Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default Range report on SA 1911

Well, I didn't get a chance to make it to the group shoot, mainly due to some pain the day before. However, the day before that, I got a chance to send some rounds down range. I'll do the highlights in a little list.

1. Comfort- Having only ever shot maybe 10 rounds of .45, I was aware that there wasn't much recoil. However, due to either the weight of the barrel, the length of the firearm, or perhaps unusual magnetic fields that day, the recoil seemed to be much less than even my 9mm. Follow up was quick, and the firearm over all felt great in my hands.

2. Performance- Having never fired a shot from this, I was expecting a few FTF, or FTE, during the initial break in. I am happy to say that every round fed, and fired, perfectly. After getting home, I tore it down to clean it, and found no unusual markings, or abrasions. During fireing, and re-assembly, all the parts fit together quite, nice and snug.

3. Accuracy- I'm not the best shot with a pistol. I will be the first to admit that. I can keep all my shots center mass in a silhouette, however normally, the grouping is less than great. (normally with my pt140 I can consistently have 12" groups from about 10-15 yards). However, I believe learning the basics about stance, grip, and other key points could improve that. With the 1911, I took twenty long paces from the target. With my stride, I would say it was just a hair more than 20 yards, maybe around 23. First shot went a little low and to the right. Adjusted my grip, and the rest of that magazine, and the next, made a nice 6"-8" group. I practiced from a draw, and the grouping opened up a little bit, which I had expected. However, all in all, I think having a longer barrel, and less recoil, made a huge difference.

4. Complaints- After only a few hours of drawing, and firing, I noticed the finish is rubbing off from the holster along the top of the slide. Going to see what I can do to prevent it from happening again. And prevent any further wear.

Overall- Great firearm, excellent quality, nice weight. I'm very impressed. Compared to other handguns I have had the joy of firing, I do certainly enjoy this style more than most others. I can honestly say, this will be the first, of many 1911s. And, with it's performance the other day, I now feel like it would be safe to use this as a primary carry piece. Due to the fact that it had no issues with quite a few rounds both fmj, and hollow.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Range report on SA 1911

Great report. Holster wear is going to happen, especially when you combine a parked finish with a plastic holster. 1911's look good with some wear on them. They aren't suppose to be a safe queen.

The trigger on that model is a "little" heavy, you might want to start there. Shoot it off a benchrest and see how accurate it really is, then you will have an idea of what the next step will be.

I have a TRP and a Leatham Legend (a Professional on order) presently. You'll find comfort in the SA forever guarantee. Any issues and they will send you a Fedex shipping label and you send it back. They pay the freight both ways. The 1911forum.com is a wealth of information. Be sure to scroll down to the Springfield forum.

Good luck with your new 1911,,,,,,,, shoot the shit out of it.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Venango County)

Yeah, I'm not to worried about light wear. I just don't want it to get too bad. I've been thinking about getting a new set of grips for it. Something a bit more aggressive.

I have to say, if this is a heavy trigger, I don't want to see a light one lol. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the trigger pull. Much better than on my taurus. I do need to get it on a rest though. One of these days when I find someone that has one, and can get the time to go out and do it.

I have to say one of the reasons I went with the SA is the warranty. I like that a company stands behind the product like that. And trust me, I am going to put more lead through here than I have with anything else. I am quite impressed with it.

(Lehigh County)

Exactly what kind of SA 1911 do you have?

I the Champion, which I like a lot. Although it requires quite a bit of after market adjustments and gunsmithing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    shoot the shit out of it.
    And I cosign that.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by thekino View Post
    Exactly what kind of SA 1911 do you have?

I the Champion, which I like a lot. Although it requires quite a bit of after market adjustments and gunsmithing.
    Parkerized mil spec. And, I love it. Figure it will be a good platform to start out with.

(Allegheny County)

1911's are easy guns to shoot, your going to love it.

So.... range report, how many rounds did you shoot ?

and, 1911's also require the owner know a little more about the gun than say a GLOCK, but its not rocket science.
    read:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...by-Bill-Wilson

what model exactly did you get ?

for grips, the VZ grips are pretty popular and can be had in "aggressive as hell". I am a fan of alumagrips. You need to try some different grips out.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    1911's are easy guns to shoot, your going to love it.

So.... range report, how many rounds did you shoot ?

and, 1911's also require the owner know a little more about the gun than say a GLOCK, but its not rocket science.
    read:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...by-Bill-Wilson

what model exactly did you get ?

for grips, the VZ grips are pretty popular and can be had in "aggressive as hell". I am a fan of alumagrips. You need to try some different grips out.
    I put 100 rounds of fmj, and about 150 hollow, and that was throughout the day. Thanks for that link. Before I picked it up, I did research on how to tear down and clean, how to tighten it up, change some parts out, and other basic info on it. I'm sure I'll learn a ton more as time goes on.

I picked up the mil spec, I had contemplated the GI, but I liked the sights on the mil better. I've seen some of the alumagrips, and I do have to admit, I like the way they look. I just want something that doesn't have the old school diamond checked wood pattern. And the plastic grips that came with it just look on the cheap side. I have been looking at a few different sets that are around, and there are a huge selection.