Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 Range Report

A little while ago I finally picked up the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 pistol I had been drooling over for a long time. I already have a Ruger LCP; I like the LCP because it's easily concealable and reliable. Beyond that, a lot is lacking. The trigger is ugly, it does not have magazine-activate slide stop, the grip is very small, and the sights are nearly non-existent.

Although I wanted another micro 380 because of the my perceived shortcomings of the LCP, what really attracted me to the Bodyguard 380 was it's looks. I think the gun is just plain sexy looking! After holding it, I wanted it! It's nearly identical in size to the LCP, but packed with features. It has a safety (I don't use it, but some like this), magazine-activated slide stop, good sights, second strike capability, and integrated laser sights. It fits my hands much better than the LCP. The width of the grip (when looking at the gun from the side) is a bit wider which really aids in a better grip.

I was never a big fan of lasers, but with a small 380 having such a short sight radius, I find it to be a useful addition. The laser is fairly stiff to activate. It is possible to activate with the trigger finger one handed, but I find it to be much easier to activate with the non-firing hand. Although it is difficult to activate, I don't consider this to be a fault because it greatly decreases the chance of a battery-draining accidental activation.

I immediately noticed the quality of the build when handling the gun compared with the LCP and especially a kel-tec. Upon taking it apart, the parts were all finished evenly and there were no burrs or other blemishes noticed.

I finally got to take my Bodyguard 380 out to the range on Sunday. I headed out with 550 rounds and full intentions of firing every last one... turns out that was a lofty goal for the day and my hand can only take so much pounding from a micro 380 before I'm ready to call it quits...

Anywho, I did end up putting 250 through it - with absolutely zero malfunctions. It functioned absolutely flawlessly. I started off with 50 Magtech 95gr. FMJs. I then put 100 of my reloads through it - 115 gr JHP over 2.0 gr Bullseye. This was much nicer on my hands, as this is a minimum load. Even with the minimum load, the Bodyguard had no problems whatsoever. Next I put about fifty rounds of increasingly more powerful test rounds through it, ranging from 2.2 to 2.9grs of Bullseye under the 115 gr JHP. No problems with any of them... though the 2.8 and 2.9 gr ones definitely left my hand a bit sore. I then finished off my day with 100 more of my min. load reloads.

I was shooting steel all day, so I never actually measured a group. But, it was fairly accurate - very comparable to the LCP. If I had to guess, I'd say my best group was about 8 inches at 25 yards when I was trying for a group - well within 'minute of scumbag' tolerances. I moved in as close as 7 yds, though I didn't try for a tight grouping at that distance, so I can't really say. All in all, I hit what I aimed at most of the time.

The trigger pull was very similar to the LCP, perhaps even a little heavier. I was surprisingly very disappointed with the sights. The front sight post is notched on the up-angle. Between the upward angle, the notches, and being black, the front sight post had a habit of blending in with the target due to the glare. I found it exceedingly difficult to quickly find the front sight post unless I was under complete shade with no lights to cause glare. I plan on painting the front sight post to correct this problem. Although they were difficult to use, the point of aim and point of impact were the same straight from the factory.

The laser was a bit brighter than what I expected. I was able to see it in daylight (cloudy day) at about fifteen to twenty yards on a white target. I only have one other laser sight for a gun (for my Walther P22) and I can't use that at all during the day. I forgot to bring the supplied Allen wrench, so I could not adjust the laser, but it was fairly close to being correctly adjusted. Furthermore, there was no sign of laser zero drifting.

One big con, thus far anyhow, is the lack of holster options for it. I go running a lot on the local trails around my house and I usually carry the LCP in a fobus paddle holster. I want this to eventually replace my LCP for this duty, but found there are no paddle holsters for the gun yet. In fact, there are hardly any holsters of any kind for it. I found a couple around the internet, but nothing I was impressed with yet.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase and I will sum up my opinion of the gun with a pro/con list

Pros
    -small (nearly identical in size to LCP)
    -ergonomics
    -reliability - so far
    -has a magazine activated slide lock
    -has double strike capability
    -laser (I consider the stiff laser activation to be a good - prevents accidental activation)
    -quality of workmanship
    -accuracy (not great, but good for what it is)

Cons
    -iron sights (particularly the front sight)
    -trigger
    -limited holster options (at present time)
    Last edited by max384; September 21st, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 Range Report

*drool*

my tcp is pretty reliable, but zero ftf for the first 250 is pretty darn good. try any JHPs in it?

what did you pay for it?

(Columbia County)

200 out of the 250 were 115gr JHPs.

I paid $429 plus tax at Gun Toters in Eynon.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    A little while ago I finally picked up the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 pistol I had been drooling over for a long time. I already have a Ruger LCP; I like the LCP because it's easily concealable and reliable. Beyond that, a lot is lacking. The trigger is ugly, it does not have magazine-activate slide stop, the grip is very small, and the sights are nearly non-existent.

Although I wanted another micro 380 because of the my perceived shortcomings of the LCP, what really attracted me to the Bodyguard 380 was it's looks. I think the gun is just plain sexy looking! After holding it, I wanted it! It's nearly identical in size to the LCP, but packed with features. It has a safety (I don't use it, but some like this), magazine-activated slide stop, good sights, second strike capability, and integrated laser sights. It fits my hands much better than the LCP. The width of the grip (when looking at the gun from the side) is a bit wider which really aids in a better grip.

I was never a big fan of lasers, but with a small 380 having such a short sight radius, I find it to be a useful addition. The laser is fairly stiff to activate. It is possible to activate with the trigger finger one handed, but I find it to be much easier to activate with the non-firing hand. Although it is difficult to activate, I don't consider this to be a fault because it greatly decreases the chance of a battery-draining accidental activation.

I immediately noticed the quality of the build when handling the gun compared with the LCP and especially a kel-tec. Upon taking it apart, the parts were all finished evenly and there were no burrs or other blemishes noticed.

I finally got to take my Bodyguard 380 out to the range on Sunday. I headed out with 550 rounds and full intentions of firing every last one... turns out that was a lofty goal for the day and my hand can only take so much pounding from a micro 380 before I'm ready to call it quits...

Anywho, I did end up putting 250 through it - with absolutely zero malfunctions. It functioned absolutely flawlessly. I started off with 50 Magtech 95gr. FMJs. I then put 100 of my reloads through it - 115 gr JHP over 2.0 gr Bullseye. This was much nicer on my hands, as this is a minimum load. Even with the minimum load, the Bodyguard had no problems whatsoever. Next I put about fifty rounds of increasingly more powerful test rounds through it, ranging from 2.2 to 2.9grs of Bullseye under the 115 gr JHP. No problems with any of them... though the 2.8 and 2.9 gr ones definitely left my hand a bit sore. I then finished off my day with 100 more of my min. load reloads.

I was shooting steel all day, so I never actually measured a group. But, it was fairly accurate - very comparable to the LCP. If I had to guess, I'd say my best group was about 8 inches at 25 yards when I was trying for a group - well within 'minute of scumbag' tolerances. I moved in as close as 7 yds, though I didn't try for a tight grouping at that distance, so I can't really say. All in all, I hit what I aimed at most of the time.

The trigger pull was very similar to the LCP, perhaps even a little heavier. I was surprisingly very disappointed with the sights. The front sight post is notched on the up-angle. Between the upward angle, the notches, and being black, the front sight post had a habit of blending in with the target due to the glare. I found it exceedingly difficult to quickly find the front sight post unless I was under complete shade with no lights to cause glare. I plan on painting the front sight post to correct this problem. Although they were difficult to use, the point of aim and point of impact were the same straight from the factory.

The laser was a bit brighter than what I expected. I was able to see it in daylight (cloudy day) at about fifteen to twenty yards on a white target. I only have one other laser sight for a gun (for my Walther P22) and I can't use that at all during the day. I forgot to bring the supplied Allen wrench, so I could not adjust the laser, but it was fairly close to being correctly adjusted. Furthermore, there was no sign of laser zero drifting.

One big con, thus far anyhow, is the lack of holster options for it. I go running a lot on the local trails around my house and I usually carry the LCP in a fobus paddle holster. I want this to eventually replace my LCP for this duty, but found there are no paddle holsters for the gun yet. In fact, there are hardly any holsters of any kind for it. I found a couple around the internet, but nothing I was impressed with yet.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase and I will sum up my opinion of the gun with a pro/con list

Pros
    -small (nearly identical in size to LCP)
    -ergonomics
    -reliability - so far
    -has a magazine activated slide lock
    -has double strike capability
    -laser (I consider the stiff laser activation to be a good - prevents accidental activation)
    -quality of workmanship
    -accuracy (not great, but good for what it is)

Cons
    -iron sights (particularly the front sight)
    -trigger
    -limited holster options (at present time)
    This is not good, if the laser cannot be used by one hand it means that its basically useless, remember these small guns like the LCP, Keltecs etc were not meant to be range queens, they were designed with one purpose in mind only, -personsal self defense , as a last ditch effort to save ones life, a back up weapon if you will, you dont need target type sights, you dont need no laser , you dont need no safety, you dont need no hold open device , you need a gun that you can quickly draw and fire at close range with one hand in case you are injured, being kidnapped or carjacked etc.
    I hope people who will be carrying this pistol is aware of its many drawbacks if they ever have to use it to save their lives.

Nyman

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    This is not good, if the laser cannot be used by one hand it means that its basically useless, remember these small guns like the LCP, Keltecs etc were not meant to be range queens, they were designed with one purpose in mind only, -personsal self defense , as a last ditch effort to save ones life, a back up weapon if you will, you dont need target type sights, you dont need no laser , you dont need no safety, you dont need no hold open device , you need a gun that you can quickly draw and fire at close range with one hand in case you are injured, being kidnapped or carjacked etc.
    I hope people who will be carrying this pistol is aware of its many drawbacks if they ever have to use it to save their lives.

Nyman
    The laser is able to be activated one handed, I just find it easier to activate it with my nonfiring hand. I think it's a fine line between designing a laser that is easy to activate and one that won't activate in a holster.

You're right, those things are not needed... but they're nice to have.

For me, any weapon that I carry turns into a range queen - because if I carry it, I want to be good with it. That being said, those unneeded things are nice.

Although those pocket 380s were designed as a backup weapon to be used last minute close range... that may not be the only situation one will find themselves in while carrying one of these guns. Furthermore, even someone carrying a full-size pistol can find themselves in a situation where they are close range and need to fire one handed. That doesn't mean good sights and other additional features are necessarily a drawback. The more versatile a weapon is, the better it is as a carry piece. Just because it is a small 380, doesn't mean it can't be used in other roles. I just don't see having additional features as a drawback.

To specify a situation as the only one a 380 will be used in is like buying a sports car and only expecting to be put into situations where the weather is nice and the pavement is dry - because that's what it was designed for. One never knows what situations life will throw at them.

(Cumberland County)

Great info., thanks. I purchased my bodyguard 38 about six weeks ago and have yet to fire it because I'm on my third round of returning it to S&W for a faulty laser switch ! The left side is like you say, a bit hard to turn on, but not bad, the right side is almost impossible - they keep sending it back to me "fixed" but they have not done anything, very frustrating. I think they must have had the third party do modifications on the laser or something, because early feedback I read said they activated very easily- mine like I said wouldn't come on at all on the right side, and the left was like you said, hard to activate with one finger unless you were supporting the gun.
    I had a hard time with holsters too - finally went with an uncle mikes sidekick. Wouldn't have been my first choice for holsters, but it does the trick.

(Philadelphia County)

An excellent and thorough review. Rep button broken, but many thanks as I've been looking at it and currently an LCP owner with the same sense of its short-comings as well.

Al

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    The laser is able to be activated one handed, I just find it easier to activate it with my nonfiring hand. I think it's a fine line between designing a laser that is easy to activate and one that won't activate in a holster.

You're right, those things are not needed... but they're nice to have.

For me, any weapon that I carry turns into a range queen - because if I carry it, I want to be good with it. That being said, those unneeded things are nice.

Although those pocket 380s were designed as a backup weapon to be used last minute close range... that may not be the only situation one will find themselves in while carrying one of these guns. Furthermore, even someone carrying a full-size pistol can find themselves in a situation where they are close range and need to fire one handed. That doesn't mean good sights and other additional features are necessarily a drawback. The more versatile a weapon is, the better it is as a carry piece. Just because it is a small 380, doesn't mean it can't be used in other roles. I just don't see having additional features as a drawback.

To specify a situation as the only one a 380 will be used in is like buying a sports car and only expecting to be put into situations where the weather is nice and the pavement is dry - because that's what it was designed for. One never knows what situations life will throw at them.
    Yeah But always plan for the worst case scenario when chosing a small lightweight self defense last ditch gun , never think that the battle will always go your way or the way you think it should go, reality doesnt work that way.

Incidentally i just watch a documentary about a woman attorney that were viciously raped and beaten in her own apartment, the part of the interview is when she stated that she kept a gun for self defense , but she didnt think it could happen to her, .

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Great info., thanks. I purchased my bodyguard 38 about six weeks ago and have yet to fire it because I'm on my third round of returning it to S&W for a faulty laser switch ! The left side is like you say, a bit hard to turn on, but not bad, the right side is almost impossible - they keep sending it back to me "fixed" but they have not done anything, very frustrating. I think they must have had the third party do modifications on the laser or something, because early feedback I read said they activated very easily- mine like I said wouldn't come on at all on the right side, and the left was like you said, hard to activate with one finger unless you were supporting the gun.
    I had a hard time with holsters too - finally went with an uncle mikes sidekick. Wouldn't have been my first choice for holsters, but it does the trick.
    My point exactly, if you cant operate that laser in "peacetime" when you are sitting around in your living room playing around with it , you wont be able to operate it "battle" , when you really needed it yesterday, you wont have time ti fidgit with it to figure it out then, when you heart is pumpiung , adrenline kicks in tunnel vision kicks it, on top of that you might mistake those 3 little levers so close together you might be pressing the wrong one, no you need a simpole gun that you can just point and shoo , no buttons to mistake no safewty to deactivate, no laser to figit with just point and shoot the criminal., thats it.

(Schuylkill County)

This thread needed pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast