Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 load ?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: .357 load ?

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Thats why I had mentioned in my earlier post 2400 for 6 and 8 inch barrels. When dropping down to a 4 inch (believe it or not) not all of the powder from the cartridge is burnt upon initial explosion. Its actually still burning going down the barrel and resulting fireball ensues. Try something faster like the Unique you have for the 4".
    All .357 Magnum loads will emit 'some' muzzle flash, regardless of which powder is used or how long the barrel is; unless it's ridiculously long - like, maybe 30 inches - and with a charge that is just barely enough to get the bullet all the way through the barrel. Muzzle flash is simply inherent in all pistols - even with an 8" barrel; although some powders are 'flashy-er" than others. In fact, many of Alliant's powders were re-engineered a few years back to include a flash suppressant/inhibitor chemical (to cut down on muzzle flash); though I don't think that 2400 was one of them, I can tell you that Red Dot (which is a *much* faster burning powder than Unique), Blue Dot and Green Dot *all* still generate 'muzzle flash' (Blue Dot especially).

Besides that all, achieving the higher velocities sought in the OP is simply not possible with Unique - unless you bring the charge up to extraordinary (read: *dangerous*) pressures. Despite (what some might consider) 'severe' muzzle flash, while remaining within chamber pressure tolerances, you can (will, with a sufficient charge) get much better velocities out of a 4" bbl. using 2400 than you can using Unique.

For a .357 Magnum, Unique is a fine powder for low-to-mid range velocities, one of Uniques strengths is that it can be used for a very wide range of calibers to produce 'good' ammunition; but (as far as Alliant powder and Magnum pistol cartridges are concerned) 2400 is *the* way to go (regardless of bbl. length) for low-to-mid-to-high velocities, imo.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Clinton County)

when i commented it's not smart legally to use reloads for "carry" ammo, someone asked if i were a lawyer...nope, just a retired scientist who's read a lot. i believe it was mas ayoob who brought up the likelihood of a lawyer really making a case in a civil suit against handloads...i imagine one would be in enough legal hot water without having to defend against a charge of "intentionally looking for trouble" by..."having super, monster, over-powerful handloads in his gun, your honor."

i used to hot-rod .357s...cast lyman 173gr bullets over 9.5gr of herco (10.0 was the max load in lyman's 45th edition manual). lyman's 49th edition tops out at 7.1gr of herco, so i was pushing it. my s&w mod. 27 and ruger security-six shot the load well, but it would tie up every s&w mod. 19/66 it was used in...brass life was pretty short, too, so now i totter along with 150-170gr cast bullets and 7.5gr of unique in my s&w586.

pre-70s magnum handguns were designed around lead bullets; hi-performance jacketed stuff started in the later '60s. i'm an old guy who's never seen the need for spending $$$...lots of $$$...on projectiles when i can shoot my castings for next to nothing.

budman
    ignorance is fixable...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
    i believe it was mas ayoob who brought up the likelihood of a lawyer really making a case in a civil suit against handloads...i imagine one would be in enough legal hot water without having to defend against a charge of "intentionally looking for trouble" by..."having super, monster, over-powerful handloads in his gun, your honor."
    I did read a couple of articles that had been cited a few times on the Internet where Mossad Ayoob discussed a couple of particular court cases, NJ v Daniel Bias and NH v Kennedy.

In neither case was there any good evidence for anyone asserting that handloaded/reloaded ammunition was successfully promoted as "evil" or proved by anyone that there was any sort of "malice" or "murderous intent" on the part of the handloader.

Mr. Ayoob may seem to be against using 'reloaded'/handloaded ammunition for self defense, but the cases he has discussed bear out that the reasons one might avoid doing so (using handloads for self defense) are not such that a prosecutor could easily 'demonize' one for doing so. The worst I could see (in those cited articles) is that the court might mistake whomever you shot in 'self defense' for having committing 'suicide'.

http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5514

http://www.boiseshooters.com/index.p...ic=1883.0;wap2

i'm an old guy who's never seen the need for spending $$$...lots of $$$...on projectiles when i can shoot my castings for next to nothing.
    Not a darn thing wrong with that.

Myself, for now, it's a lot easier for me to scrimp and save and every once in a while shell out the money for a box of bullets here and there rather than save, and save, and save until I've accumulated enough to buy a: casting pot, a lead ladle, a thermometer, a mold (well, a few molds), lube, a sizer press/die(s), and, well - lead...and maybe some tin...and perhaps even a bit of antimonium (or even to just go out and 'scavenge' for lead); though it is on my 'to do' list to acquire all of those things (they are listed under getting a chronograph), as I said, a box of bullets is just a lot 'simpler' (and seemingly cheaper, in the short term) for me right now.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Clinton County)

bruce,

i got started casting 40 years ago; the equipment's paid for many times over. the big thing with starting casting these days is lead supply...more important an issue than the $$$ for moulds, sizers and furnaces.

budman
    ignorance is fixable...

(Lackawanna County)

bruce,

i got started casting 40 years ago; the equipment's paid for many times over. the big thing with starting casting these days is lead supply...more important an issue than the $$$ for moulds, sizers and furnaces.

budman
    It's a matter of immediate finances vs. sacrifice.

I am sure there is a way to start casting lead on a 'shoestring' budget.

I've read about guys who scavenge wheel weights from local auto shops and junk yards, just use an old cast iron pot (or something similar) and an old Coleman propane stove (or some such), some second-hand molds (maybe off ebay) and don't bother to mess around with things like 'casting ingots' from leftover lead or anything. ...If I was truly desperate (and/or feeling extraordinarily and atypically adventurous), I suppose I might try something like this.

However, the way I see it, for *me* to get started I would want to go with a small/medium sized commercial electric melting pot, (at least) two molds (one for 158gr. SWC .358 and one for 250gr. RN .452), and assorted things like a thermometer, flux and 'mold release' spray - even with all Lee brand stuff - it's still gonna be somewhere north of $200.00 without any lead. In my current financial situation, that's a huge pile of dough to come up with 'all at once'.

Whereas a box of 500 bullets at around 40 bucks each every few months always seems to be far, far more 'manageable' for my wallet.

I fully comprehend that casting my own lead will save me *bags* (big ones) of money in the long run. However, while 'logic' may suggest that I should simply forgo handloading (and, therefore, target shooting) for several months - maybe a year - and 'save up' enough to start casting my own lead... um... yeah, I really don't see me doing that in spite of the simple, undeniably sound 'logic'.

Besides, there are a few other things (such as a chronograph) that rank higher on my 'shooting stuff I need to buy' list than casting equipment, tools and materials. When my financial situation finally 'turns around' (and, from where I'm standing right now, that doesn't look to be any time soon), I will start ticking off the stuff on that list again - but, for now, I'll continue to 'waste' money on commercially cast bullets as I have been.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lehigh County)

Does anyone have experience with SR 7625 or SR4756?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123