Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default Re: Gun Shops in York

My first post to this:

I think we should create a list of gun stores with ratings, and their services. Stubby is great but they don't do gunsmithing. Some guys do gunsmithing and don't have ammunition. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    Just wait til January. York will have a new shop by then (BATFE willing).
    Wow... that's cool reading that pre-FFL post from you and now knowing how good your shop is. +1 for Stubby!

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Unless you support OC.
    The owner is VERY anti-OC.
    I never carry into ANY gun store, ever. If you are saying he's against OC outside of his store that's different. You can OC in my computer store, but a gun store is ripe for errors, mistakes, and problems by mixing loaded and unloaded guns. I was in there last week with an empty holster on my hip.

Freedom Armory... folks yes it is expensive. Did you notice what on Earth they did there? The address is 2nd Ammendment Drive, and their facility is friggin enormous! The bills to run that place, the staff, and the insurance on the range are enough to justify the retail prices. They aren't gouging, it's retail. You have to admit they have an incredible selection throughout the store. I have bought 2 or 3 guns from them and found them to be a reliable store.

Now here's a +1 story for those of you that don't like the arrogant cusses

I bought my CZ-52 out of their used gun case. I purchased it and some ammo and some other things, didn't spend more than $400.00 that afternoon.

So get this... a few months later I get a phone call from someone at the Freedom Armory... missed the call they left a message... and it was something like "you purchased a cz-52 pistol from us and would like us to call us back please".

So I was like "shit!" "WTF" and thought I bought a bad gun, something used in a crime, and I was worried about the call.

So I called them back the next day (got the message after hours) and they told me they found a box in back with a holster and magazine that "belonged to me".

They could have put those items on the shelf for sale. I had no idea they came with my gun. This was months after the fact.

Honesty is the best policy. Freedom Armory may cost a little extra, but they are honest and top notch in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    He appeared to look at it several times, never said anything.
    That's because you look like a constable

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I think next time I see him I will bring this up with him, see if I can feel him out on the subject.
    Inquiring minds want to know.....

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Steve View Post
    Freedom Armory may cost a little extra, but they are honest and top notch in my book.
    I agree. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the staff, service, and selection at Freedom Armory. The staff has always been helpful and is usually very willing to strike up a conversation (sometimes for long periods of time) about guns in general. Great shop if you ask me.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(York County)

The rating system sounds good, lets compile a list of criteria:

here are the points i can think of in no particular order:

1 customer service
    a:ask you if you need help/leave you alone (just report what happened for you as some would rather be left alone?)
    willingness to show you different models and discuss same?
    2 firearms in stock
    a:long guns
    I:tacticool?
    II: hunting/etc.
    b:handguns
    c:shotguns
    3 transfer fees
    4 willingness to order firearms
    5 prices vs retail
    6 after the sale customer service
    7ammo availability
    8 accesories
    ---tacticool
    ---hunting
    ---reloading

this is just what i snowballed whille sitting at the desk, something like this could be a template that members fill in the blanks and after a few members fill out a sheet for a particular shop, patterns would develop and one mans hunting shop may turn out to not have much hunting stuff at all, thus educating others as to where to go to find what they are looking for.
    be it hunting, tacticool, reloading.

this would be a great sticky if we could maintain some kind of database.....
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; August 15th, 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added criteria
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

I think a 0-5 star rating on all catagories would be the best way to keep a running tally of how the stores stack up against each other,

I'll volunteer to try to get this started, please discuss what catagories and sub-catagories we would like to see in the evaluation of shops. I'll make a spreadsheet template from there and figure out a way to post findings and make is visable to others.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

I've always had good experiences at Laymans thought it is quite a drive to get out there from where I am.

One nobody has mentioned so far is Deer Valley on Rte 30 in West York. He's mostly archery but he does sell some firearms, mostly new/used deer rifles. However, he's also willing to be an inexpensive FFL for you. I have used him in the past to buy and sell used handguns and his fees were the lowest I could find.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Having a map to their location would be great. A link to a google map... or better yet... a google map with pinpoints for all of them... there we go!

(York County)

ok, keep the ideas coming, what about criteria? available firearms, transfer prices, etc.....

what else do we want to judge them on?
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

if you're going to come up with a ranking your earlier point about customer service is a good one. for some people good service is being left alone, for some its shooting the breeze and breaking out the rambo quotes.

your categories are good but what about one for accessories ? also how about one for ammo availability (as in do they restock often or when they run out are they out for weeks at a time)?
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(York County)

google and CULPEP, noted and saved.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Freedom Armory- I really don't like doing business there. I'll repeat what has been said several times, they are arrogant cusses. I've been shooting 35 years and am an advanced collector, but am treated like a child there. Consignment fees are very high, don't take layaway on consignments, very short pay off on their own guns if bought on layaway, will NOT bargain on their retail prices (which are very high), prices on gear is high and their reloading supplies are an (overpriced) joke. While they advertise gunsmith services, they won't do more than fit sights/scopes. I could go on, so you get the drift... They do have state of the art indoor ranges (including a rifle range in the basement) but range fees/membership options are expensive and I don't need them having my own range to shoot and tinker at. I really don't know why I take the time to torture myself even going there except it is nice to look, and sometimes decent deals can be had if you check out the consignment sales.
    Man I could not have said it better myself. I go in there every saturday looking for certain things and I do buy often but even so they have no idea who I am. I like supporting the local store but after 5 guns since June you would think they would at least remember who I am in general conversation. I mean the same guy has sold me four of the five and he still has no clue who I am. My name is not typical and honestly most people remember it. Whatever, since that point means nothing here

I found the new colt AR in 22Lr at over $640 where just down the road is was $500 so even though they have respectable services as mentioned this is just a rediculous price.

I've paid there prices for new firearms but have since learned my lesson so I go to look now but buy elsewhere.

Sad to badmouth that place being its so nice but it is what it is. I'll buy elsewhere.

Just my $0.02. take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Jolly; August 15th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast