Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default My first handgun

Today I bought my first pistol. It's a Kel Tec P11. I bought it previously owned for $215 from a dealer and it came with 2 mags, 10 rounds each.

I've never handled an auto before and I was surprised at how stiff the slide is to pull back. I have to pull on it pretty hard to get the slide into its locked position. Is that normal? Does it maybe need oiled?

Default Re: My first handgun

Congratulations on the purchase. I don't really know much about Kel-tecs, but I do know that some pistols do have a heavy slide. It does need oil(most pistols do), but in appropriate amounts and that is most likely not why your slide is heavy, being that it's a smaller framed pistol, it most likely has a heavier spring. Does your slide stick? I hope you enjoy your pistol and don't let it be your first and last. Shoot it frequently and correctly. Get comfortable with it. Again, congrats on the purchase and your first step into spending allot of money...
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase. I don't really know much about Kel-tecs, but I do know that some pistols do have a heavy slide. It does need oil(most pistols do), but in appropriate amounts and that is most likely not why your slide is heavy, being that it's a smaller framed pistol, it most likely has a heavier spring. Does your slide stick? I hope you enjoy your pistol and don't let it be your first and last. Shoot it frequently and correctly. Get comfortable with it. Again, congrats on the purchase and your first step into spending allot of money...
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

It doesn't stick as far as I can tell. I just got it today, I haven't shot it yet. Since it's used it didn't come with instructions so I've been looking around the internet for information on the gun. I've learned how to break it down and put it back together.

I also learned that it has no saftey. It's 'double action', which I honestly don't know what that means. Like I said, I've never owned a pistol.

(Philadelphia County)

Double-action means that pulling the trigger completes two action. It cocks the hammer and then release it to fire. With single action pistols, the racking of the slide, either before the first shot or as a result of cycling after firing, will cock the hammer and the single action performed by the trigger pull is the release of the hammer onto the round. Single action triggers typically have a much lighter trigger pull since they do not need to pull the hammer back. Some pistols can have the hammer safely lowered with a round in the chamber so that the first shot is double action, and subsequent shots are single action. In the case of a DAO (double action only) pistol, the hammer is not cocked by the slide and every trigger pull performs both actions.

Your best bet would be to check the local ranges for introductory hand gun safety courses. They will teach you the proper and safe operation and maintenance of your firearm for a nominal fee (and sometimes free).

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Double-action means that pulling the trigger completes two action. It cocks the hammer and then release it to fire. With single action pistols, the racking of the slide, either before the first shot or as a result of cycling after firing, will cock the hammer and the single action performed by the trigger pull is the release of the hammer onto the round. Single action triggers typically have a much lighter trigger pull since they do not need to pull the hammer back. Some pistols can have the hammer safely lowered with a round in the chamber so that the first shot is double action, and subsequent shots are single action. In the case of a DAO (double action only) pistol, the hammer is not cocked by the slide and every trigger pull performs both actions.

Your best bet would be to check the local ranges for introductory hand gun safety courses. They will teach you the proper and safe operation and maintenance of your firearm for a nominal fee (and sometimes free).
    Hmm. Yeah that would probably be a good idea. I haven't really thought about it nor looked into it yet. I spent more time with figuring out how to concealed carry while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm a pretty safe person with firearms. I have a shotgun, deer rifle and an AK-47 but I've never owned a pistol. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look into some basic classes either, though. No need to be overconfident.

I've owned the same gun for 7 years now its a excellent CC pieces. It is stiff to operate because everything is so compact. After you get use to working the slide it will be alright. What my complaint is about the gun is its trigger it very stiff for a DOA gun but that's because its the gun safety also.

I was a bit disappointed with it after taking it the range with my other full size autos but then when I compared it to my 38 snub nose I saw where it shined 11 shots instead 5. Better accuracy and just as compact. I was disappointed because it was only accurate (for me) out 15 yards and not even close to being as fast as the 92/G19 or 1911s.

As a HD and CC pistol it will do fine, know there are better guns out there but the PT11 is not a bad one for the money. Its not the best range or target gun for example. Mines has the metal hook holster I can carry as easily as a pocket knife.
    Last edited by Neko456; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Congratulations and good shooting! In addition to taking a basic handgun class - they are different from long guns - google KTOG. It's a kel tec owner's group and there's lots of good experience and advice.

Best of luck and be safe

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Hey Warclaw congrats on the purchase. Just curious why you went with the P11 for your first gun? Just get your LTCF if you havent already and take some classes and you'll be set if you intend to carry.

here is your manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/keltec_p11.pdf

here is a manual for almost any other gun.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

(Philadelphia County)

Congrats, KelTecs are neat little guns.

Here is a link to the P11 owners manual in pdf format.
    There's a dedicated forum for the P11 over at KTOG- KelTec Owners Group.

As for the stiff slide someone gave me some advice I found very helpful. Instead of gripping the slide and trying to pull it back take hold of the slide and push the frame forward.
    Enjoy your new pistol.

edited to add:
    BlueGunGuy is quicker on the draw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast