Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default HK fairly sighted in

So since I roughly sighted in my USP compact .45 I wanted to take it out for another run. When I got it, it was sighted in for 25 yds and I wanted it sighted in for closer, say 7 to 15 yards..combat range. Used my sight pusher and almost have it dialed in. Here is my target at 7 yds, "semi-rapid" fire (as fast as I could without getting yelled at) 3 mags...or...24 rounds:

(The "hiccups" at the bottom were totally 100% me)

This is also off hand, I never use a rest.

Last edited by CHEMICAL; September 16th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: HK fairly sighted in

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    So since I roughly sighted in my USP compact .45 I wanted to take it out for another run. When I got it, it was sighted in for 25 yds and I wanted it sighted in for closer, say 7 to 15 yards..combat range. Used my sight pusher and almost have it dialed in. Here is my target at 7 yds, "semi-rapid" fire (as fast as I could without getting yelled at) 3 mags...or...24 rounds:

(The "hiccups" at the bottom were totally 100% me)

This is also off hand, I never use a rest.

Good Shooting!

Just curious though.......what does windage adjustment have to do with distance? Pushing your sights one way or another shouldn't be required to compensate for going from 25 yards to 7 yards.

That compact has fixed sights from the factory.....no elevation adjustment.

(Monroe County)

Nope, not factory sights...meprolight night sights, and windage does change at distances just from the way the round exits the barrel.(or if the sights are off) The sights were off when I got the gun (by my standards) so I didnt want to carry it. Im getting closer to approving.

Just need to move the rear a tad more to the right. I would like a slightly higher front sight to bring it down a little but dont really feel like spending any more money. (I was trying to compensate for elevation the whole time.)

Good Shooting!
    thanks! I've just recently been able to get more range time in...loving it!
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; September 16th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

(Bucks County)

Nope, not factory sights...meprolight night sights, and windage does change at distances just from the way the round exits the barrel.(or if the sights are off) The sights were off when I got the gun (by my standards) so I didnt want to carry it. Im getting closer to approving.

Just need to move the rear a tad more to the right. I would like a slightly higher front sight to bring it down a little but dont really feel like spending any more money. (I was trying to compensate for elevation the whole time.)

thanks! I've just recently been able to get more range time in...loving it!
    I'm not sure who told you that windage will adjust for elevation, but unless you are shooting "gangsta style" with the gun rotated 90 degrees, that is incorrect. Also.....you said the sights were off by "your standard". Did you ever let anyone else shoot the gun to see where they were hitting? A lot of people make the mistake of moving the sights to compensate for lack of proper practice with shooting fundamentals. I'm not saying this is the case with you.....you may be an expert marksman for all I know. You do have a nice tight group in the photo, just pushing a little left.

The HK USPc is an awesome pistol.......Congrats on selecting a fine weapon!

(Northampton County)

Holy crap. Somebody will have to shoot a lot faster then you get yelled at by the RO if they want a chance

Good work.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKNUT View Post
    I'm not sure who told you that windage will adjust for elevation, but unless you are shooting "gangsta style" with the gun rotated 90 degrees, that is incorrect. Also.....you said the sights were off by "your standard". Did you ever let anyone else shoot the gun to see where they were hitting? A lot of people make the mistake of moving the sights to compensate for lack of proper practice with shooting fundamentals. I'm not saying this is the case with you.....you may be an expert marksman for all I know. You do have a nice tight group in the photo, just pushing a little left.

The HK USPc is an awesome pistol.......Congrats on selecting a fine weapon!
    huh?...you must have gotten confused at some point. I never said I adjusted the windage to fix my elevation...I adjusted it to fix windage....to fix the elevation I want a higher front sight...to bring it down a little. Windage does change at different distances. from left to right. It was shooting way to the left so I drifted the rear sight to the right...

To touch on this, if a gun is sighted in at 7 yards it can be off to one side or the other at 25 yards by more or less than an inch or so. It all depends on the manufacturing tolerances. Absolutely no machine is perfect. Not saying this is always the case, but it happens. Could also be an "off" barrel.

It's definitely not me. It's because the sights were changed and never sighted in properly. My sig came straight out of the box shooting 12 rounds into a single hole no bigger than a quarter at the same distance and still does.(on a good day )
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; September 16th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

(Bucks County)

When I got it, it was sighted in for 25 yds and I wanted it sighted in for closer, say 7 to 15 yards..combat range. Used my sight pusher and almost have it dialed in.
    I was confused by your wording.............here you say it was sighted in for 25 yds, and you wanted it sighted in for 7 to 15, so you got your sight pusher out and almost have it dialed in. If you have mepro sights with a fixed rear (no elevation adjustment), there is no way for you to adjust elevation from 25 yards to 7 yards.

Unless you are shooting 100+ yards in varying weather conditions, your windage adjustment should never really change.
    Last edited by HKNUT; September 16th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Holy crap. Somebody will have to shoot a lot faster then you get yelled at by the RO if they want a chance

Good work.
    haha thanks!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKNUT View Post
    I was confused by your wording.............here you say it was sighted in for 25 yds, and you wanted it sighted in for 7 to 15, so you got your sight pusher out and almost have it dialed in. If you have mepro sights with a fixed rear (no elevation adjustment), there is no way for you to adjust elevation from 25 yards to 7 yards.

Unless you are shooting 100+ yards in varying weather conditions, your windage adjustment should never really change.
    again...I didn't say I was adjusting elevation. I said if I wanted to adjust elevation I would get a higher front sight.

I was adjusting windage. It was shooting to the left.

You've really never seen a gun that was on point at 7 yards but was off to one side out at 25 yards? really?

I have, many times.

Forget about the 25 yard thing. The gun was shooting to the left...I pushed the rear sight to the right...problem solved.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; September 16th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: HK fairly sighted in

again...I didn't say I was adjusting elevation. I said if I DID WANT TO adjust elevation I would get a higher front sight.

I was adjusting windage. It was shooting to the left.

You've really never seen a gun that was on point at 7 yards but was off to one side out at 25 yards? really?

I have, many times.

Reread your first post........you said you wanted the gun to be sighted in for 7 yards instead of 25. This requires an elevation adjustment. Elevation adjustment = range adjustment.

You claimed that you got the sight pusher out and have it almost dialed in. Meaning from 25 yard to 7 yard.....which is elevation not windage. You didn't even mention the windage being off until your 2nd post.

Something tells me you and I are not on the same page here
    Last edited by HKNUT; September 16th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast