Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Most dangerous range at the club

I've been spending quite a bit of time this summer working on my pistol shooting. The more time I spend at the pistol range the more leary I get when someone else shows up to shoot. {or try to shoot}

Maybe it's always been this way. I never spent as much time on pistol as I do now. I've been swept by 2 muzzles in the last month! I always try and help or at least keep an eye on others trying to learn pistols. I am always polite if I see something going on that shouldn't. But, I have to tell you, IT'S REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF!.

I don't want to scare members away and want everyone to have a good time, but for christ sake, can we do it without risking my life???? Evidentally they don't read the rules, they show up once in a blue moon and haven't got a clue as to what safe gun handling is.

I guess I now know why the regulars get somewhat nasty with a lot of the noob pisol shooters that buy a handgun, come out and shoot it once a year to "practice".

The biggest offense is the, STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE, when we call the line safe to change targets. I caught 2 guys walk up to the bench and pick up a gun while I was changing my target. I flipped out like a maniac. One was a member and the other 2 were guest. The one guy at the bench was the member! After my rant, I did apologize for yelling, but I also told them, it's my life your f@#king with. I told them I just want everybody to go home at the end of the day.

I'm sure some others have experienced similar situations.

Thanks for letting me vent....
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Default Re: Most dangerous range at the club

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    The biggest offense is the, STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE, when we call the line safe to change targets. I caught 2 guys walk up to the bench and pick up a gun while I was changing my target. I flipped out like a maniac. One was a member and the other 2 were guest. The one guy at the bench was the member! After my rant, I did apologize for yelling, but I also told them, it's my life your f@#king with. I told them I just want everybody to go home at the end of the day.
    I seem to have developed a reputation for being polite, but the big difference between us is, I wouldn't have apologized for screaming and yelling, and perhaps even saying a bad word or two. They had it coming. Doing stupid stuff is one thing. Doing stupid stuff that endangers another person's life is quite another.

Oh yeah... Nice to see you back on the board again. I haven't seen you post for a while.

(Delaware County)

Hey Pennsy, I'm always lurking around from time to time. Doing more reading than posting. Hope all is well with you and the family. BTW, my wife{Mary} says HI!

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Philadelphia County)

Where was this?

I was at DCFS for the information session a few months ago and while the rangemaster was talking about the importance of keeping your muzzle pointed downrange, some guy is setting up down the line, with his pistol out on the bench pointing at the crowd of prospective members. I kind of regret not saying something like "safe direction like the asshole down there?" but instead I just quietly stepped back.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Where was this?

I was at DCFS for the information session a few months ago and while the rangemaster was talking about the importance of keeping your muzzle pointed downrange, some guy is setting up down the line, with his pistol out on the bench pointing at the crowd of prospective members. I kind of regret not saying something like "safe direction like the asshole down there?" but instead I just quietly stepped back.
    I'm sorry that happened to you. DCFS is a great club. I absolutely love their shotgun facilities for trap, skeet and 5 stand.
    For now on I'm going to do my pistol shooting early in the mornings on weekends or after work rather than peek weekend time. It's just easier than dealing with the masses.

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

When I first began to read of your experiences with safety concern, I thought you were refering to a state gamelands range. Wow, DCFS has had safety rules that wouldn't fit into a 55 gallon drum. Very surprising that you witnessed such disregard for their own policies.

(Delaware County)

I think a lot of the problem stems from the mindset of too many shooters at DCFS that a gun with the slide locked back is as inert as a rock or brick. They then treat the gun with a total lack of respect for the damage it can do when used negligently.

I am averaging getting swept there about twice a month. The absolute worst is when they put their range bag and/or gun cases on the bench behind the firing line. They then ferry the guns to and from the bag/case with no regard to muzzle discipline.

These morons doe not represent the majority of shooters at DCFS, but they are dangerous as hell and very clueless.

I've been polite in telling the assclowns who don't respect their guns and others what they are doing wrong but what I really have wanted to tell them is that if one of them shoots me we'll both bleed.

ETA: It helps to shoot there during the week. I darn near had a stroke the first time I shot there on a Saturday.

(Delaware County)

DCF&S is still one of the safest ranges in the area BUT I know where of you speak.

I had an incident where a member argued that the slide on his pistol on the bench need not be open because it had a trigger lock on it.

According to the rules of the club.
    pistols MUST be cased when bringing them from the bench to the stand
    and then opened then recased when taking them off the line.

One oddity I saw was gun boxes on the stand with some pistols pointing downrange and some pointing the opposite way.
    All the pistols had their actions closed. I brought that up and got attitude from the old shooters.

One dangerous mindset that seems to be in effect at EVERY range I ever shot at was that those who have been shooting for many years think that the rules are only for new shooters.

That somehow if nothing bad had ever happened to a veteran shooter, it
    never will.

One suggestion would be to attand the monthly meetings and make a pain in the ass of yourself by stressing the rules. Either that or wait till the first
    fatality and watch the left wing politicians swiftly decend and close the range forever.
    As if

I have been witness to the same type of violations at my club and others. People are just plain ignorant of safe gun handling. The best thing you can do is to point out a safety violation or club rule so that they will never do it again.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Everybody has mental lapses. That's why it's good for the other shooters to keep an eye on each other.
    I must say, nobody has ever given me an attitude about pointing out a lapse in gun safety. I'm not an a-hole about it, most time it's done in a very calm and usually quiet voice in a friendly manner.
    I don't want anybody yelling at me, so I treat people the way I want to be treated. {Besides, there's too many guns around}

R.I.P......Murphy.