Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default HK fact, fiction, myths, and lore.

Hey guys,
    Ergonomically I love the HK and will be buying one for my next pistol. As a Glock guy, I know all the myths and half-truths inside and out about the Glock (explosions, lead, .40, etc) but don't have the time or energy to delve into the HKs. So, focusing on 9mm and .45acp, what are the poplular opinions on the "best" models, which might I stay away from, which have had good/bad reports regarding reliability, etc. Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HK fact, fiction, myths, and lore.

Ive got a P30 and a USP. My p30 is a 9mm and my USP is a compact .40, I love them both but the P30 is so incredibly comfy. As a friend put it "it feels like shaking hands with god." Its THAT comfy to hold. The USP is a great gun, and I love it, it just doesnt compare. An HK45 is def. on my "to buy" list as they are pretty similar to the p30 grip wise, I havent shot one but I can only imagine it will perform just like my other HK products...flawless.

(Bucks County)

Well, if money isn't an issue, and you aren't planning to carry it, by all means check out the Mark 23. Also for carry, you can't go wrong with a P7, and I think the USPc is great! I carry the USP CT (sometimes) which shoots .45 and I love it dearly. She shoots straight and I have yet to have a single malfunction.
    I haven't checked out the newer models yet (HK45 etc.) so I won't bother attempting an opinion, but I hear good things.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by SierraPapa; September 11th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    Ive got a P30 and a USP. My p30 is a 9mm and my USP is a compact .40, I love them both but the P30 is so incredibly comfy. As a friend put it "it feels like shaking hands with god." Its THAT comfy to hold. The USP is a great gun, and I love it, it just doesnt compare. An HK45 is def. on my "to buy" list as they are pretty similar to the p30 grip wise, I havent shot one but I can only imagine it will perform just like my other HK products...flawless.
    P30 all the way. I have not shot one, but the grip is by far the best plastic gun grip out there, only considering guns that are worthy of defensive use.

My USP Compact 9mm was also the only malfunction free gun I have owned (even among Glocks).

I would think of the price as the difference between Yuengling and Coors light. Both do the job, but if you can swing it, never turn down a yuengling...

I guess except I will turn down Coors...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Bucks County)

the P30 is comfortable and proven reliable, 92 some odd thousand rounds tested through it.

id buy the hk45c if it had the spiderweb grip

P2000 in .40 was my first and best, carry it over the Glock or Smith unless size is an issue. I enjoy the DA/SA and the lack of an external safety (rolling Glock style, but it doesn't look like a toaster)...

People who can't afford an HK like to make fun of how much we spent and how "overbuilt" they are, deep down they just wish they had one. I used to have nightmares (yes, I did, lets not talk about it) that the initial trigger pull was too much, but then again I'm in love with my Geissele AR trigger, so, take that FWIW.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

I have two USPs, a compact in .40 and a Tactical in .40. My next fullsized pistol, won't be an H&K. It will be an FNP-Tactical in .45. This is why...H&K is a great gun, their customer service isn't as bad as everyone says(i've had to send mine back due to an error I made, not something that H&K messed up). Anyhow, they are nice, higher end pistol for sure, but they are kind of falling behind the times. They don't upgrade their models like glock does,(4 generations of upgrades). The FNP-Tactical does not have polygonal rifling like the H&K, but it does come with quite a few things that make it nice, like where you can mount an Optic Dr(holographic sight), ambi decocker, beveled magazine well(cost me $100 for a jet funnel on my USP), and some other neat things like tritium night sights. All for around $950

Now, not to hijack and talk up FN, if you are interested in the USPs, it's a good choice. Mine have only choked on handloads that were out of saami spec, waayyyyy out of spec may I add. It eats anything off the shelf while a friend's sig choked on some lighter loads. Accurate to make 25 meter head shots(the standard for a good combat handgun, I'm talking real combat, not arm chair quarterback/Call of Duty Modern warfare aficionados). Mine have eaten plenty of cast lead bullets with no problem(harder lead, cast at Kings shooter supplyhttp://www.betterbullets.com/). If i couldn't get an FNP, it would be another USP in a heartbeat. I think their is a decent aftermarket base for H&Ks as well, not to sure though. I do know that I will continue to carry my usp compact for most likely the rest of my life and never worry about it failing. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by animalmother85; September 12th, 2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

There are only a handful of reports of modern HK pistols having issues, these tend to be the 1 in a million type things, not something that is model related or batch related.

HK doesnt put out "generations" like Glock, but they do improve on older designs. The USP design was a good design, but after 10 years, they tweaked it a bit into the P2000 and years after that, the P30 and HK45.

The current P30 and HK45 models are very good. Ergonomically they are better than the USP, but the ergo's on the USP werent bad to begin with for a combat handgun.

Customer Service at HK is much better now. Parts availability is much more common now too.

What sets HK apart from everyone else is that they engineer and test their products like no one else. They arent the fastest company to release a product, but when their product comes out, you can bet it will be 100% reliable, functional, and there wont be recalls, kabooms, etc that bad myths and rumors are built on.

The most negative thing you will ever hear about HK from the internet are that they are more expensive than others.

I'm ok with that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    They don't upgrade their models like glock does,(4 generations of upgrades).
    What is the USP missing?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

I have had my P30 for a couple months now and absolutely love it. The gun felt perfect in my hands when I tried it at the store. And if you dont like he standard size it has interchangeable grips for different size hands.

The only problem I have heard regarding the P30 is the stiffness of the recoil spring. It tends to prefer hotter ammo right out of the box. I, however, didn't have a single problem. No FTEs or FTFs. This gun has been the best choice for me.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast