Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default cleaning oiling my blued S&W

whats the basics about cleaning a blued firearm also whats a good oil to rub it down with
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: cleaning oiling my blued S&W

Blued S&W what?

Semi-autos usually need to be field stripped for cleaning. Revolvers don't. Do you have the Owner's Manual? If yes, read it. If not, go here:
    http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm find your gun and print your manual.

I use my guns a lot so I don't like coating them with a coat of oil because it makes them disagreeable to handle and it attracts and holds dust which requires more cleaning. But, when I do clean my handguns I soak them in a bath of kerosene, Hoppe's #9, Automatic Transmission Fluid & G.I Bore Cleaner. Soak time is generally 24 or more hours. Cleaning then proceeds as usual with a brass brush & patches for bore & chambers. Brass or nylon brush to scrub the parts and/or around forcing cone. And a general wipedown with a lint free cloth (old tee cotton tee shirts or terry dish rags work fine).

I find the kerosene has a tendency to "plate" to the metal so I don't rub them down with oil. If I had to put them into long term storage, I'd find a way to pack them in cosmoline.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Centre County)

Clean it like you would any blued firearm, rifle, shotgun or handgun. Clean the barrel and cylinder bores with a good bore cleaner using the old fashion method (rod w/brush and patches) or the newer way (boresnake). Wipe down the outside with a high quality lubricant (I like Weapon Shield, which also can be used as a bore cleaner). None of the cleaners in the gun cleaning isle will hurt the blueing (with the exception of blueing remover, which is used prior to reblueing a gun).

Different people do this to varying degrees, some are extremely obsessive about making the gun look like new every time they clean it, others just do what is necessary to make sure the gun doesn't corrode and works like it should. The majority probably fall somewhere in between.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

its a s&w 442
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulls&guns View Post
    its a s&w 442
    The only steel on a 442 is the barrel, cylinder, ejector rod (?) and the trigger. The frame of your gun is black aluminum. The barrel and cylinder need a thin coat of quality gun oil and/or a wipe down with a silicone cloth. The trigger is case hardened steel which will rust if you put it away with sweat or moisture being on it. It doesn't hurt to wipe that down with a silicone cloth, especially if you've been at the range and have sweaty hands.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

RWB is right on. The Smith and Wesson 442 is not a blued steel revolver. As far as I know the cylinder and barrel are stainless steel which has been PVD coated black. The frame is aluminum and it has a coating on it that is nothing like traditional blueing.

This firearm require no special care. Perhaps wiping it down with a silicone cloth before storage is a great idea. However, since this is a carry weapon a good once over ever couple of weeks should be fine.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Yay! Another gun with a turny-thing!

Ham radio: when all else fails.