Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default I have a problem getting a good grip on my Glock 19

I was born without a palm muscle in my left hand (I think my mom smoked crack when I was in the womb), and it is difficult for me to get a consistent, nice grip on my glock. In order to effectively get tight groupings, I have to put my left hand in an awkward position that doesn't feel natural at all. It also takes a couple of seconds of adjusting until I can get it. If I shoot immediately after I draw, the shots are all over the place. When I do the same drill with my Ruger SP 101 or 1911, I actually get nice groups.

The grip is clunkier and wider than my 1911, which is easier for me to draw and shoot since I don't need to fiddle around with my hands until it feels right.

Can I replace the grip with something slimmer or am I just going to need to A) adapt or B) sell the gun?
    Last edited by uniballin; September 16th, 2010 at 02:25 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I have a proble, sort of like they grom getting a good grip on my Glock 19

1) You wont , 2) Its a Glock. Glocks dont feel comfortable to me either and i have regular hands.
    Right now i'm carrying my Glock 26, i make the sacrifice because of Glock's other positive attributes such as toughness, reliability and lightweight etc.

One thing i noticed though is that the longer you carry them it's the more comfy they feel, sort of like they grow on you.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: I have a problem getting a good grip on my Glock 19

I use this stuff on my Glock.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/

It helps a lot.

Lycanoryoumayjustprefer1911'sthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

can we get a description of how your gripping the gun or some pics?

(Montgomery County)

Why don't you shoot and carry what you can perform with. It sounds to me like you are trying to force a square block (get it?) into a round hole. Sure, with enough pounding it will go in.

I doubt there is any trick that a forum user can give you that will sole your problems. My gorgeous woman hates shooting my Smith and Wesson N frame revolvers with the Miculek grips. However, she shoots fantastically with her own carry pistol. Does this mean she should learn some trick or buy some accessory, nope.

Use what works. Practice with it, get better and be confident. It really is that simple.

(The Glock is great, just not great for everyone.)
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; September 17th, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added a missive
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I use houge's gripper on my G19 & G23 feels and shoots better now. I like the gripper on my 24/7 also. I may try one on my AR and save buying another rifle pistol grip

(Philadelphia County)

I really like A-Grip. http://www.brookstactical.com/ It's the stuff they use on kayak oars for grip. The wetter/sweatier/bloodier your hands are the better it grips. And it makes the gun feel smaller in my hand.

Plus it's got kind of a velvet look to it, so it pimps out your pistol nicely. Wish it came in zebra print

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I use this stuff on my Glock.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/

It helps a lot.

Lycanoryoumayjustprefer1911'sthrope
    Is that like the tape on stairs, skateboards, etc? If so, doesn't that tear up your hands after an hour of shooting? I can't imagine my hands would like that at all.

(Lycoming County)

Its probably not your hand its the Glock. The thing you describe is exactly why I dont own one anymore..a gun should fit nicely and comfortably in your hand..you should not be forced to adapt to the gun. I had a Glock 23..the grips/grip angle sucked so I got rid of it and now have a Ruger SR9c which fits my hands much better.

As a matter of fact id go as far to say that EVERY other gun ive even handled while shooting or just even in a shop feels ok in my hand even a Hi Point or Jennings FEELS(i didnt say its a better gun I said FEELS better in hand) better in my hand..the ONLY gun on the market I cant comfortably shoot without it feeling like its trying to squirm out of my hand is the Glock(except the 36 that fits my hand fine and is the ONLY Glock id own).

I tried to kid myself and think id get used to it..I never did so down the road it went and ive never missed it..good riddance Glock~! . So just sell or trade it and get something out there on the market thats just as reliable(XD,M&P,Sig,HK,Ruger,Steyr for example) and get something that feels good in hand to YOU....I could actually shoot the Glock just fine..it just felt horrible in my hand while doing so..

For people that dont like the Glocks the straight up #1 answer as to why they dont like them is THE POOR GRIPS/GRIP ANGLE!

Also all this said and my dislike of Glocks they are GREAT handguns IF they fit your hand...their reliability and function are awesome. I recommend them for peoples hands they fit..but for those that they dont feel quite right..dont try to adapt just avoid them and get something that works for you!
    Last edited by CBennett; September 17th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    Can I replace the grip with something slimmer or am I just going to need to A) adapt or B) sell the gun?
    C. how bout neither, why try to get used to something your totally uncomfortable with ? And , I would hate to sell any of my guns. If i was in your shoes I would check out a company called Robar, they offer grip reduction services and many others too. Im surprised no one had mentioned this yet. I dont think its too hard on the wallet either. Hope that helps a little, just trying to give more options. Good luck. Oh, sorry to hear about your mom and the crack
    and to the dust you shall return

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast