Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default dumb o/u question

i went of shooting sporting clays for the first time last week and i brought my pump. i was fine with it had no problems. just about every person i passed had a o/u...my dumb question is if i am shooting a o/u do i have to adjust my shoot according to the barrel being fired (top or bottom) or are they close enuff it really does not matter?...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: dumb o/u question

Alot of people shooting sporting clays use o/u's as it is easier to just pull the trigger again instead of pumping... This eliminates the extra movement of having to pump another round into the chamber...I have used my pump Winchester for YEARS and I feel comfortable with it...

NO.. you dont have to adjust the sight picture when using the o/u's as the barrels are USUALLY aligned to shoot at the same spot with either barrel...

Use what YOU are comfortable with... and enjoy... its a great time and it does really help you for hunting... alot better than regular trap or skeet as the birds are coming from all different angles and elevations... much more realistic....

Hope this helps.... and be safe.....

(Allegheny County)

No difference in aiming when shooting the o/u....you just don't have to remember to pump between shots. Also, you don't have to pick up your empties from the ground like with a pump or autoloader....most folks who are target shooters reload their own ammo.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Montgomery County)

thank you for the replys. i dont have a problem with my pump i probally hit 85% of the clays thrown. i really like the look of the o/u compared to the pump plus i like the idea of not having to pickup my empties off the ground after every station....

(Lancaster County)

I've never shot trap with a pump - so take this for what its worth.

With o/u, you can make that second shot witout moving your eyes off the target (as I wouldn't be coordinated enough to do both).

And not to forget, running two different chokes in an o/u.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    And not to forget, running two different chokes in an o/u.
    yea that would be nice. can i choose what barrel fires first? i have a older sxs with 2 triggers are the over unders the same way?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    yea that would be nice. can i choose what barrel fires first? i have a older sxs with 2 triggers are the over unders the same way?
    Many O/U's & SxS's with single triggers have a barrel selector. Some cheaper and older models with one trigger shoot in a specific series; like top first or bottom first, then the other barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

If you don't reload your shells, don't pass over semi autos. They are just as effective as O|Us'. The only thing you don't get is the option of having 2 different chokes already in the gun.

All O\Us' aren't created equal. If you plan on being an active clay shooter, a quality O\U is worth the extra bucks.

Welcome to the addictive world of sporting clays.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    If you don't reload your shells, don't pass over semi autos. They are just as effective as O|Us'. The only thing you don't get is the option of having 2 different chokes already in the gun.

All O\Us' aren't created equal. If you plan on being an active clay shooter, a quality O\U is worth the extra bucks.

Welcome to the addictive world of sporting clays.
    I agree with the whole post, but my bolded area is important. Some of the cheaper ones are ok, but cannot hold up to serious shooting. Also, some of the REALLY cheap ones, both barrels don't point in the same direction (rare, but can happen).

And don't overlook semis. You can get a good one for less than an OU. They only have one barrel, fewer chokes to buy, and lower recoil due to cycling action. Downside is they can jam, throw hulls (have to pick them up), and are longer overall for the same barrel length due to the action.

Also, shotguns are all about fit. Make sure whatever you buy fits you. And more expensive guns don't make you a better shooter. Whatever you buy, shoot the s*** out of it.

BTW, I shoot a Beretta 391 for all clay games. It has yet to let me down in the last 3 years and 20,000 shells. I had a Charles Daly that destroyed itself after about 750 shells.

(Montgomery County)

not sure what i wanna do as far as a shotgun goes o/u or semi. but i can tell you this i am hooked....not compition hooked just go out and have fun with the boys for a day hooked.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast