Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Millett TRS-1 4x16x50

Can anyone give me any information or first hand experience on the scope above? I have a potential deal pending and this scope is part of it. Midway USA has pretty good reviews on it and they have what looks like a good warranty.

Please save the "You could get so and so scope for a little more scratch" bit - I'm not buying this scope, it's coming on a rifle I'm trading for. The scope is pretty much just an extra with the deal.

Thanks guys!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Millett TRS-1 4x16x50

I've heard great stuff about higher-end Millett scopes.

I guess it kind of depends on what your needs are for it.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

I have one on a .17HMR. It has always tracked well, but I have never adjusted it more then a few MOA on the turrets. I am buying another for a .223 remington 700 sps tactical I just bought, but with mil adjustments. I have also put one on someone else's rifle(which sold me to buy one). I have some higher end glass as well, Leupold and Nightforce, this millett scope seems to fit a good groove for something of better quality for the price. The parallax adjustment is a little stiff but I can deal with that. I have never shot one on anything larger then a .223. at snipercentral.com, they did a review on it on top of a Remington 700 pss and it got a decent review.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

Thanks guys, it's going to sit a top a Remington XR100 and be used as a target, groundhog, and possible coyote gun.

(York County)

I like mine. I have it on my SPS Tactical .308. It is a large heavy scope but on my rifle thats fine. It has a lifetime warranty, Millet was bought by Bushnell so if you ever have a problem with it Bushnell is who you will call for service.
    I think it has nice glass, holds zero, has positive clicks and tracks well. It has a lot of vertical adjustment. I have the newer 1/4" MOA model, the first one's were 1/8" clicks. Read the review on sniper central.
    https://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm

I think you will like it. Here is mine. When I put the sunshade on it is almost even with the end of the stock

Last edited by Beardog; September 17th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

(Berks County)

Can't view the pic! But thanks for the review.

(York County)

Refresh the page and Try now I think I fixed it

(Berks County)

Looks nice, thanks!

Millett scopes aren't bad for the money, I've been pleased with my LRS-1 for what it cost. The TRS scopes aren't bad for the money either, they're decent glass and you get a lot of features that aren't available in other scopes. They've actually come a long ways from when they were first released.

One of the big gripes that most people had were the 1/8 MOA clicks, and so the 1/4 MOA and .1 Mil clicks were a nice improvement. The first reticles in them were not "Gen II" mil-dot reticles either, they were sort of something in between. They only had 1 mil subtensions marked, but that was from dot to hash, from dot to dot or hash to hash was 2 mil's. As far as I know, now the hashes are half mil designations, and the dots are 1 mil. There were also some other problems, that have since been fixed. When the scopes were first released, they had a 2 piece maintube for the body. The seem was right before the objective bell started, and sometimes they were coming apart here. Millett fixed that on the newer scopes and now uses 1 piece mainbody tubes.

I've heard of a few that had some problems from the factory. I had a friend that had one on a 6.5x284 that we got zeroed and in the middle of the shooting session, it started "chasing zero". Well, the scope was toast, when you shook the scope around, the reticle was loose and moving around. He contacted Millett, who had just been bought out by Bushnell and were in the "migration" stage. It took them a little bit (couple of weeks), but they shipped him a new scope and he hasn't had any problems with this one. It's held up fine and has been holding zero. Like any other manufacturer, sometimes mechanical things fail, and having a real lifetime warranty really makes that easier to deal with. I think overall, you'll be pretty pleased with the scope. Don't expect Mark 4 glass, and you should be fine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Millett scopes aren't bad for the money, I've been pleased with my LRS-1 for what it cost. The TRS scopes aren't bad for the money either, they're decent glass and you get a lot of features that aren't available in other scopes. They've actually come a long ways from when they were first released.

One of the big gripes that most people had were the 1/8 MOA clicks, and so the 1/4 MOA and .1 Mil clicks were a nice improvement. The first reticles in them were not "Gen II" mil-dot reticles either, they were sort of something in between. They only had 1 mil subtensions marked, but that was from dot to hash, from dot to dot or hash to hash was 2 mil's. As far as I know, now the hashes are half mil designations, and the dots are 1 mil. There were also some other problems, that have since been fixed. When the scopes were first released, they had a 2 piece maintube for the body. The seem was right before the objective bell started, and sometimes they were coming apart here. Millett fixed that on the newer scopes and now uses 1 piece mainbody tubes.

I've heard of a few that had some problems from the factory. I had a friend that had one on a 6.5x284 that we got zeroed and in the middle of the shooting session, it started "chasing zero". Well, the scope was toast, when you shook the scope around, the reticle was loose and moving around. He contacted Millett, who had just been bought out by Bushnell and were in the "migration" stage. It took them a little bit (couple of weeks), but they shipped him a new scope and he hasn't had any problems with this one. It's held up fine and has been holding zero. Like any other manufacturer, sometimes mechanical things fail, and having a real lifetime warranty really makes that easier to deal with. I think overall, you'll be pretty pleased with the scope. Don't expect Mark 4 glass, and you should be fine.
    Thank you, I am not a bench shooter and all my other rifles are hunting rifles with Bushnell or Cabela's brand 3x9's on them. So I've never really used "quality" glass seeing as I've never needed to. My hunting in Pa doesn't require it. I have a feeling this gun and scope will impress me even though not top of the line, I hope I'm right. Now I just need start reading up on distance shooting, mil dot scopes, etc ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast