Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default How do I get started?

I am in my early 20's and grew up in a gun free house where I never had the opportunity to hunt. I now have my own guns and have always wanted to hunt, however I don't have anyone to teach me. I am interested in Waterfowl and Deer, as well as small game for practice.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to start for someone like me?

Thanks!

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: How do I get started?

1. Become comfortable and safe in shooting your weapons (if you aren't already that is)

2. Try to find some people you can go with. Whether it be friends, co-workers, etc. There should be somebody around..

If not..

3. Look up the "member meetings" on here, and go to a shoot or get together. Talk to some folks, get opinions, etc.

4. Take the hunter safety course.

Other than the hunter safety course, the best scenario is that you find a positive influence to go out hunting with. Best way to learn, is by doing it. You can then learn tactics, and the best way of hunting certain game. You can read the book as much as you want, but that wont help you bring the meat home at the end of the day.

If all else fails, you may be able to find a reputable member on here that will be willing to take you out with them a couple times.
    III%

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster John View Post
    I am in my early 20's and grew up in a gun free house where I never had the opportunity to hunt. I now have my own guns and have always wanted to hunt, however I don't have anyone to teach me. I am interested in Waterfowl and Deer, as well as small game for practice.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to start for someone like me?

Thanks!
    For deer you need to find private land to hunt. You can find deer on game lands but private land is the way to go. Watch the Drury Outdoors they manage their own land and set ups, you can learn a lot about deer hunting watching them. You will also learn by your mistakes. Welcome to the hunting world and good hunting.

(Berks County)

Thanks!
    I'd be happy to go hunting with you, maybe show you a few things. Do you have your hunting license? Small game is the best place to start. Deer hunting is easy to pickup as well. Waterfowl is tough in Lancaster because most of the land is private/leases and guys are very protective of their areas. It's also the most expensive hunting season IMO.

(Allegheny County)

I am in the same boat (though I am older than you) - friends of mine that I have made since moving to Pittsburgh have always hunted - I am hooking up with them to start out.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Lycoming County)

Beg borrow or steal somebody who knows what they are doing to take you . I can't even imagine going solo and not knowing what you are doing . There are so many little thing that could take years to learn the hard way but could be quickly pointed out my someone with experience. And by the hard way I mean not seeing game for a long time hahah .
    Thank God I had my dad to take me out since I was 9 or 10. There is so much to learn about how to move, what signs mean what , where there deer are going to be etc etc etc. I can still remember my dad teaching me so many little things over the years . Idk how he had the patience to put up with me making too much noise or fiddling in my seat too much but i'm glad he did.
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

Thanks!
    same here, just received my first hunting license as well. Also looking for some help on this as i do not know any big hunters. Thinking of going for some small game to start

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I'd be happy to go hunting with you, maybe show you a few things. Do you have your hunting license? Small game is the best place to start. Deer hunting is easy to pickup as well. Waterfowl is tough in Lancaster because most of the land is private/leases and guys are very protective of their areas. It's also the most expensive hunting season IMO.
    Ah, I love to see the helping hand of PAFOA reach out and touch the masses.
    III%

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    same here, just received my first hunting license as well. Also looking for some help on this as i do not know any big hunters. Thinking of going for some small game to start
    My offer extends to you as well. I can't guarantee success. no one can. But I can at least get you comfortable with the whole hunting thing. Heck, it's not a bad idea to go out PRIOR to hunting season to get some of the basics down. Scout for deer sign, observe the way tree rats react in the woods (much different then the local park), where pheasants live, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    My offer extends to you as well. I can't guarantee success. no one can. But I can at least get you comfortable with the whole hunting thing. Heck, it's not a bad idea to go out PRIOR to hunting season to get some of the basics down. Scout for deer sign, observe the way tree rats react in the woods (much different then the local park), where pheasants live, etc, etc.
    that would be awesome! it would be great to have someone "show me the ropes" prior to hunting that knows what they are doing. I figured squirrels acted the same everywhere lol and we have pheasant around here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast