Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: beretta 85f or sig232

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    .380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm Luger and is less versatile. Do some research on ammo prices...
    For about ten years I've had a beretta 86 (same as an 85 except with a tip up barrell). It is very accurate and pleasant to shoot. You can shoot it all day without any discomfort. A good gun if you like to shoot.

(Monroe County)

I always loved the Beretta 84/85 series pistolas, so comfortable to shoot.

(Centre County)

my choice would be a 84F(I'd get 85F with factory Chrome, but 85 i bit too fat of grip for my wife to shoot).

Its bit on expensive side, but fit/finish is superb.
    And I have 92F, and 96D. So choice would be natural.

With that being said, Sig232 is a superb small pistol as well. just that its grip don't fit my hand too well(but well enough with Hogue grip tho), and I don't think their DA trigger isn't as smooth as Beretta IMO.

I think you can get CZ 83(basicly a same size gun, minus decocker?)) for less then $500...
    Last edited by Mity2; September 13th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I think you can get CZ 83(basicly a same size gun, minus decocker?)) for less then $500...
    The CZ 83 has a double stack magazine. For the last two years I've used it & the Beretta 86 in the "Basic Pistol Course". More shooters liked the feel of the CZ 83 than any pistol that I have ever used in fifteen years. It also is very accurate and shoots great. The double stack magazine makes it a bit fat for carry, but the magazine holds 12 (you can cram 13 in, but it will jam).

(Berks County)

Had a Beretta 8f and I did have fun shooting it. Downside to it was the larger grip made it difficult to conceal. With that much bulk, carrying a Colt Commander was easier for me at that time.

Traded it for an Interarms PPK in stainless, and used that in an ankle holster, and enjoyed it.

If size is an issue, consider the kel tec or ruger lcp, as they are as small and conceable as they come in that caliber.

good luck in your decision
    gotta love her ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Had a Beretta 8f and I did have fun shooting it. Downside to it was the larger grip made it difficult to conceal. With that much bulk, carrying a Colt Commander was easier for me at that time.

Traded it for an Interarms PPK in stainless, and used that in an ankle holster, and enjoyed it.

If size is an issue, consider the kel tec or ruger lcp, as they are as small and conceable as they come in that caliber.

good luck in your decision
    this is going to sound absurd, but i honestly think my tcp (taurus version of lcp, known to shoot softer than the lcp) shoots softer than the 85. seriously, 85 is handsome, decent (not amazing) capacity, but just not impressive on recoil. my M&P9c is DEFINITELY softer shooting, and more accurate.

(Delaware County)

I had the very similar 84F years ago (around '94-'95). It is a high higher capacity version (13+1 double stack). I liked it well enough but the handle was a little too thick (for my taste) for concealed carry. I ended up wanted to go to 9mm for ammo price purposes, and every other handgun I owned at the time was 9mm, so I traded it for cash and a S&W 940 (9mm revolver) which I carried religiously for 5 or 6 years (and still have).

I imagine if I had the lower capacity 85F, single stack version I'd probably still have it.

When I bought the 84F i was considering the PPK (232's designed after) but heard (not read...before the internet grew up) too much about "widow's bite" to want to deal with it. Not sure if the 232 has that same characteristic. I've never experienced the widow's bite so I'll leave it to someone else to describe for fear that I might not do it justice but basically, as I understand it, and improperly held PPK, upon firing, the slide will catch you above the webbing between the thumb and index finger.

Anywho...my 84F never stovepiped or FTF'd or otherwise jammed.
    Last edited by Foofer; September 15th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

(Monroe County)

I wish there was a wolf spring kit for the 84 like my 92.
    I got it on a impulse for my wife back in '04 for $430.
    Not the best deal on a pistol I've ever gotten but not the worst.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    this is going to sound absurd, but i honestly think my tcp (taurus version of lcp, known to shoot softer than the lcp) shoots softer than the 85. seriously, 85 is handsome, decent (not amazing) capacity, but just not impressive on recoil. my M&P9c is DEFINITELY softer shooting, and more accurate.
    About a month ago I shot a Ruger LCP. I do not care to ever shoot one again. I am 63, have arthritus, and want to be able to keep shooting. I enjoy shooting the CZ 83 and Beretta 86.

(Bucks County)

I've had a Beretta 85F-P .380 since 1991 and absoutly love it so given your two options I would go with the Beretta hands down. But...I would also suggest something along the lines of a Kahr PM9

Beretta 85F
    Caliber 9x17mm (38O ACP)
    Capacity 8 round magazine
    Action straight blowback operated semi-automatic with traditional DA/SA trigger mechanism
    Construction steel slide with aluminum alloy frame
    Barrel 3.8" chrome plated chamber and bore
    Rifling 6 grooves, RH, 1 in 9.8" pitch
    Length 6.8"
    Width 1.4"
    Grip width 1.2"
    Height 4.8"

Kahr PM9
    PM9093A (3" Barrel) Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
    6+1, 7+1 (magazine with grip extension)
    3.0", polygonal rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
    Length 5.3"