Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default got a savage edge .308.... help me out

I just got a savage .308 for a great price. Now I need some glass for it. Any recommendations ?????? Can't spend over 150 on it due to budget limits. Ill get better scope (Lp. Mark 4 probably) next spring when income tax comes. Need something now for deer season and maybe target shooting out to 300 yds. Max

Links for good deals are also appreciated.

(Berks County)

Default Re: got a savage edge .308.... help me out

Nikon Pro Staff 4-12x40 BDC Reticle

Great budget glass, should get you out to 300 yards fine and has pre set aiming points.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pro...Matte-BDC.html

(Cumberland County)

Oops. Sorry guys. I swear I started this in the optics section. I guess I did something wrong when I posted it. Mods please move whenever u see it. Thanks

Also, thanks for the quick reply keystoneman

For "cheaper" but decent optics, there's a few that work well for hunting. Some are right at your budget, or $20 over. I think if you can spend an extra $20 and you prefer one of the other reticles, do it. These are 2 scopes that you wouldn't have to replace right away if you didn't want to. They'll last on a deer rifle, have lifetime warranties, and decent glass.

I like the Nikon scopes, the Prostaff don't have as good of glass as the Buckmasters, but they're decent scopes. I think you should also consider a new Redfield scope. All the reviews say that they dial consistently, hold zero, and have pretty good glass. They are simple, handsome, and should serve you well. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Leupold bought our Redfield and has reworked the scope line. Most people agree that they're better glass and features than the lower down Leupolds. You can get it in a simple "plex" reticle, or with their "accurange" reticle. here's some links of those 2 scopes.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revo...pe-P44468.aspx <<plex reticle, $149

http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revo...pe-P44469.aspx <<accu-range, $159

(Cumberland County)

ok... thank you guys. I am really really considering getting the redfield with the accu-range. Cabela's actually has a deal right now for it with $5 shipping and its the same price. might actually pull the trigger tonight.

I didn't know about Leupold buying Redfield. If they are even close to the quality of a leupold, i would be happy.

Do you think that weaver grand slam rings will work? I have a set of them sitting at home right now. I think I got them at walmart a while ago, but they were the best ones they had at the time. They seem very solid, but I wanted to ask first.

Worse case scenario, I could try them out I guess and see how they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    ok... thank you guys. I am really really considering getting the redfield with the accu-range. Cabela's actually has a deal right now for it with $5 shipping and its the same price. might actually pull the trigger tonight.

I didn't know about Leupold buying Redfield. If they are even close to the quality of a leupold, i would be happy.

Do you think that weaver grand slam rings will work? I have a set of them sitting at home right now. I think I got them at walmart a while ago, but they were the best ones they had at the time. They seem very solid, but I wanted to ask first.

Worse case scenario, I could try them out I guess and see how they hold up.
    You're welcome, glad that we can help you. That's good and convenient that Cabela's has a sale on them right now. Yes, Leupold did buy out Redfield, which is a good thing because for a while they were getting tossed around by some people just making a few quick bucks off of the name, and not making good scopes. Leupold wanted to make them a respectable American scope manufacturer again. They are Leupold quality scopes (in the lower-mid range obviously), without having to pay for the Golden L name.

I've never used the Weaver Grand Slam rings, but weaver makes some pretty quality bases and rings. Are those rings 1" rings? I just did a quick google search and they showed up with 1" rings, so if that's the case, then yes, they will most likely work fine. The main worry is always the tube diameter, which should be the same here. After that you have to look at the height of the rings (low, medium, high, etc.). Depending on the size of the objective of the scope that you had them on, and the objective of the new scope, it'll have some effect of where you might want the scope mounted. Chances are they won't be too low, but if you had some super low ringer for a smaller objective scope, then technically the bell could touch the barrel and that wouldn't work. Most of the time it's not a problem, and people sometimes have the scope mounted too high. Assuming they have similar objective sizes and you had a little clearance on the other scope, it'll be fine. Might as well give them a chance since you have them.

(Cumberland County)

I am 99,9% positive they are 1" rings.

I think I am going to go with the 4-12x40mm

I shopped around and found it on gunbroker for $220 shipped (as opposed to the already good price at cabela's for $224.99 plus tax).

Thanks again. I will report back when I have the scope in hand
    Last edited by jachrist; March 18th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I hate when I set a price limit on anything related to guns/ammo/scopes/etc. I know I am always going to go over it. The GF is gonna kill me......

Oh well. what's done is done

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    I hate when I set a price limit on anything related to guns/ammo/scopes/etc. I know I am always going to go over it. The GF is gonna kill me......

Oh well. what's done is done
    yeah, mine is in charge of my finances as well...I just don't tell her how much things cost or don't tell her I bought them. I then look at how much money she spends on clothes, make up, shoes, and other things that add up to be quite a bit that she buys every day/week/month/whatever then i don't feel bad at all for not telling her.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Wayne County)

Burris fullfield II great scope for the price and they`ll give 50 bucks back or a gps or binos or spotting scope. The scope is very clear and has the fast focus eye ring where Leupold you must turn eye piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast