Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Where would I find recoil spring for a 96?

Where would I find recoil spring for a 96? I'd like to buy another one this Beretta 96 I bought used. Now after shooting it on the range there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. But I have noticed that the recoil spring seems to be weaker then spring tension on my Elite, DAO and 8040 spring just by hand strength tension.

These other guns are fairly new each probably less then 600 rounds through them compared to this used one could it be the slide and internals are so well mated that the spring feels lighters?

In any event one of the good news that I got on this forum is one way to get that pistol working like its new again is replace the recoil spring. What type problems could this present, Beretta usually don't have problems but this maybe a 3rd party recoil spring.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Where would I find recoil spring for a 96?

Check the following:

David Olhasso
    http://www.olhasso.com/PS/index.htm

Brownells
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0..._recoil_spring

Brignoli
    http://www.brignoliarmi.com/?lingua=uk

I just ordered an Elite hammer from Dave Olhasso. Really fast shipping. Brownells appears to have Wolf and Beretta springs. Brignoli is in Italy and better for hard to find parts, INOX, etc.

Thanks Devrbd you are a wealth of knowledge I tried my usually places but just got trapped in a maze of other offers. 1911 stuff I founded all over but hardly anything for the Beretta.

man I didn't know you could get adjustable triggers for the 92/96 adjustable sights I knew about but triggers, hammers and other slick modifications these sights are a Mecca of possibilities that you can do with your 92/96.

I never had a problem with any of mines so I hadn't even started looking to find parts to modify them.

Hey good looking out, thanks so much.

What's you theory on replacing the recoil spring will it bring new life or more problems?
    Last edited by Neko456; September 17th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Wolff Gun Springs in Newtown Square are the major source of all springs. Brownells and Midway buy all of theirs from them. Dave_n

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    What's you theory on replacing the recoil spring will it bring new life or more problems?
    No problem! Honestly I don't know too much about a 96. I'm currently doing some modifications/upgrades/refinishing to my Cougar 8000 and have used the above for parts, etc. A lot of what I've learned was from the Beretta Forum. Below is a link. There you'll find all the information you'll need and then some.

http://berettaforum.net/

(Clarion County)

Brownells, they are a supporter of this forum. They also have a downloadable diagram of most firearms.

Use the link above the support PAFOA!

(Centre County)

Don't forget to order "D" spring while your at it!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

I have a fair bit of experience with the 96 series. I'd say run a little heavier recoil spring in the weapon unless it has the heavier Brigadier slide. I've experienced some breakage at higher round counts, in most cases likely caused by a tired recoil spring. My personal feeling is the stock spring weight should be stronger to begin with, especially in the non-Brigadier models. But don't go too heavy either, about 2lbs or so extra helps, with regular spring replacement, battering will become a non-issue.

Great finds I can't wait to get these upgrades but what I see is a lot bargains om 11lbs recoil spring are these 9mm spring or do they share recoil springs?

Why should I need a D spring is that for the DA trigger? I'm not going in that deep.

If the above is true then I need a Wolf 13lb recoil spring, do we agree or should I buy both factory and 3rd party recoil spring.

I see why my 92/96 load and fire everything the factory springs are rated lighter reload and factor spec ammo. I was thinking design superority.

Thanks Guys.