Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AKs for NFA

(Bucks County)

Default AKs for NFA

There are currently around 400 registered NFA AK47s. It came across my mind today that if you have a Class 3 stamp, or form or license or whatever, could you legally convert a semi-automatic to fully automatic? Can you build your own NFA AK47 through parts?
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: AKs for NFA

No.

If you could, wouldn't there be more AKs in the registry?

You think you are smarter than all the wealthy people that have been doing this for decades? Everybody else is too stupid to figure out what you did?

No new machineguns after 1986 can be transferable among civilians. Including new conversions. All put you in Federal Prison for 10 years plus a $200,000 fine.

There is no loophole.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You think you are smarter than all the wealthy people that have been doing this for decades? Everybody else is too stupid to figure out what you did?
    All it was, was question. I wasn't sure, I don't know much about NFA. I wasn't sure if this was possible, I wasn't sure if people did this. So i asked this question.
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Monroe County)

If there were no 1986 MG ban, with all of the AK parts kits and semi auto rifles, there would be a lot more AK47s in the NFA registry.

The NFA registry has around 180,000 to 200,000 transferable machine guns which realistically is quite low. But when you consider before the 86 ban, guns were cheap (and so were the shooters) so many would not pay the $200 tax to convert a $200-400 AR15 into a full auto. Plus, there was not a lot of surplus ammo around back then and it got a bit expensive to shoot full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post
    All it was, was question. I wasn't sure, I don't know much about NFA. I wasn't sure if this was possible, I wasn't sure if people did this. So i asked this question.
    All he was doing in all his grandness was asking questions and giving an answer....

But this is more of a PITA that came with the dreaded GCA, which LBJ kicked us in the gonads with, to say the least!

Along with the FOPA amendment, and the Hughes amendment, if I am not mistaken. Signed by Reagan.

Just goes to show how asking for legislation can come back to bite us on the ass...

(Northampton County)

I want to apologize for being so harsh to you. I tried to log back in a little later to clarify but my computer crashed and I gave up for the night.

We have had people come in here and ask this same question over and over in different ways for pages until they presumably get frustrated and go elsewhere looking for someone willing to give them the wrong answer. So I try to make it clear up front now. And I tried to get your attention up front in this case. But I wasn't very nice about it, so I am sorry.

You're either going to have to save your pennies, or start a firearm business that deals in machineguns some day

(Montgomery County)

There are currently around 400 registered NFA AK47s. It came across my mind today that if you have a Class 3 stamp, or form or license or whatever, could you legally convert a semi-automatic to fully automatic? Can you build your own NFA AK47 through parts?

Where did you get this figure? Seems kinda low to me.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Where did you get this figure? Seems kinda low to me.
    It does seem low. They'd be a lot more expensive if that were the case. Perhaps he is referring to a specific variety. Like bring-backs or Soviet factory guns. I don't know much about FA AKs in the registry, except that they don't cost very much compared to similar MGs.

(Butler County)

"more expensive" wow I thought $12,000 and more was a lot of money for a full auto! How much do you think a f/a AK is worth? What do you guys do for a living?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    "more expensive" wow I thought $12,000 and more was a lot of money for a full auto! How much do you think a f/a AK is worth? What do you guys do for a living?
    It's disgustingly expensive, but normal for MGs of that type. I recently heard there are about 20,000 M16A1s, and they run for about $14,000. I heard there are about 2,000 M16A2s, and they run for about $18,000. Although, I am not certain if those numbers are true, either. But if there were only 400 of all kinds of AK47s and AKMs, I would expect them to run around $30,000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast