Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Newbie Gun Club and Range Question

I want to apologize if this is already posted on a sticky somewhere, but I am a newbie to gun ownership and I am looking for a good Gun Club or Range for me and my old man (seasoned gun owner) to join. I live in the Hatboro area and wanted to see if there was any feedback on the local gun clubs and ranges, and if it was necessary to join. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Newbie Gun Club and Range Question

Conastoga rod and gun and lower providence rod and gun are near your area.
    I am not a member of either, however most rod and guns clubs will require a membership fee.

(Montgomery County)

I'm iin the same area -- if you want to get together and shoot let me know. There are public ranges as well as private clubs in the area you might want to look at:

Public Ranges:

Classic Pistol (http://www.classicpistol.com/) -- very nice indoor range, can shoot pistol, shotgun, rifle, even full auto if you have it but max distance is 25 yards. Rate is $15 an hour for handguns, a little more for long arms. Nice selection of rentals as well which may come in handy if you're a newbie and want to try before you buy something new (they also have a decent selection of new/used guns for sale, and a crackerjack gunsmith). Memberships are available if you end up wanting to shoot there a lot. It is a nice place - does tend to get crowded on Saturdays in particular. Search the forum and you'll see what kind of feedback others have on CP.

Wicen's Farm (http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/) - outdoor range in Warwick Twp., Bucks County. Rifle, shotgun and pistol. Fairly inexpensive for a public range ($15 a day) but you also have to pay for "safety badges" for each category of gun you want to use. They're $7 each, but you only have to pay for them once. I've enjoyed shooting there several times.

Target World (http://www.targetworldinc.com/) -- Indoor pistol range at teh corner of 202 and County Line in Chalfont. If I remember right it's $20 an hour. Some folks have reported hassles there about having to draw a sight picture before you're allowed to shoot, only being allowed to shoot .22 your first time, etc. Search the forum for feedback others have -- I have not shot there for many years but never had any issues there (except for dim lighting in the range).

Delaware Valley Sports Center (http://www.delawarevalleysportscenter.com/index2.html) - In Northeast Philly, in a nondescript industrial park. I have not shot or shopped here before.

Clayton's Hunting and Fishing on Route 611 in Horsham is building an 8-bay 25 yard indoor pistol range, but it's not open yet, and I have no info on what rates, etc. will be when it opens. I've had OK experiences shopping there, others have not. Again, search for the forum for feedback on Clayton's.

Those are the closest ones -- there are others like Pistol People and Ready Aim Fire a little further away.

Private Clubs

I can't post personal experiences with these, but they include Conestoga in Southampton (probably the closest, but I believe it has an indoor pistol range only, no rifle range), Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown Twp., Langhorne Rod & Gun, Boulder Valley in Sumneytown area, Paletown in Quakertown -- many others if you're willing to drive further out.

(Montgomery County)

What type of shooting are you into?

(Bucks County)

I would (and have) gone to Classic Pistol, if I were you. The staff there is pretty cool and the facility is pretty nice. I miss the old owners Nick and John, but the place still seems to be well run. Highly recommended.

Been meaning to join Conestoga and try Wicen's, but I've been so satisfied and comfortable at Classic Pistol that I always just find myself going back there.

(Montgomery County)

Our whole family are very very happy members of Delaware County Field and Stream. It is a beautiful club in Delaware county and totally worth the 30 minute drive to get there.

http://www.dcfs.org/

(Bucks County)

I live in Horsham and I go to Branch Valley in Perksie which has something for everyone. I have been here for several years and I think that the club is amazing!
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...