Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default My perception has been tainted

I was wondering what is considered acceptable as far as accuracy with a pistol?

Reality shows like Top Shot where they are hammering in nails with bullets , and ammo manufactures photos of how well their rounds group has given me a false impression of what is achievable by an average person.
    Take note that I've really only fired less than 200 rounds of pistol ammo in my life. And probably half that was just fun blasting away. I'm consider relatively new to pistol shooting. Also before I get criticized too much I've never claimed to be a pistol marksman.
    So today I took out my 1911 and set up a target at about 30yards give or take . My rounds landed all over the 8x11 piece of paper I had hanging up and a few missed completely. I'm disappointed to say the least. I mean granted if it was a BG standing there he would have been hit, but it probably would have been a gut shot instead of in the vitals or something to that effect.
    What kind of accuracy is expected? Obviously I'm not producing groups like I do with my rifle.

oh also I noticed all my rounds landed left of the center of the bulls eye so I must me yanking it left.
    Last edited by thejeanmachine16; September 15th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My perception has been tainted

30 yds is a substantial distance for pistol shooting, especially someone new.

Start much much closer. Like 7yds and see if you have accuracy problems. Learn your gun. The trigger, the way it recoils. The place the sights jump to when you fire. How close they return to point of aim. Proper stance, breathing, and hold.

Then as it gets easier - start making longer shots part of your normal routine. But don't just walk out to 30yds from 7 either. Do it gradually as you become more accustomed to the weapon.

Pistols are extremely hard to shoot when you have no experience and are primarily a rifle shooter. Sight radius alone is huge. Not to mention most rifle rounds inside of 50 yds are moving so fast if your sights are on, it's like a laser gun. Makes it all seem real easy. It's also easier to steady a weapon with a stock.

It's just going to take some time and practice. Don't get discouraged.

(Delaware County)

30 yards for a beginner with less than 200 round experience?

I can't believe you even hit the paper

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    30 yards for a beginner with less than 200 round experience?

I can't believe you even hit the paper
    Not trying to offend you OP, but he's right. Back it down. 7 to 10 yards. Start there.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lancaster County)

I'd agree with the other respondents. 30 yards is a substantial distance for a pistol in any shooter's hands, especially someone who's only fired a few hundred rounds. I wouldn't consider myself a pistol marksman by any means, but I've fired many thousands of rounds and I'm lucky to hit an 8x11 target at 25 yards once in 50 shots.

Top Shot was a cool show, but remember, those guys have extensive experience with all kinds of weapons. I always thought it was funny when one of them would mention how they're "not much of a pistol shooter" or some such nonsense. I can assure you that a "Not much of a pistol shooter" on that show has fired more rounds from pistols than you or I will ever shoot in our entire lives.

Quality pistols are absolutely capable of making effective shots out to distances 30 yards and some even greater, but you're not going to shoot at those distances effectively until you've had lots and lots of practice.

I once had a police officer tell me that a typical self-defense distance is less than 25 feet. I believe his exact quote was "You're going to have a hard time claiming self defense if you're further away than that. You need to be damn sure shooting was your only option."

Whether that statement is legally true is arguable, but his logic is sound. 25 feet is only 8.3 yards, realistically you'll be even closer than that in a defensive situation--which is the primary reason to own a pistol in the first place.

7 yards is a good distance to start developing your pistol skills. It's also not a bad idea to use a .22lr pistol at first. Not that you can't handle a larger caliber, but that'll give you a chance to work on your trigger control. I'm sure there are .22lr conversion kits for the 1911 out there too, that way you can practice with your own pistol without burning through too many of those expensive .45 acp's.

(Delaware County)

I have heard it said that your pistol is far more accurate than you.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thejeanmachine16 View Post
    I was wondering what is considered acceptable as far as accuracy with a pistol?
    depends on the gun and the situation.

(Clinton County)

If you can, get some training. It has helped my wife and I in a big way. It gave us good practice habits. If you do not practice correctly it just reinforces bad habits. If you can not get training do alot of dry fire exercises. Even if you do get training do dry fire exercises. If you concentrate on the little things the big things come easier.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Luzerne County)

The first time that I ever shot a pistol it was at a target only six feet away. I missed it. I shot again. I missed.
    Give it time and practice. Dry fire when you can't get to a range.
    Accuracy - there are shooters that can do almost magical things with guns.
    The X-ring on a 50 yard Bullseye target is 1.6 inches wide; I have seen targets with ten shots inside that little circle.....fired one hand unsupported with a 1911.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Centre County)

To become accurate with a handgun it is practice, practice, practice.........and more practice. New handgun shooters SHOULD NOT start at 25-30 yds, it will only demoralize you. Start at a more "practical" distance - 5 to 7 yds. Get so that you are getting good groups consistently then move back to the long distance of 10 yds. Do it all over again then move to 12 to 15 yds. For defensive handgunning 15 yds is a fairly long distance.

Another way to become a better shot - start shooting in competitions. Besides forcing you to practice to improve your scores, you can get a lot of good tips from the other competitors. I have never shot in any competition that the other shooters, especially those that are ranked very high, won't help you become a better shot with their hints and tips.

BTW, my avatar, that is 12 shots fired in less than 20 seconds (DAO with a speedloader reload), from 7 yards, using a stock Ruger GP100, 6 inch barrel, .38 spl cases, 148 gr HBWC, Federal small pistol primers, 2.5 grains of Solo 1000. This was a pretty much standard load when I was shooting PPC. The X ring is about 2"x3". I shot this and I haven't competed in PPC for about 10 years (in my prime, practicing at a 1000 rounds per week, this would have been 50% or smaller than this). As you build the muscle memory, sight alignment, trigger squeeze and as long as you have good solid practice sessions, it comes back pretty easily after a layoff.

And if I didn't say it before, to become a good defensive shot with a handgun, practice, practice, practice at what are considered typical defensive distances. Now, if you are practicing for handgun hunting, then you practice at varying distances up to what you think is going to be the max distance and you use your hunting loads. However, practicing at any distance with any load will help you in all handgunning endeavors because it will help you be consistent with your sight alignment and trigger pull.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast