Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Brand new LCP won't chamber a round

So I found a NIB hard chrome LCP today and the Valley Forge gun show for a nice price. I also picked up a box of Independence FMJ .380 ammo. For the life of me I cannot get the gun to chamber a round. The rounds seem to get hung up on the feed ramp. They jam themselves into the face of the feed ramp and get stuck. I got it to chamber once when I only loaded one round into the mag. What's going on here? Seriously disappointed....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Brand new LCP won't chamber a round

Are you actually firing the gun or just manually cycling it? With a lot of those small guns you have to lock the slide back then use the slide release.

(Allegheny County)

I am just cycling it. I tried loading it with the rounds because I wanted to carry it this afternoon. There is no traditional slide release on an LCP, just the manual slide release.

(Bucks County)

Are you holding the slide all the way back and releasing it really fast? Or slowly releasing it? You should be releasing it fast, not slow. If you still have problems I would contact Ruger about it.

Also, it might be easier to just put a round right in the chamber and snap the extractor over it. It should be fine as long as you don't do that over and over again (could eventually cause wear on your extracter). Of course refer to your manual to see if thats okay because all guns are different.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; September 18th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

(Monroe County)

Try another brand of ammunition and see what happens, also note what the others have said about not riding the slide home, let it fly.

Alsao did you clean the gun before you try to load it.

Also make sure you are trying to load 9x17 ammo (.380) and not 9x19 (9mm parabelum) it will not close on 9x19. Check the box to make sure it is 9x17 then report back, i have a 1st gen LCP that has been flawless since day one.

Lewt us know.

Nyman

most small guns(including the LCP)dont have a slide releases, just a slide locks.

also, while opinions and gun designs vary the general consensus i've seen and come to is that it's a bad idea to put a round in the chamber and then drop the slide over it.

(Blair County)

You have to let it go quick to chamber a round, my buddy has one and his sometimes gets stuck, normally with hollowpoints though. If it isn't chambering a round when you let the slide go from all the way back I would try a different kind of ammo, and then if still having a problem contact Ruger. There is a forum dedicated to the LCP as well, I think they have an ammo list of what works and what doesn't. I wanted one at one point but decided to wait for the bodyguard since it has a few extra features on it. But the LCP is a good gun, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll get it figured out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccabescustomleather View Post
    You have to let it go quick to chamber a round, my buddy has one and his sometimes gets stuck, normally with hollowpoints though. If it isn't chambering a round when you let the slide go from all the way back I would try a different kind of ammo, and then if still having a problem contact Ruger. There is a forum dedicated to the LCP as well, I think they have an ammo list of what works and what doesn't. I wanted one at one point but decided to wait for the bodyguard since it has a few extra features on it. But the LCP is a good gun, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll get it figured out.
    +1 on this. I had the same problem at first until I realized it was user error... I wasn't letting the slide fly forward by releasing the slide stop. But it's true that if you truly got a lemon, Ruger will take care of you. Just try different ammo and make sure the slide is going forward with force before calling them so you don't wind up sending it back for no reason.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Are you holding the slide all the way back and releasing it really fast? Or slowly releasing it? You should be releasing it fast, not slow. If you still have problems I would contact Ruger about it.
    THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!

This is precisely what I was doing, I wasn't releasing the slide fast enough. Loads like a champ now.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!

This is precisely what I was doing, I wasn't releasing the slide fast enough. Loads like a champ now.
    No problem, glad to help! Now the rule is, you have to give us a range report, complete with pictures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast