Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 1st glock

Default my 1st glock

my 1st glock and my 1st 40. g22 gen4.
    now what?

plans
    9mm conversion barrel (threaded) plans for suppressor
    g17 mags, can it be converted to 15rds or 10 rds?

sight upgrades?
    does any internals needs to be worked on?

i haven't shot it yet.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: my 1st glock

With regard to your question about working on the internals, I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Shoot it first and see how you like it. If it functions properly, you shoot it accurately and are happy with the trigger etc., then I wouldn't bother working on anything internally.

I will say that I have a Glock 17 with the 3.5lb connector and it makes the trigger really nice. My understanding is that's a pretty easy upgrade to make.

As for the conversion barrel etc, I'm really not sure what you should expect. As prevalent as Glocks are on the market, and the vast number of aftermarket parts, I'd imagine this is a "drop-in" item. I'm not sure if you'll need special magazines or not, I'd imagine not.

Nothing to a Glock but to shoot the hell out of it, its built for it and its the king of the KISS concept. I like my Glocks very simple to own and operate plenty of 3rd party and factory stuff for it. But 15 shots of powerful 40 cal is out of sight the Glock 22 is one of the better Glocks imho.

357 sig is the closest and easiest drop in setup for the G22 same mag and different barrel maybe recoil sping lots flat trejectory improvement.

Most are Good guns because they are Glocks, enjoy!!
    Last edited by Neko456; September 20th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

(Delaware County)

+1 for the 3.5lb trigger. I have one in my G21 and it's reeeaalllly nice. However, this doesn't need to be done at all and will shoot great without it. I wouldn't change any other internals if it's brand new. People recommend that the trigger spring and the recoil spring should be changed every 3,000 rounds, so shoot it up until then!!

I have seen online people that have shot around 10,000 rounds through without changing any internals and the gun still goes bang. Hell, I've seen a guide rod fly out of a G19 after shooting 1,000 continuous rounds and the gun STILL went bang after.

As far as sights go, XS Big Dots are the best sights you can buy. They can be picked up extremely fast because they're so huge. Just line the golf ball up on the target and squeeze.

And lastly... Enjoy your new Glock! Get to the range and shoot it up!!

(Allegheny County)

The 3.5 Connector is a definite upgrade.

The 9mm conversion barrel makes good sense, cheaper ammo than the .357 Sig or the .40 SW. However, be careful where you get the barrel from, there's a lot of cheapo offerings out there. Years ago I got a 9mm conversion barrel from Bar Sto for my G35. Its a little pricey, but you get what you pay for and they will fit the barrel to your slide or you can order their drop-in barrel. With the traditionally rifled barrel in the 9mm conversion, you can shoot lead all day without worrying.

The sights will depend on what type of shooting you will do, fast acquisition or fully adjustable target sights. Go for the front and rear sight sets, regardless of the type you choose.

In any case, Glocks are great, no matter what mods you want to do to them, or if you just run them stock.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

thanks everyone, I'm gonna order the 3.5 trigger. just to have it.

I have a G23 & bought a 9mm Lone Wolf conversion barrel about a year ago for $100. If anything, it's a tad more accurate than the factory barrel & 9mm ammo is cheaper than .357 Sig.

The 9mm would work with the .40 mags, but I'd get a FTF from time to time, so I bought some factory 9mm mags & haven't had a problem since.

Enjoy the toy.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Philadelphia County)

Here's a really good link on how to completely disassemble your glock and polish the trigger.
    http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

As stated above, not really necessary, but does give a little smoother/crisper feel. And if you're changing the trigger spring anyway...

Personally, I like the NY1 trigger with the 3.5lb connector. Gives it more of a double action feel (though not as heavy) while making the break and reset very crisp.

The only failure I've ever had was a broken original spring. And that was on a first gen Glock I rented. Even so, I change that spring first thing with a new one.

(Montgomery County)

Congrats on the G22.
    Personally, I wouldn't change anything on a glock other than the sights (add night sights if not already on there)
    Is this going to be a carry piece? If so I would advise against any trigger mods just in case you're ever in a SD situation and have to explain that in court. A lawyer will try all kinds of ways to discredit you. Besides, theres nothing wrong with a Glock trigger.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    Congrats on the G22.
    Personally, I wouldn't change anything on a glock other than the sights (add night sights if not already on there)
    Is this going to be a carry piece? If so I would advise against any trigger mods just in case you're ever in a SD situation and have to explain that in court. A lawyer will try all kinds of ways to discredit you. Besides, theres nothing wrong with a Glock trigger.
    I'll second that. If it's a range gun, go to town but be careful if it's a self defense piece. In his books, Massad Ayoob actually recommends a heavier trigger pull in Glocks used for carry. Remember, no matter the outcome of a criminal trial it could be argued in civil court that the discharge was accidental rather than intentional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast