Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ever seen this?

(Allegheny County)

Default Ever seen this?

I appologize in advance for the low resolution of my cell's pics. I used back lighting so you can get the general idea from the pics.
    I bought a used CZ75B for $300. The finish isn't even worn all the way off the slide rails. Took it to the range. Ran well, surprisingly accurate. Only problem is:
    08-29-10_1755.jpg

08-29-10_1756.jpg

08-29-10_1757.jpg

08-29-10_1758.jpg

08-29-10_1800.jpg
    This was Speer Lawman factory ammo, 50 round box. One of these I'm sure was the last shot of the mag at slide lock, the other was laying on the shooting table so I can't be positive.
    The last picture kinda shows the "dent" goin across the casing. This dent matches perfectly on the rear of the ejection port. My best guess is that the last case ejected is being whipped around and getting mangled on the rear of the ejection port and extractor.
    Is this something that can be fixed?
    I don't think it's anything to be concearned about from a safety standpoint (I hope), but is it going to eventually ruin the gun, or parts thereof.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    "No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it," George Carlin

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ever seen this?

Hold the camera further away it'll focus much better.
    Μολὼν λάβε

same thing happens to my m3hb but for different reasons (buffer not broken in). seems like shells are getting hung up on ejection, maybe to stiff of a spring or screwed up loads (to light)
    FJB

One of the H&K pistols use to have a problem with damaging fired casing so re loading was difficult if not impossible. It was an accurate gun it just destroyed the empty casing, can't remember exactly which one.

I'd try a different brand pf ammo if the same thing happen realize that you won't be reloading this guns empties.

(Lancaster County)

Yeah, try different ammo and matbe shoot it some more, it might still need to be broke in.

As for safety issue. Did you wipe off those cases before taking the pic? The brass looks clean so the pistol isn't opening to soon after firing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Yeah, try different ammo and matbe shoot it some more, it might still need to be broke in.

As for safety issue. Did you wipe off those cases before taking the pic? The brass looks clean so the pistol isn't opening to soon after firing.
    No the brass is as it was upon ejection.
    I think you could be right and it might just need broken in. The condition of it looked as though whoever had it before me fired it once, didn't like it, and sold it off.
    Here's a couple more Zapruder film quality pics:
    09-12-10_1422.jpg

09-12-10_1423.jpg
    You can see how the dent across the case mouth fits perfectly onto the "scallop" shape of the rear of the port and extractor. Like I said my best educated guess is that when the slide locks on an empty mag, the inertia is different than when it's returning to battery. I think the casing is just whipping back and hitting the stationary slide... HARD. Without the Mythbusters and their high speed camera it's all just a guess though.
    One guy I showed the pics to told me "Don't ever fire that gun again 'cause it might blow up in your hand or face!"
    That seems a little dramatic and silly to me, but maybe I'm dismissing some huge mechanical danger, which is why I thought I'd get some opinions here on the forum (where I've never really gotten any bad advice) as to weather or not it poses a safety issue.
    I don't reload, at least not yet, so reusable brass really isn't that much of a issue.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    "No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it," George Carlin

(York County)

...yea, I don't consider myself an expert but that kind of damage to ejected casings do not raise an "explosion" flag in my head. More than likely it's a break in issue.
    GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Dauphin County)

I have 2 CZ's, an 85B (which is just an ambidextrous 75B) and a 75B Semi-compact. They both eject the last round differently than the first 15 or 16. the last round always ejects almost straight back, and only about 2 or 3 feet, as opposed to the others, which eject about 8 to 10 feet toward my 4 o'clock position. I believe this is because there is not another round in the magazine pressing up on the case being ejected, so it acts differently. I have never had any that look like yours, though. According to your pictures they seem to be hitting the ejection port very hard.

It is always on the last round?

Has it ever jammed in the ejection port when the slide is trying to close?

I do not agree that it is a dangerous situation. Shoot it more, mark your magazines so you can tell if it is related to only one, or if all mags act the same. Find each piece of brass before shooting another round to see if it is only on the last round, or not. Also, shoot some different brands and weights of ammo. It can make a difference.

CZ's are quality firearms, no matter what people who don't own one, or have not heard of them, say. Keep working to isolate the problem, and take it from there.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.