I hope you all like reading the statements of United States Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite of Florida 5th district. IF so, please consider sending her an email of THANKS

http://brown-waite.house.gov/News/Do...cumentID=77241

SECOND AMENDMENT GUARANTEES A RIGHT TO ALL AMERICANS

United States Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite of Florida

Washington, D.C., Oct 26 -

As you may know, on March 9, 2007, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that the District of Columbia’s gun ban is unconstitutional. The court clearly stated that individuals have the right to own a gun, denying the argument that the Second Amendment merely preserves a state’s ability to maintain a militia.

Our Founding Fathers considered the right to bear arms paramount, and the Second Amendment to the Constitution prohibits the federal government from denying law-abiding citizens the right to own and bear arms.

While legislation to ban firearms, ammunition, and equipment makes headlines, the truth is these antics simply divert attention from the real issue: an ineffective criminal justice system that cannot adequately prosecute violent predators. Of America's 4.3 million convicted criminals, barely 26% are in prison. New York City and Washington, D.C. itself are prime examples of the failure of radical gun control policies. While these two cities have the two most restrictive gun control laws in the country, they are both known for their violent criminal activity. These cities have gun control, but clearly little crime control.

I have personally experienced situations with social delinquents, and I should be able to defend myself. America needs tougher laws against criminal activity. The government should be concentrating on locking up criminals, not imposing penalties on law-abiding citizens who are merely exercising their right to protect their families.

On July 16, however, Mayor Adrian Fenty announced that Washington, DC, would appeal the Circuit Court’s ruling, and attempt to have the decision overturned by the Supreme Court. Please know that I am closely monitoring this important case and its wide-ranging implications.

Our nation must face the harsh realities of our ineffective criminal justice system, and work to solve the true evils that plague our nation. Gun control is neither the problem nor the solution.

It is my honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida's 5th Congressional District and my offices and staff are here to provide you with any assistance you may need.