Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default beretta 85f or sig232

ive been looking for a good all around small caliber gun so that i can go plinking as well as conceal carry. and i narrowed it down to the sig 232 and beretta 85 cheetah both in 380.

i prefer the beretta over the sig because i like the look of the 92fs.

could you tell me your experiences with both guns?
    if you have the cheetah and the 92fs would you post pics of them side by side so i can compare the size?
    and would concealing the beretta be a hassle?

thanks in advance
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

Default Re: beretta 85f or sig232

the 232 is not a plinker. so if plinking matters (which you say it does) the 85 is going to fit the bill much better (though personally i'm not a fan of the 85 for plinking either... or any .380 for that matter). as an aside i do own a .380 pocket gun, so i'm not anti-380 in principle.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with BlueGun, neither are plinkers. The Sig is actually uncomfortable to shoot and has more perceived recoil then my P220 in .45 ACP. Go and find a way to shoot them both before you buy, unless you want to buy it then post it here in the classifieds a year later.

If you want a defense weapon, a Smith 642 will fill the bill. If you want a plinker, a Ruger Mark III is a fine choice and very very accurate. However, those are my picks as I own both...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by irishpilot View Post
    ive been looking for a good all around small caliber gun so that i can go plinking as well as conceal carry. and i narrowed it down to the sig 232 and beretta 85 cheetah both in 380.

i prefer the beretta over the sig because i like the look of the 92fs.

if you have the cheetah and the 92fs would you post pics of them side by side so i can compare the size?
    and would concealing the beretta be a hassle?

thanks in advance

OP, i realize i could be a little more helpful (possibly). you said you want a "small caliber" for plinking and concealed carry. in all honesty, given the construction of the 85, i find an M&P 9c to be easier to conceal, similar capacity, easier-to-find ammo (the .380 shortage is a real concern for plinking purposes). the M&P9c shoots easier than the .380 85 in my opinion.

will this be your only handgun? i would seriously consider a compact 9mm. for the price of a 232, spend a little more and get a karh pm9 if you want something borderline pocket carry. this will be more shootable. sitll not a "plinker" in any traditional sense.

i would get a 22 for plinking (as Steve said, an MKIII). you can afford to shoot hundreds of rounds, dirt cheap. i would get a 9mm for concealed carry OR if you really want a pocket gun get the 232 (though personally i wouldn't want a single action pocket gun unless i was super-experienced with the 1911 platform that the 232 is modeled on). EDIT. I'm a saturday morning idiot. All this time my mind was imagining a p238. that said, my opinion remains unchanged. Thanks to Steve, whose comment below made me wake up).

you could also get a used MKiii .22 and a taurus TCP or Ruger LCP (both .380) for a little more than the price of a 232. the tcp shoots softer than the LCP, though lots of people on this board complain about all things Taurus. both are sensitive to HP ammo, due to such small size, so you need to try out various options to see what feeds.
    Last edited by BlueGunGuy; September 11th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

(Montgomery County)

The P232 is modeled after the Walther PPK/PP series. It is a straight blowback pistol with no mechanical delay for the recoil pulse. I highly encourage you to shoot one before buying it...

.380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm Luger and is less versatile. Do some research on ammo prices...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

thanks for the replys and i understand what you all are saying but I didnt write the use of the guns as i intended.
    i do have a 22lr heritage revolver as my plinker and i own 9mm ruger sr9c.
    this gun wont be used as a 22 plinker or one that i would shoot a box or two often, rather a box maybe a month or so. its main purpose would be to have a conceal carry.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

(Bucks County)

Before I offer an opinion, irish . . .

Are you sold on either the Beretta 85f or the SIG 232? Or are you open to other suggestions for a small concealable pistol?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpilot View Post

thanks in advance

Thats a 84 not a 85 so it's the dbl stack version. Good pistol but not very forgiveing aim wise. It will shoot where your pointing it and the littleist shake will effect it.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

the sig 232 is a fun gun to shoot and can be used as a plinker providing you don't mind paying the high cost for 380 ammo. i had a p230 and put quite a few rounds through it and found the gun to be comfortable to shoot, decent accuracy with minimal felt recoil. if you're looking for a carry gun i think there are much better options than the 232, likewise if you're looking for a plinker there are much better options than the 232. if you just want to add a 232 to the collection so you'll have on to take to the range the 232 is a great gun but for carry you're better off buying a kahr p380, ruger lcp, keltec, or sig p238 to name a few.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a 232 and fondled a friend's 85 but didn't shoot it.
    I never put the two side by side but I'm guessing the 232 might conceal better due to size and ergonomics. I don't find the recoil to be an issue on the 232 and the few times I've shot it seems to be an accurate pistol.

That being said I also like the look of the 85 Cheetah and would certainly consider one if a good opportunity presented itself. They're very different guns except for caliber so I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast