Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Shipping through UPS?

What does your local UPS office say? Do they force you to do next day air? I've shipped about 5 through 2 different offices and never had a problem. Today my significant other went to ship one for me as I'm on the road and they were telling her it must be next day air only? I've always told them it was a handgun and this is the first I've heard of this? I'm really, really frustrated with them.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Shipping through UPS?

Complete weapons must be shipped next-day air. Don't include the words gun, weapon, firearms, etc on the box.

(Chester County)

IANAL

(Dauphin County)

So...the times I've shipped it without having to do that the workers just didn't care?

I just got back from The UPS Store in Parkesburg (Chester County). They told me that they couldn't "knowingly" ship a firearm. And, they said that if they did ship it for me "without knowing" what it was, I would have to ship it next day and would be charged almost $80! WTF?!

(Schuylkill County)

In order for it to be covered by the insurance for claims, it must be shipped at least 2nd day air. We've had problems with claims shipping through UPS. We started shipping handguns through the USPS in the flat rate boxes. Much better rates.

(Butler County)

I only ship pistols via FedEx Priority Overnight. It's the only way they should take them and shipping them any other method with either FedEx and UPS could nullify any claim you would file if it were to be lost or damaged for any reason.
    I believe that both companies have it spelled out in their tarriff's on-line.
    I had an FFL ship a pistol to me via FedEx Ground and the local FedEx Office saw it was labeled 'Gun' (not a smart FFL) and they intercepted and held the package. I was able to call them and have it changed to Priority Overnight but the pistol could have wound up with the local PD or worse.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    So...the times I've shipped it without having to do that the workers just didn't care?
    Apparently. As mentioned and linked, UPS and fedex both have internal policies that require handguns be sent express.
    Long guns can go ground.

There is no legal issue, just the shippers own policy. The excuse UPS usesd when they switched to this policy was that too many handguns were being "lost" (stolen by their employees). So their solution was to screw the rest of us. But I digress
    So by shipping handguns via ground service the only repercussion is that if it was "lost" they would probably deny, or try to deny, your insurance claim since
    you didn't follow their procedure.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    I had an FFL ship a pistol to me via FedEx Ground and the local FedEx Office saw it was labeled 'Gun' (not a smart FFL) and they intercepted and held the package. I was able to call them and have it changed to Priority Overnight but the pistol could have wound up with the local PD or worse.
    That would have been very dumb (and possibly illegal, IE:theft) for them to do. Violating their policy does not contraband make.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

I just mailed a rifle 2-3 day shipping for $30. No bull about being required to use the most expensive overnight shipping with armed guard protection. Could've sent it first class but wanted it there a bit quicker to get it back sooner. And the over night shipping option was $70, UPS and Fedex would've been over $100.