Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ruger MK III ammo???

I just picked a Ruger MK III and I'm interested in what ammo other people are shooting. I'm gonna make an ammo run tomorrow.

Default Re: Ruger MK III ammo???

I buy bricks of Federal Target, 40 grain lead.....the Federal number is 714. My MKIII likes STANDARD velocity rounds the best. I have also fired CCIs and Aguila from the CMP.
    Jules

(Schuylkill County)

I think this gun will burn through any .22 LR you can find. I have a Mk II and I have not found a cartridge it will not cycle properly.

Right now I am working through a box of 550 count Winchester HP's but I must have used 20 different types of .22 since I bought it, mostly FMJ though.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    I just picked a Ruger MK III and I'm interested in what ammo other people are shooting. I'm gonna make an ammo run tomorrow.
    Congratulations on your purchase, they are good shooters. As far as ammo, there is good news and good news. The good news is the Rugers I have function with everything. If it has a malfunction with a round that goes off, that is a rare event. The other good news is that any brand of standard velocity 22s from CCI Standard Velocity to pricier ammo from makers like RWS, Laupa, or Eley are scary accurate. I shot some terrific groups with Wolf and SKS, but again, it will shoot everything. I do stick to standard velocity ammo for mine as it is more accurate and generally a little easier on wear to the gun. Hope this helps.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I buy bricks of Federal Target, 40 grain lead.....the Federal number is 714. My MKIII likes STANDARD velocity rounds the best. I have also fired CCIs and Aguila from the CMP.
    Jules
    Amen to that on the standard velocity. I agree 100%.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I think this gun will burn through any .22 LR you can find. I have a Mk II and I have not found a cartridge it will not cycle properly.
    Same here!

(Northampton County)

I use Federal as well. Stay away from the lead ammo. The copper covered works better and is cleaner.
    Have fun......nobody's going to do it for you

(Bucks County)

Federal bulk high velocity. I avoid remington as I get a ton of fail to fires (even with the volquartsen firing pin).

I also removed the loaded chamber indicator which was causing a TON of jams after it started getting dirty. Since removed, I haven't had a single jam in thousands of rounds. Even when the gun was brand new and pristine clean, it still jammed up at least once every hundred rounds.

I can't recommend the volquartsen target sear enough by the way. It makes an already good trigger even better.

-Zach

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Right now I am working through a box of 550 count Winchester HP's but I must have used 20 different types of .22 since I bought it, mostly FMJ though.
    Same with my MkII~it won't choke on anything.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Delaware County)

Congrats on your MK III. If your looking for super tight groups, The standard velosity is the way to go. I have found it is more consistant but the other ammo mentioned will work as well.
    I find the CCI to cleaner than some others. I'm not a big fan of Reminton .22cal. ammo.
    As far as lead goes, you can either clean lead from the barrel or copper plating. Not much difference IMHO. Hi Vel I use the copper plate stuff.
    Enjoy your new pistol!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast