooters just don't shoot that grip angle well. So you pay about $800 for a 1911 with decent fitting.

Fitting is where those uber dollar 1911's are charging for. They're accurate and everything is tight....but very slick. They have triggers smoother than snail snot that are very costly to cut by a master gunsmith. You're paying that extra $1000 so all the beavertail is smooth and the checkering is perfect. They feel like quality. And...to some, that extra inch of accuracy and attention to detail is very comforting. Necessary? Well, probably not.

So....shoot your Hi-Point a lot and enjoy it. You probably won't break 3 of them in your lifetime and I suppose in plinking circles that makes them a better value than the Glock......and much better than the 1911. They aren't a tool for everything, but they have their place.

And...come on down to the PAFOA group shoot on 11/11 at Pitcairn. You can shoot my custom STI and I'll shoot your Hi-Point and we can talk about who has more "bang for the buck". I've wanted to run one of those on a USPSA stage anyhow.

Lycangoodcamping/hikinggunsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast