Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Trust Lawyer in York for Supressor

Can anyone in the York area recomend a Lawyer to do me a trust so I can purchase a suppressor?

(York County)

Default Re: Trust Lawyer in York for Supressor

I'm from York, although I am not a lawyer, we have an attorney who handles trusts for NFA items right here on this forum. Shoot a PM to Gunlawyer001. I believe he is north of Philly in Quakerstown.

Highly recommended.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lebanon County)

princelaw.com in lebanon,pa . this is what they do

(Lackawanna County)

I used prince for mine. His law firm specializes in all things firearms related. Not to mention his customer svc is TOP NOTCH! turnaround time for me was 5days.

(York County)

Why not just paper it yourself. The sherrif signs and I have had no problems with him?? Has something changed?

(Wyoming County)

How much does something like having a trust set up cost?

Newb question what is the benefit of trust vs. do your own paperwork ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

If you're 50-60 years old and are starting to plan for your own death, then a trust is a good part of an estate plan.

For younger folks looking to acquire NFA firearms, I don't like trusts at all. They are harder for ATF to verify, more burdensome for the citizen to prove valid, and they come with more fiduciary duties than a corp or LLC. I create LLC's for my NFA clients who can't get a CLEO signature, or want to share ownership, or otherwise convince me that they need to pay more money for indirect ownership. My first recommendation is always direct ownership in their own name.

But if you need an entity, then it's almost always a bad idea to do it yourself, if you lack legal training. Lots of ways to screw up, some of those ways have perpetual tax consequences, others just make the entity invalid (that mostly applies to trusts; once the Commonwealth adds your LLC or corp name to their list, you're valid as long as you keep up with a few fairly obvious requirements.)

I'm not aware of any seizures or genuine threats of seizures based on bad paperwork (despite the bogus scare story that was concocted one holiday weekend), but it could happen. Here's the reason: If you die and you no longer exist, your estate automatically assumes ownership of your property, including registered NFA firearms. Your executor or administrator can legally hold the firearms. But when a trust is found to be invalid, NOBODY owns the property automatically, and for sure nobody can be in possession of NFA firearms that it owned without committing a felony. So invalid trust paperwork can cost you the value of every firearm it owned, and perhaps send you to jail.

NFA trusts are trendy, but so far they are like pretty parachutes that nobody has ever jumped out of a plane with. The test is not whether a parachute can get you onto the plane, the test is what happens when the plane goes down and you've jumped out and you're plummeting towards the Earth, and you pull the ripcord and need it to save you. Trusts are being approved every day for NFA transfers and Form 1 builds; but until ATF comes at you with government tax lawyers to rip that trust apart, you won't know if it will save you.

When the lawyers are attacking your trust, do you want that trust to have been created by other lawyers, or by "good in all 50 states, sorta" software that was created by people who never even thought about the National Firearms Act when they put it together?

I can run some 12 gauge wiring and hook up an outlet. But I'm pretty sure that a professional electrician could find something that I did wrong, something that isn't Code. Law is at least as complicated as electrical work.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

Great post above!

Listen to gunlawyer, he will give you the correct info for what you need to do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    princelaw.com in lebanon,pa . this is what they do
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    I used prince for mine. His law firm specializes in all things firearms related. Not to mention his customer svc is TOP NOTCH! turnaround time for me was 5days.
    I am just finishing up the most painless process in the world with Prince now.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast