Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default savage edge .308...... yay or nay???

Hey all,

I am looking for a .308 rifle to start hunting again (have been out of the game for several years due to college).

I just checked out walmart and they have the new(er) savage "EDGE" .308 package with a scope and stuff for XXX (or something close to that).

Any advice on this? I know it doesn't have the accutrigger or the accustock, but I will probably only be shooting out to 250 or 300 yards tops.

I say that because I also want something to play with at the range, and our longest range around is only 300 yards.

Good, bad, or other, please let me know what you know about it....

Thanks

PS I DO NOT want to get a marlin xl7 or a rem. 770/710. And I am not really able to spend 700 for a 700 sps at this time (in a few years definitely).
    Last edited by jachrist; March 18th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: savage edge .308...... yay or nay???

Are you averse to a used gun? Probably opens up a lot of options and deals if you go that route.

(Perry County)

Normally I would have to agree get a used gun. However, "Gun Nuts" just had a review of the edge and the thing shot MOA (1" at 100yds). You might just get the bargain of the year with that Edge.

(Cumberland County)

been looking for a good deal on a used gun, but everything around here is kinda unreasonable for being used.

I looked at a used sps tactical that I really wanted, but they wanted $609.99 plus tax for it. A new one from buds is less than that.
    Also saw a used savage 110 in .308 that they wanted $419 for.

I just figured I would rather spend the extra twenty or thirty bucks and get a new one.... one that I know the barrel will be broken in correctly.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Normally I would have to agree get a used gun. However, "Gun Nuts" just had a review of the edge and the thing shot MOA (1" at 100yds). You might just get the bargain of the year with that Edge.

If it could keep its accuracy out to 250 yards and not spread too much, I would be thrilled with that kind of grouping. Thats why I created this thread. I was looking to see if anyone actually has had any experience with these rifles.

(Erie County)

You can't go wrong with the edge. 308 is a good all around caliber.If they have the same trigger as the Stevens 200, you can adjust it.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    been looking for a good deal on a used gun, but everything around here is kinda unreasonable for being used.

I looked at a used sps tactical that I really wanted, but they wanted $609.99 plus tax for it. A new one from buds is less than that.
    Also saw a used savage 110 in .308 that they wanted $419 for.

I just figured I would rather spend the extra twenty or thirty bucks and get a new one.... one that I know the barrel will be broken in correctly.
    It's a funny thing. I always set a budget for my next gun purchase, then usually end up spending about twice as much.

I just traded in an old Ruger M77 in 25-06 for a Tikka T3 hunter in .308. I had initially set out to get a Savage 10FP-LE2, but the smooth action, awesome cosmetics, notable accuracy, and light weight convinced me to get the Tikka. Perhaps you can find a used T3 Lite in 308? In any case, you probably won't be disappointed in either rifle, savage or tikka .
    Last edited by bricktop; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

(Lancaster County)

look in to a howa ther a good bit cheaper than a 700 but a damn nice rifle
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

(Berks County)

Just curious as to why you ruled the Marlin XL7 & XS-7's out? That's my winner when it comes to a budget gun, when you take the next step up I start looking at the Tikka's.

(Westmoreland County)

I have an edge in 223. It easily shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the first load I tried in it. Haven't played with it any further. I bought the first edge I found but to be honest, I would rather have a stevens 200. The edge's trigger is different than the stevens/savage non-accutrigger and has a few more plastic parts than I'm comfortable with. If you have a Dicks around you, they usually put a savage package gun on sale around this time of year. It's a new style detach. magazine savage without accutrigger for around $320. Not the best scope but a good price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast